Atheism Thread

Just a little religious humor...

216160_485799884764116_1413470015_n.jpg

In too deep is a good song at least. Phil Collins wrote two good songs that I know of. In too deep and In the Air tonight.

I don't like organised religion for myself as I didn't get anything out of it.
I recall my uncle snapping at me that I was not athiest but agnostic since I can't prove God doesn't exist. That's fine then I'm agnostic. I won't hold an indivual's faith against them because someone else I know is hateful in the name of religion.
People will use many tools at their disposal to keep others feeling bad about themselves. Religion is only one of those but as a youngster it did convince me to ignore the various churches I'd been too. I didn't have enough life experience to seperate the hypocrites from the spirtual. I think spirituality can work for indivuals but as Mark Twain once said:
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”

I don't have the right mindset to go looking outside of humanity for answers as I see all bibles as made by humans and just a part of it. I don't have it in me to believe in God/s or pagan wiccanism. Ths girl I work with regularly cries about being very staunch in her church and everyone else is bad, flitters between paganism because two other girls we work with are pagans, christian again, pagan, sobs and cries, christian because of her parents and old friends, then pagan, etc.
Jesus. ;)

I'd love to believe in Harry Potter as an afterlife... [if heaven exists hopefully that be where I go]

I do think God, creationism has nothing to do with beauty if society dictates what is pretty. Not to mention the mugshots of crack and methheads throughout their criminal career prove.
You can become ugly. So genetics are just a step-up but not permanent.
Besides, beautiful people can be crazy too.
So is natural selection really all that selective either? Bipolar and manic depression and all that jazz.

Why if there is a god does he care about which country wins the olympics? I didn't get that one at all more so than favouring particular people with being pretty for a higher purpose.

In too deep is a good song at least. Phil Collins wrote two good songs that I know of. In too deep and In the Air tonight.

I don't like organised religion for myself as I didn't get anything out of it.
I recall my uncle snapping at me that I was not athiest but agnostic since I can't prove God doesn't exist. That's fine then I'm agnostic. I won't hold an indivual's faith against them because someone else I know is hateful in the name of religion.
People will use many tools at their disposal to keep others feeling bad about themselves. Religion is only one of those but as a youngster it did convince me to ignore the various churches I'd been too. I didn't have enough life experience to seperate the hypocrites from the spirtual. I think spirituality can work for indivuals but as Mark Twain once said:
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”

I don't have the right mindset to go looking outside of humanity for answers as I see all bibles as made by humans and just a part of it. I don't have it in me to believe in God/s or pagan wiccanism. Ths girl I work with regularly cries about being very staunch in her church and everyone else is bad, flitters between paganism because two other girls we work with are pagans, christian again, pagan, sobs and cries, christian because of her parents and old friends, then pagan, etc.
Jesus. ;)

I'd love to believe in Harry Potter as an afterlife... [if heaven exists hopefully that be where I go]

I do think God, creationism has nothing to do with beauty if society dictates what is pretty. Not to mention the mugshots of crack and methheads throughout their criminal career prove.
You can become ugly. So genetics are just a step-up but not permanent.
Besides, beautiful people can be crazy too.
So is natural selection really all that selective either? Bipolar and manic depression and all that jazz.

You sound really normal and healthy and balanced.

Why if there is a god does he care about which country wins the olympics? I didn't get that one at all more so than favouring particular people with being pretty for a higher purpose.

Ya, this line of thinking is the ugly side of religion--tribalism, ethnocentricity, and xenophobia. It maims and kills.

You must not know about this song...

Last edited by a moderator:
You sound really normal and healthy and balanced.

Ya, this line of thinking is the ugly side of religion--tribalism, ethnocentricity, and xenophobia. It maims and kills.

Thanks. :)

VivaHate - I forgot about easy lover. That's another good song.
I just hated 'another day in paradise'. It depressed me as a child whenever I heard it or 'fast car' by Traci Chapman I felt depressed.
but not in a good way like sad Morrissey songs.

I had Phil as my error page on my long defunt John Malkovich site. if a link didn't work it took them to old Phil waiting for them in the rain and they were late.
I don't know why it wasn't more popular.
He wore a skinny tie.

He's the original emo fashion kid with his little boy stripe shirts.

But, atheism is not a theory. It states nothing. Show me why you believe it is a theory. Is not believing in pink elephants a theory? How?

If you are gonna be a member of the tribe, it would be helpful to have a good understanding of the terms and concepts that atheists sometimes employ. And at the very least, an accurate definition of atheism. You wouldn't, after all, want to profess to agree with something or rather, in this case, "the nothing" unless you knew what you were agreeing to.

But, I'm glad to have you on board. Cheers.

Just sent you a PM with a bit more on the rationale behind the "theory/non-theory" distinction.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't furrowing my brow in reading your second paragraph. I'll confine myself to saying that my understanding of the " ...terms and concepts..." of atheism is altogether quite competent and informed.

But ....it's only the internet ... so , from one godless heathen to another - no hard feelings :) ?

Last edited:
Just sent you a PM with a bit more on the rationale behind the "theory/non-theory" distinction.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't furrowing my brow in reading your second paragraph. I'll confine myself to saying that my understanding of the " ...terms and concepts..." of atheism is altogether quite competent and informed.

But ....it's only the internet ... so , from one godless heathen to another - no hard feelings :) ?

I'm sorry. That was over the top. I was making inaccurate assumptions regarding your knowledge and atheist identity.

Last edited:
thread for people to pretend to be intellectuals but it's not really working

but more interestingly what are you doing on the playboy site?

there is this thing called google. It's new and not too many people know about it, but if you are trying to seem intelligent, and you would like to post something, like a link to an interview with someone that is known for being an intellectual defender of your beliefs, say, "Richard Dawkins," you might type that name into the google search box and come up with an interview at Playboy. It's really cool because you don't have to randomly read everything posted on the Internet to find something you want.

Great interview I particularly liked this ...

PLAYBOY: Do you have any deeply religious friends?

DAWKINS: No. It’s not that I shun them; it’s that the circles I move in tend to be educated, intelligent circles, and there aren’t any religious people among them.

Love him. He tells it like it is. :D

but more interestingly what are you doing on the playboy site?

Reading the articles and interviews like everybody else. :p

Actually, the link to the interview was posted on my facebook by his official site.

where's the actual proof the big bang even existed? it's all theories...we don't even have an exact date how old the earth is. never mind big bangs and that nonsense.

where's the actual proof the big bang even existed? it's all theories...we don't even have an exact date how old the earth is. never mind big bangs and that nonsense.

Hey Davie, you know the static you get on your TV when it is not tuned properly? Well, that static is proof of the big bang. It's pretty cool.

Love him. He tells it like it is. :D

But in that brief blurb of his here, it sounds like what he's saying is that anyone Christian is an uneducated, backwoods philistine...which is essentially the exact same thing I said about atheists being morons that you took such umbrage with and which spawned this thread in the first place.

But apparently it's OK to generalize negatively, as long as it's a generalization in favor of your point of view?

Back
Top Bottom