Manchester - Manchester Arena (July 28, 2012) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

You Have Killed Me / Everyday Is Like Sunday / You're The One For Me, Fatty / How Soon Is Now? / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Maladjusted / Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me / When Last I Spoke To Carol / People Are The Same Everywhere / I Know It's Over / To Give (The Reason I Live) / Black Cloud / Scandinavia / Meat Is Murder / Let Me Kiss You / Action Is My Middle Name / I Will See You In Far Off Places / Speedway / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want // Still Ill

set list provided by SimonM, Because. Order corrected by telegram-sam.

Last edited:
Listen Clever Cloggs. The last time he came on this early (for a regular gig) was 1992, and people got caught out then. So go and park your wise cracks somewhere else. I was lucky enough to arrive bang on time, but the early start meant that a lot of people missed the start, and a lot more had it ruined by people arriving and queuing to get down the stairs.

Self correction. The last time was 1991.

Morrissey fans stunned by 'free ticket' giveaway ahead of Manchester Arena show

July 27, 2012

| Printable Version

Buy Lady Gaga Tickets on Ebay

Stunned passers-by were celebrating after a city centre giveaway to see Manchester music legend Morrissey.

A mystery man was reported in the city centre handing out tickets for the former Smiths frontman’s Manchester Arena gig tomorrow. The bonanza happened yesterday afternoon in the trendy Northern Quarter.

Ben Grainger, manager of bar Home Sweet Home, was stunned when he was handed a pair tickets out of the blue.

He said: “It was a bit of a surprise. This guy just came up and offered me the tickets. He said that they were unallocated from the hospitality section. He seemed to have a few and he was just going down the street.” And Twitter user Katie Riley also posted a picture of tickets, saying: “Is this a joke? I’ve just been given two tickets for free! By this guy walking round the Northern Quarter with a wad of them.” Tickets for tomorrow’s show– Morrissey’s only UK show of this year – are still on sale for £35 and £45.

A spokesman for the arena said he was unaware of the handout.

But promoter SJM confirmed a ‘small number’ of unallocated tickets had been given away.

Just found this on the Manchester Evening News website well its a million miles from the Greece gig is'nt it!!!!!

MORRISSEY STILL REMAINS WITHOUT A RECORD CONTRACT (NO WONDER)

So did Solomon Walker make a miraculous recovery for Manchester? Still pissed off over Cascais :( Also why weren't The Smiths or Morrissey included in the tribute to great British music for the opening ceremony of the Olympics, or is there too much Irish blood lol?

According to the Manchester Evening News website there was a guy in the Northern quater with a wad if tickets GIVING them away this could explain why he went on early and could'nt be bothered

Well, this was my 4th moz gig if you can count that abysmal saturday night in Liverpool, but all in all loved every second of last night. Actually managed to get to the front. Got talking to a few people everyone really nice which made the night even better. Can't understand people who thought it was flat, never seen him communicate so much with the crowd.

With regards to the abuse to Kristeen young. As mentioned earlier it was basically just one drunk scouser who decided to hurl abuse after every song. Myself along with a few others confronted her, just to which she turned her abuse to us. Even the security spoke to her 3 times with no result but kristeen did look genuinely hurt. Disappointed it wasnt dealt with properly.

Don't think I have posted here before but I'll give my two cents anyway. This was my second Morrissey gig in as many years being a late starter. I thought there were some excellent tracks sang and played very well (i.e. Everyday is Like Sunday, I Know It's Over etc.), an excellent track played not very well (Speedway) but the new material really does seem lacklustre. Much preferred when I saw him in Stoke last year, the set might have been shorter but at least pretty much everything sounded brilliant and the atmosphere was better. My best mate who has not seen him before said it was awesome and I gave some reluctant accordance so as not to spoil the illusion, it could just about pass with the highlight performances. I thought for a hometown gig there was at least going to be some type of surprise insertion either from his solo catalogue or from The Smiths. Being a certain generation of Morrissey fan I was disappointed that he didn't play more than one off the You Are The Quarry (despite not being either Irish or English I thought one track in particular would have gone down a storm). It might have been longer than last time I saw him but I think I'm right in saying that it was shorter than the gigs he has been playing in Israel and Turkey. It was worth going because of The Smiths tracks he did (hadn't seen Last Night...live, personal favourite) but the solo stuff didn't show as much variation from last time to satisfy me.

P.S. I may have gripes about the setlist and despite not being a vegetarian I think Meat is Murder and the footage used is appropriate.

Go to Manchester Evening News website type Morrissey and read the story about tickets being given away in the Northern Quarter.

I've never been so disappointed in my entire life. I've seen Morrissey many times and was eagerly awaiting his return to Manchester but was left completely flat. He started 15 mins early and left the stage 45mins early after a 1-song encore. He almost resented the crowd, saying "There's no place like Hulme... oh yes there is." (How would he know? He's not lived in Manchester for about 20 years and when he did he lived in a big semi in Stretford!) At one random point he said "Harpurhey... whatever." The setlist was shocking. 'Ouija Board, Ouija Board' but no 'First of the Gang' or 'Irish Blood'? We were at the back and, as he'd not forked out for screens, could barely see him. He usually puts an interesting image behind him, but we had to settle for a pic of Oscar Wilde with a speech bubble saying 'Who is Morrissey?' that looked like it had been knocked up by a kid on Microsoft Paint. To top it off he said "I've played Israel, I've been given the keys to Tel Aviv, Manchester has given me nothing. What does that tell you?" Considering Elvis Costello and many others refuse to play Israel because of its apartheid system, that's not a flag he wants to wave. The Moz Army will no-doubt blindly tell themselves he was great, but he wasn't. There was a light. But it went out.

Johnny Marr got an honorary doctorate from the University of Salford, so there!
Morrissey has been to Israel, Elvis Costello hasn't, so how would he know what's going on there?
There's no apartheid. The same way you wouldn't use this word to describe the North Ireland conflict.
At least the Irish had a legitimate claim, unlike the Philistines.

It was my first ever Morrissey gig and it was amazing. I enjoyed hearing the newer stuff and he seemed to be enjoying himself. I thought Kristeen Young was fantastic and I thought what people were shouting was absolutely digusting, shes a young talented woman with a fantastic voice and performing in front of thousands.

I was right by the moronic couple (some chubby chick and i guy with a blonde ponytail and shaved sides) and i was ready to knock the pair of them out. If either of you read this, you should both be ashamed. f***ing scum!

Missed the start; been to 30+ Moz gigs over the years ans he's never come on that early. Still somewhat compensated by the length of the setlist if not its quality.. Out of all the Manc dates I've done this was definitely the worst. Some witty comments and a fantastic version of Please, Please, Please, Speedway and Still Ill were great. Venue, new songs and the subdued crowd not so.

Stick to smaller venues or if you do play huge arenas chuck some surprises/ greatest hits in there. Thr contrast between 2004 and 2012 suggests retirement in Switzerland living the confirmed bachelor lifestyle is imminent.

Just got back from a rather wet Manchester...Saturday...Crown & Anchor all afternoon with some silly old git banging Tom Jones records on the free jukebox.Good ale and a good laugh to be honest.
On to the gig...Started well then went pear shaped in the middle,but ended better than it started...I paid £20.00 fuel...£99.00 hotel...£100+ on booze and food...£40 for the ticket and I would pay it all again just to hear STILL ILL ...Just pure class!!!!!!

Yeah the abuse directed at KY wasn't from huge sections of the crowd. It was largely from one woman. Who was drunk. And nobody wanted her there. I had the misfortune of being pushed up right against her for the whole gig, she either shouldn't have been allowed into the venue or she should have been kicked out when the abuse first started, there's absolutely no place for that.

It didn't ruin the night though and I honestly don't understand all the negative comments. The setlist could have been better, but then with a back catalogue of hundreds of songs, you can never include everything. His voice was fantastic, the band were pretty good by their standards, and the crowd were fantastic at the front. For the people complaining about the atmosphere, well first of all it's the M.E.N which is never a great venue, and second of all if you want a great and lively atmosphere then get to the front! On the few occasions where I've had seated tickets for gigs, the atmosphere is never anything special. The front section was brilliant, and he interacted with us all quite a lot.

And as for the people moaning that he came on stage 15 minutes early. Why on earth are you getting there at the last minute anyway? The doors opened at 6, I was there from 4. I know people have commitments and many have to travel, but at the end of the day it's not difficult to get there even half an hour before he's on stage.

Well, I quite enjoyed myself. He seemed quite chatty and happy, and I like the fact that he sang Still Ill, as that's one of my faves.
Couldn't make out what was on the gang's t shirts though, can someone who was at the front of the mosh pit fill us in?
It was the longest concert he has done actually that I have been to, and I have been to quite a few... They also threw lots of people off guard starting well before 9pm!
Erm, was it Boz dressed in woman's attire? Referred to by Moz as 'Gaynor Tension' ??
Im a happy bunny, even though my ears are shot and me back is fecked...

Much luv to all Mozites...

Harpurhey Harlot x

The T Shirts read, WE HATE WILLIAM AND KATE, they have word them before, and no, I really don'y think it was Boz Boorer in drag!

Go to Manchester Evening News website type Morrissey and read the story about tickets being given away in the Northern Quarter.

It wash a story, it was them reporting on a few tweets. Hardly journalism?

It happens on a regular basis and it has nothing to do with the ticket sales proper, but the secondary markets. If people knew the facts in this case, it actually reflects well on Morrissey. But let's not worry about facts. For other major acts the promotors allow the ticket agents to divert an allocation of the best tickets and market them as "fan to fan" secondary sales. This brings in more money for the agent and the promotors do well out of it. They are usually left with unsold tickets which can either be released onto the agents proper retail site, given to media (to promote the artist/band via competitions etc) or given away. So you see, the paper who published this "story" are well and truly in the know about this business, but probably were never offered any spares! So, Morrisseys promotors it seems only allowed the least popular seats to be hived off! Good on them I say!

Thanks to all.

There seems to be a split between those who loved it and those who were very disappointed. The 'extended' length of the show is curious: if he can sing for this long once, he can do it often, just plan rests between shows better.

I feel arena shows are nearly always a selfish act by the Artist: if you're not in the 1st 100metres from the stage you may as well be watching it on Youtube, and the sound is also often very poor. I saw a show at the Birmingham NIA and went to get a drink during a boring bit. From the back of the Arena it was so dead, yet up front it was much more interesting. I think a residency at various smaller Manchester venues as before would have been more generous to the audience.

Moz seems to have done this as a 'notice me' event in his campaign for another Big Music record deal as Uncleskinny remarked in the thread on the engineered 'invasion' of the Athens gig.

As I mentioned elsewhere, there's a real sub-text to this statement, a frantic waving of hands, saying "I'm still current, I'm still packing 'em in" P.

Surprised his comment about being absent from the Olympic soundtrack of 'British culture' was so mild. Expected / hoped he'd say he'd rather die than allow his music at a Big Mac Donald's Olympics or pay a licencing fee royalty to Mike Joyce, etc.

When half the set list is crap songs, is it any wonder he can't sell out a concert in his hometown? Morrissey, start playing the songs you know people want to hear, get yourself a decent band, and put some f**cking effort into writing some decent new songs, maybe then people will want to go see you. And stop talking sh*t about global politics. Israel! Christ, it's a joke, if that's supposed to put the racist accusations to bed. I wonder when he's going to play Pakistan? Not in my lifetime I bet you. And STOP BANGING ON ABOUT ANIMAL RIGHTS AND THE ROYAL FAMILY!! Christ, he's like a stuck record, doesn't he have anything else to talk about?

i went to the gig but was frightened ,,when the support singer came on it wasnt very good and was all out of tune and flat,,i did like her version of two little boys though that was good ...i also liked it when i could smell a very slight smell of petrol during her set,,,,,i was pleased with the moving pictures of sparks ,,tha tpleased me that did,,,sadly though there was a very fat woman who looked like a bear in the row in front of me ..this was row d in section 204....she was very animated and blocked my view,,,after about 20 minutes i considered pushing the fat bear woman over the edge of the balcony ..she was with a bearded thin man who looked like a desperate tramp ...the woman /bear kept being happy with every new song and with her happiness my loathing of humanity grew...i did make a small attempt to kick her in the back but my wife stopped me.....by the end of the gig i realised that it was a bear dressed as a woman not the other way round....MORRISSEYwas good at singing and i liked it when he put his head in the drum ,i though tthat was very brave,,,when he gave the mike to the audience i though tthey wasted a chance ,,,i wouldve said "hello everyone i am selling a microwave oven for forty pound sif anyone is interested se eme after the show"....when the gig ended i rushed off stage and saw a glimpse of morrissey in the dressing room and he was just filling in a colouring book of sesame street characters and i noticed he had done a really good job of ernie and bert and only had gone over the line one....i look forward to hearing him sing another song sometime...jason t richardson

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom