Dream Pop and Shoegaze

Of all the genres of music I've listened to or bothered to check out, these two have to be the most enduring

Slowdive

My Bloody Valentine

Mazzy Star

Hum

Curve

Medicine

Lush

Pale Saints

these are just a few of my favourtite things.

If there are any other bands of this nature that I should be listening to, please correct me

I was recently listening to Slowdive. I posted a link to one of their youtube videos too.
great genres.

Try these:

Ride

Wild Nothing

Cocteau Twins

The Radio Dept

Tamaryn

Helios

Engineers

The Echelon Effect

A Dancing Beggar

:guitar:

gr8 list, especially "Lush" :guitar: saw somebody added "Cocteau Twins" already :love:
expanding the envelope a little :o you might like:

Röyksopp
Chameleons UK
Air
Imogen Heap
The Sundays(who I am listening to right now)
and very recently:
there is a "dreamy pop" quality to:
Lana Del Rey

these are just off the top of my drunken head though :squiffy:

Try these:

Ride

Wild Nothing

Cocteau Twins

The Radio Dept

Tamaryn

Helios

Engineers

The Echelon Effect

A Dancing Beggar

:guitar:

I always found Ride and the Radio Dept. to be overrated

the Cocteau Twins I've been a fan of for a long time and simply forgot to add.

Has anyone heard the band My Vitriol? They put out one album about 10 years ago, then released singles and EPs sporadically ever after. I just bought the 2-cd version of that debut on Amazon and am eagerly awaiting it

will check out these other bands some of you recommended, thanks.

gr8 list, especially "Lush" :guitar:

I know, right? This song/video is trance-inducing:

I lost interest in them with that last album they dropped in '96 though; it was all-pop and no-dream

Last edited by a moderator:
Ride don't quite fit into the shoegaze genre.

I saw Slowdive open for Ride many years ago. I'm not sure it would be possible to overstate the contrast between the two bands. Onstage, Slowdive looked like they were napping on their feet. There was no energy, artistry, or talent on display. I was astonished to see the band visibly trying to look bored and dreamy: professional mopers. They telegraphed their minimalism to a laughable degree.

Then Ride came on and blew the roof off. They did the fast, rocky stuff better; they did the slower, cinematic, textbook-shoegaze sound better; they did everything better, with charisma and talent to burn. Ride's problem was that they were far better and bigger than the shoegaze genre and they knew it. Weirdly, though, when they actually tried to step into being what they already were-- one of the best rock bands in the world-- they stumbled badly and lost their identity. One of the weirder stories of the 90s.

and very recently:
there is a "dreamy pop" quality to:
Lana Del Rey

If you're going to go there, you should check out Maria Minerva and Laurel Halo. And going back in time, why not Julee Cruise?

Last edited:
I've been paying attention to the band A Place to Bury Strangers for about five years now. They're pretty good, except they brickwall their sound into sheer white noise

there's this other current band called Ringo Deathstarr that are pretty rad. They sound like all your favourite shoegaze bands in one, especially MBV and the Jesus & Mary Chain. Worth checking out if you have the intuition

I've been paying attention to the band A Place to Bury Strangers for about five years now. They're pretty good, except they brickwall their sound into sheer white noise

there's this other current band called Ringo Deathstarr that are pretty rad. They sound like all your favourite shoegaze bands in one, especially MBV and the Jesus & Mary Chain. Worth checking out if you have the intuition

Speaking of which , I heard "Psychocandy" and "Darklands" for the first time a couple of weeks ago ( yes, I've had a sheltered life). I can only say I was thoroughly underwhelmed. There just didn't seem to be anything at all in the way of song structure.

Oh, and on Lush , I thought the song "Last Night" atoned for all other sins their final (?) album might have featured. One of my favourite songs of all time...

here we are:

Beautiful shoegazey goodness. My new love

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of which , I heard "Psychocandy" and "Darklands" for the first time a couple of weeks ago ( yes, I've had a sheltered life). I can only say I was thoroughly underwhelmed. There just didn't seem to be anything at all in the way of song structure.

Oh, and on Lush , I thought the song "Last Night" atoned for all other sins their final (?) album might have featured. One of my favourite songs of all time...

Give 'Darklands' and especially 'Psychocandy' some time. They're an acquired taste that will sort themselves out with repeated listens. Soon you'll be singing their praises

Psychocandy, especially. I felt the same way the first few times I heard it but I kept listening and now I'll champion that album as worthy of every bit of praise it's received

Give 'Darklands' and especially 'Psychocandy' some time. They're an acquired taste that will sort themselves out with repeated listens. Soon you'll be singing their praises

Psychocandy, especially. I felt the same way the first few times I heard it but I kept listening and now I'll champion that album as worthy of every bit of praise it's received

I know , I know - it's just that there doesn't seem to be any hook sufficient to lure me into giving them the attention they may deserve.

Just while I've got you ,Thesmithsmorrissey, is there any chance that you might combine a song or two from the bands you've mentioned above into a "Best of Shoegaze" compilation ? And then consider posting it here as a download ?

At some stage ... maybe ?

Last edited:
A Place To Bury Strangers is a decent band, yeah.

The Jesus And Mary Chain were only occasionally good. Most of their stuff sounds the same. It's just that when they were good, they were really good; "Psychocandy" is a classic album mainly because it sounded fresh and challenging at the time, and the band's pugnacious attitude was really striking. I don't think their albums in the late 80s and early 90s were received as warmly, though they'd still turn out a killer track now and then.

A lot of what I own is on my Ipod, with the physical versions at my house back in the U.S.

so I might be able to make a shoegaze "best of" for you, but dunno about posting it here for download because I may not have that capability with my scedule in the near future...

No worries - thanks anyway for the answer...:)

Back
Top Bottom