R.I.P Gore Vidal

http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/xhn77/gore_vidal_dead_at_86/

I posted about it on reddit earlier. Gore Vidal was a genius, and his influence shows in Moz's work, its completely obvious in the pen-pal letters with Mackie. Closest thing America's had to an Oscar Wilde.

I agree with all you say, but it's unlikely to be developed as a theme today. Apparently a 'moderator' has decided this crucial link between Morrissey's entire worldview and that of Gore Vidal is 'off-topic'. Clearly, some moderators have an extremely limited understanding of Morrissey in particular and modern cultural trail-blazers in general.

Regards.

Gore wasn't 'off-topic' in 2004.

Forums
Archives
Archive
General Discussion archive (read-only)
General Discussion 1999-2009 archive (read-only)
General Discussion archive 2004 (read-only)
Gore Vidal, Morrissey & Tony Wilson

Last edited:
How many times have you read Myra Breckinridge, Brums?

I like when William Buckley threatened to punch him in the face.

Gore Vidal was a great man and thinker.

Hitchens lost credibility with me the moment he because an apologist for authoritarianism once it fit his own agenda [you don't have to support aggressive wars to not support Islam]. This is a great problem with many purported leftists.

The first time I became aware of Gore Vidal was from his excellent performance in Tim Robbins's delightful political satire/mockumentary film "Bob Roberts".

Gore Vidal played a genteel, Kennedy-esque, elder statesman Senator running for re-election against a fast-talking right-wing
conservative folk singer.

For a film that was released in 1992, it's still very relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
real big fan of his work, sad to see him go, but 86 is a pretty good run :o
also, wondering if we might get a little sound bite from Moz about him(Gore V) sometime in the near future :confused:
I suppose then he would "qualify" for the GD :rolleyes:

How many times have you read Myra Breckinridge, Brums?

I asked BrummieBoy and he said that information about his reading habits is 'classified'.

He asks you to note the comparision between Gore's original work and the 'film' which traduced it:

http://deadspin.com/5930811/gore-vi...e-became-one-of-the-weirdest-movies-ever-made

He further remarked that a similar comparison exists between Morrissey's 'authentic' oevure and the remix-mash up of his persona on this site which has, of course, reduced Morrissey to a figure of ridicule amongst the cognoscenti. He believes that Morrissey has concealed his obsession with Vidal as well as he has his adulation of Cohen.

Gore Vidal has not died. He lives on........

regards

SharonMcCormick-Secretary to 'BrummieBoy'.

myra.jpg

Last edited:
The first time I became aware of Gore Vidal was from his excellent performance in Tim Robbins's delightful political satire/mockumentary film "Bob Roberts".

Gore Vidal played a genteel, Kennedy-esque, elder statesman Senator running for re-election against a fast-talking right-wing
conservative folk singer.

For a film that was released in 1992, it's still very relevant.

A homeless Joe Pesci PWNS him in 'With Honors' too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an interesting piece on Vidal from the American news program 60 Minutes. It's from July 1975. The footage is cool timewarp fun. Hope the Brits can see it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504803_162-57484763-10391709/gore-vidals-elegance-and-gloom/

LBJ: corn-pone Genghis Khan....so that's where Kunstler sourced the Clusterf***.

wonder if he managed to service LBJ:

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/1867/10-biggest-pricks-in-american-political-history/

JFK on LBJ: "you know, Lyndon's very active" lol!

this 'pinko commie fag' is the only man who's ever made me wish I wasn't a Brit.....prescient on Peak Oil towards the end, didn't realise the Wall Street fraudsters would find a way to fund 'Morning in America'.

priceless footage.

regards

lbj.jpg:horny:

I asked BrummieBoy and he said that information about his reading habits is 'classified'.

He asks you to note the comparision between Gore's original work and the 'film' which traduced it:

http://deadspin.com/5930811/gore-vi...e-became-one-of-the-weirdest-movies-ever-made

He further remarked that a similar comparison exists between Morrissey's 'authentic' oevure and the remix-mash up of his persona on this site which has, of course, reduced Morrissey to a figure of ridicule amongst the cognoscenti. He believes that Morrissey has concealed his obsession with Vidal as well as he has his adulation of Cohen.

Gore Vidal has not died. He lives on........

regards

SharonMcCormick-Secretary to 'BrummieBoy'.

View attachment 13798

While there are many similarities between Vidal and Morrissey, I think one essential difference is that Morrissey believes in love. He may say he doesn't, but he does. That is not fangurl projection, that is my opinion based on his poetic catalogue.

While there are many similarities between Vidal and Morrissey, I think one essential difference is that Morrissey believes in love. He may say he doesn't, but he does. That is not fangurl projection, that is my opinion based on his poetic catalogue.

Morrissey 'loves' his audience, his co-dependent partners in social narcissism. It's a cult.

Vidal loved sex.

Morrissey's 'Roman Holiday' was an attempt to follow in Gore's footsteps. I'm surprised Morrissey let Sting buy the gaff at Ravello, but I guess he had to pay the bills for his High Court vanities. In a 100 years time, Vidal will still be the front page, Morrissey will be a footnote.

regards

Back
Top Bottom