Atheism Thread

What stuff? What instruments?

Cameras, both 35mm and digital...video cameras, sound recorders, thermometers, compasses, EMF meters, polygraph machines...all of these things have documented unexplained phenomena or accounts thereof.

You are telling me you don't see a smugness in atheism?

Even if an atheist is appearing self-righteous or smug, this does not render their argument invalid.

Those are ad hominem attacks. Attacking the tone and or attitude, is attacking the person. It is like saying atheists are angry. Or atheists are loud. What do those things have to do with the quality and merit of an argument?

Even if an atheist is appearing self-righteous or smug, this does not render their argument invalid.

Those are ad hominem attacks. Attacking the tone and or attitude, is attacking the person. It is like saying atheists are angry. Or atheists are loud. What do those things have to do with the quality and merit of an argument?

Jesus CHRIST, woman...

No pun intended.

Cameras, both 35mm and digital...video cameras, sound recorders, thermometers, compasses, EMF meters, polygraph machines...all of these things have documented unexplained phenomena or accounts thereof.

Things were found using tools. These things clearly are a part of the natural world and have natural explanations--not supernatural ones. If I measure a sound with a recording devise, then I have discovered something that is a natural phenomena occurring in the natural world. What is this sound? This is the question? I can use scientific tools to explain this sound. If I don't have the tools to explain this sound, then I can say "I don't know what this sound is, but one day I may have the tools to understand it." But in the meantime, I don't need to create a supernatural explanation to fill in the blanks. I can be patient and put my faith in technology and science, that one day the answers will be known.

Things were found using tools. These things clearly are a part of the natural world and have natural explanations--not supernatural ones. If I measure a sound with a recording devise, then I have discovered something that is a natural phenomena occurring in the natural world. What is this sound? This is the question? I can use scientific tools to explain this sound. If I don't have the tools to explain this sound, then I can say "I don't know what this sound is, but one day I may have the tools to understand it." But in the meantime, I don't need to create a supernatural explanation to fill in the blanks. I can be patient and put my faith in technology and science, that one day the answers will be known.

Put that way, I think we are saying the exact same thing. Kind of.

Since the word "God" has many different meanings, it is possible for the sentence "God exists" to express many different propositions. What we need to do is to focus on each proposition separately. … For each different sense of the term "God," there will be theists, atheists, and agnostics relative to that concept of God
-Theodore Drange

fo mo info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism
:thumb:

Last edited:
Since the word "God" has many different meanings, it is possible for the sentence "God exists" to express many different propositions. What we need to do is to focus on each proposition separately. … For each different sense of the term "God," there will be theists, atheists, and agnostics relative to that concept of God
-Theodore Drange

fo mo info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism
:thumb:

The concept must be defined clearly. Agreed.

My definition of god is a supernatural designer/creator of the universe(s), who may or may not have a continued involvement in how things operate/evolve.

I don't see why the big bang proves or disproves anything. It doesn't prove or disprove that when you die you die, and this is what really concerns us humans I guess. It doesn't disprove the belief of reincarnation or any other after life. It offers insight into the history of the Universe but not a lot else - and that's providing it's correct and I've no reason to believe that it isn't. It does make the existence of a Christian God in the way that we are taught far less believable but spiritually it doesn't offer a lot of insight.

The Big Bang theory does not explain why we exist i.e. "Why is there something rather than nothing?" We don't know the answer to this--yet. But we can look to other theories and philosophies to answer questions such as, What is the meaning of life? Why do we die? And, what does it mean to be conscious? Many people feel that religion can give satisfying answers to these questions. I don't doubt this. I just don't find their answers to be satisfying to me.

Sure it did. It reincarnated as a debate about God. Only this time, no Death Disco.

Come on. This thread has very little to do with the subject and more to do with two people who like to argue...the topic is just an excuse, really.

Come on. This thread has very little to do with the subject and more to do with two people who like to argue...the topic is just an excuse, really.

I'll grant you that much, but let it be noted that at the outset of this "debate" I made it very clear that I had an admittedly limited attention span for this argument.

I'll grant you that much, but let it be noted that at the outset of this "debate" I made it very clear that I had an admittedly limited attention span for this argument.

Clearly you don't have as much invested in this argument as someone who retained something you said awhile ago, stewed on it for God knows how long & waited until you made a comment they could call you out on it for.

Clearly you don't have as much invested in this argument as someone who retained something you said awhile ago, stewed on it for God knows how long & waited until you made a comment they could call you out on it for.

Yeah, well, you know how it goes...the less someone is convinced of something they want to believe in, the more they have to keep saying they are convinced.

Yeah, well, you know how it goes...the less someone is convinced of something they want to believe in, the more they have to keep saying they are convinced.

To quote a movie a certain someone around here doesn't like:

"And that's how I know he can be beaten...because he's a fanatic & the fanatic is always concealing a secret doubt."

Back
Top Bottom