London 2012 Summer Olympics torchlighting segment titled "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"

Dear 'James Dean'.

I’m not ‘trolling’ anyone. I simply refuse to kow-tow to the boring ‘group-think’ of the narcissistic solipsists who flaunt and cavort around here as if they own the place. I’m having a debate with myself. I couldn’t care less what the ‘hive mind’ thinks.

I’ve just scanned Johnny Marr’s Twitter account and there’s no response from him about the absence of his music from the opening ceremony. He was asked directly but didn’t respond. I’ve no idea what the story is. Maybe Danny Boyle will comment.

The Queen seems to have out-manoeuvred Morrissey with her James Bond ‘helicopter parachute’. It almost as if she’s taking the piss out of the lyrics to ‘The Queen Is Dead’. Never in his wildest dreams/nightmares could Morrissey had imagined the Queen would agree to such a post-modernist prank. I think Morrissey is in a bit of a cul-de-sac with all of this. The Queen’s visit to Ireland was extremely nuanced and complex and Morrissey’s crass republican stance seems stuck in a time-warp before the Good Friday Agreement. With everything else that threatens, fixating on the Royal Family seems dated, tame and lazy. ‘We Hate William and Kate’ was funny for about a week last year: to still be flogging that slogan seems a bit….desperate.

Unlike the Queen, Morrissey is in danger of reducing himself to a series of overused slogans and provocative images. I hope he doesn’t end up as the ‘Jeremy Clarkson’ of ‘radical indie Dad-rock’ as some have openly speculated.

Danny Boyle’s narrative of Britishness was extraordinary. In one 3 hour swoop he covered a vast panoply of cultural data, easily exceeding Morrissey‘s limited fixations. Marr and Morrissey were either ignored, excluded or intentionally removed themselves from the picture. I remain puzzled but it doesn’t seem that many other people are.

regards

Dear 'James Dean'.

I’m not ‘trolling’ anyone. I simply refuse to kow-tow to the boring ‘group-think’ of the narcissistic solipsists who flaunt and cavort around here as if they own the place. I’m having a debate with myself. I couldn’t care less what the ‘hive mind’ thinks.

I’ve just scanned Johnny Marr’s Twitter account and there’s no response from him about the absence of his music from the opening ceremony. He was asked directly but didn’t respond. I’ve no idea what the story is. Maybe Danny Boyle will comment.

The Queen seems to have out-manoeuvred Morrissey with her James Bond ‘helicopter parachute’. It almost as if she’s taking the piss out of the lyrics to ‘The Queen Is Dead’. Never in his wildest dreams/nightmares could Morrissey had imagined the Queen would agree to such a post-modernist prank. I think Morrissey is in a bit of a cul-de-sac with all of this. The Queen’s visit to Ireland was extremely nuanced and complex and Morrissey’s crass republican stance seems stuck in a time-warp before the Good Friday Agreement. With everything else that threatens, fixating on the Royal Family seems dated, tame and lazy. ‘We Hate William and Kate’ was funny for about a week last year: to still be flogging that slogan seems a bit….desperate.

Unlike the Queen, Morrissey is in danger of reducing himself to a series of overused slogans and provocative images. I hope he doesn’t end up as the ‘Jeremy Clarkson’ of ‘radical indie Dad-rock’ as some have openly speculated.

Danny Boyle’s narrative of Britishness was extraordinary. In one 3 hour swoop he covered a vast panoply of cultural data, easily exceeding Morrissey‘s limited fixations. Marr and Morrissey were either ignored, excluded or intentionally removed themselves from the picture. I remain puzzled but it doesn’t seem that many other people are.

regards

One single Morrissey song served as the infrastructure for the entire evening, that is how powerful an influence he is. Cosmically.

The last night of the fair
By the big wheel generator
A boy is stabbed
And his money is grabbed
And the air hangs heavy like a dulling wine

She is Famous
She is Funny
An engagement ring
Doesn't mean a thing
To a mind consumed by brass (money)

And though I walk home alone
I might walk home alone ...
...But my faith in love is still devout

The last night of the fair
From a seat on a whirling waltzer
Her skirt ascends for a watching eye
It's a hideous trait (on her mother's side)
From a seat on a whirling waltzer
Her skirt ascends for a watching eye
It's a hideous trait (on her mother's side)

Then someone falls in love
And someone's beaten up
Someone's beaten up
And the senses being dulled are mine
And someone falls in love
And someone's beaten up
And the senses being dulled are mine

This is the last night of the fair
And the grease in the hair
Of a speedway operator
Is all a tremulous heart requires
A schoolgirl is denied
She said : "How quickly would I die
If I jumped from the top of the parachutes ?"

Dear 'James Dean'.

regards
Fair enough. Seemed like a fair question, you don't get much high-minded intellectualism on the internet, let alone forum using secretaries.

I checked out Johnny's Twitter too, interesting to see him not responding; he's usually pretty on-the-ball. Perhaps he doesn't know.

The Queen has apparently proved with her good humoured Olympics exploits that she's not a detestable person, but I still believe she represents a dated and flawed institution. Morrissey's republicanism is still valid and I think for him to change tack simply because the relevance of the issue has waned would be a faux pas. As for Morrissey as a counter-culture Clarkson... I don't think there is any true analogy there. His sloganeering may grow increasingly inflammatory and irrational but his art and public persona appear set to remain compellingly fraught with nuance and contradiction for the foreseeable future.

Morrissey's "limited fixations" have some virtue - in contrast to Boyle's sweeping gesture that took in so much as to imply no discrimination in quality, Morrissey only endorses what he believes to be vital and relevant, or vital and unjustly irrelevant (I.E. Sandie Shaw etc.) Now while it does seem right that Danny Boyle didn't appear to let his personal opinions cloud his inclusions in the ceremony (with the obvious possible exception of the Smiths), Morrissey has no such obligations. Danny Boyle selects reference points that apply to England as a whole; Morrissey those that appeal to him.

I am appalled at the absence of direct acknowledgement of the Smiths in the ceremony. That is a personal reaction, but I challenge anybody to be anything less than puzzled.

I am appalled at the absence of direct acknowledgement of the Smiths in the ceremony. That is a personal reaction, but I challenge anybody to be anything less than puzzled.

It's an anomaly. The exclusion forces one to say "Now why is that?" Then when you step back and look at the big picture and notice the big wheel generator quietly turning in the middle of the field the entire ceremony and love story and the "Greece in the air" and the queen jumping with a parachute (but not the queen as you know, a stunt double) it reminds you of Rusholme Ruffians. It's then that you realize God is recognizing his work in a ginormous way. The reason he is not being given a record contract is that he has God's attention. So if it;s a silly ceremony that last five hours designed around a Smiths tune, imagine what could be set to Meat is Murder? God's recognizing his written word and acting on it, his exclusion from the ceremony is a quiet acknowledgement that God's listening very, very closely. That old bag in the pink dress? Not the real queen. ;) But she can sit and wave her hand and watch Morrissey's show. :cool:

The reason he is not being given a record contract is that he has God's attention. So if it;s a silly ceremony that last five hours designed around a Smiths tune, imagine what could be set to Meat is Murder? God's recognizing his written word and acting on it, his exclusion from the ceremony is a quiet acknowledgement that God's listening very, very closely.

Silly, stupid c***.

Silly, stupid c***.

..Doesn't the fact that you and your two chums have dismissed her as a schiztophrenic psycho bitch creepo, and have basically disowned her socially..online-wise..yet YOU choose to strike up dialogue with her anyway..strike you as slightly ironic??
Maybe she's not the only one who needs to schedule a visit with a local psychiatrist.

BrummieBoy I adore your posts although I sincerely hope your pomposity is a knowing, humorous pose - or perhaps what I mistake for pomposity is simply colossal, justified self assurance, funnily enough the exact type we could see in early 80s Morrissey interviews. In any case I suspected you were "trolling" (although how many people can pull of trolling with valid opinions?) until I saw the post from Sharon, your secretary, at which point suspicion became belief. Please clarify.

I was saddened by the conspicuous absence of The Smiths. I can only propose that Danny Boyle's entire plan may have been scrutinised, trimmed and censored by some abhorrent committee - perhaps he tried to include the Queen is Dead but was denied? We did hear God Save the Queen on there but it does feel to me that in the aftermath of Lydon's butter ads the Sex Pistols' legacy has been rendered quaint, cartoonish and non-threatening where The Queen is Dead is still vitriolic, sinister and darkly hilarious. If this is the case its exclusion is indefensible; Britain's history has consistently been shaped by protest and counter-culture and this bears acknowledgement. Or, as has been suggested, Morrissey and Marr refused to license the music, for any of the reasons BrummieBoy put forward.

To argue, as some have, that the Smiths are too much of a cult concern to have merited inclusion in the ceremony is absurd; though I agree that they are a "cult" band I would assert that their place in the British cultural landscape is indisputable and that the 30 years following their arrival would have been very different without them. Certainly, to hear two Oasis tracks on the playlist in the Smiths' absence is an affront; I don't believe Oasis would have existed, let alone come to prominence, without the influence of the Smiths and the support and endorsement of Johnny Marr.

So nice to see you two getting along so well!

One single Morrissey song served as the infrastructure for the entire evening, that is how powerful an influence he is. Cosmically."

Yes, one single song. But The Queen is anything but 'dead' and her decision to jump out of that helicopter is the equivalent of her singing "if the day came when i got a natural emotion, i'd get such a shock i'd probably jump in the ocean'. Xmas at the Palace probably involves not just Morecambe & Wise re-runs but 'Karaoke with The Smiths'. She's outfoxed him good and proper, she's revealed herself as having turned Saxon seditionist within the Norman palace lineage, thwarting and trashing her pompous son and heirs: Charles and Moz.. I'm certain she studies his every move. It won't surprise me if Danny Boyle leaks news that the Queen extended a personal invitation to Morrissey and he ran away from her 'up for it' Jubilee provocations. Did Morrissey bottle it?

http://mancunianmatters.co.uk/conte...directs-unique-opening-ceremony-london-2012-o

Morrissey wanted to 'drop his trousers', the Queen has responded by lifting her dress and flaunting her knickers in the skies above London. Seriously genius move....you couldn't make this up....how on earth can Morrissey respond?

http://bit.ly/QYhkCv

I remain a staunch Republican, abeit my views tempered by recognising the absolute horror that could have been: President B.Liar

regards

Fair enough. Seemed like a fair question, you don't get much high-minded intellectualism on the internet, let alone forum using secretaries.

I checked out Johnny's Twitter too, interesting to see him not responding; he's usually pretty on-the-ball. Perhaps he doesn't know.

The Queen has apparently proved with her good humoured Olympics exploits that she's not a detestable person, but I still believe she represents a dated and flawed institution. Morrissey's republicanism is still valid and I think for him to change tack simply because the relevance of the issue has waned would be a faux pas. As for Morrissey as a counter-culture Clarkson... I don't think there is any true analogy there. His sloganeering may grow increasingly inflammatory and irrational but his art and public persona appear set to remain compellingly fraught with nuance and contradiction for the foreseeable future.

Morrissey's "limited fixations" have some virtue - in contrast to Boyle's sweeping gesture that took in so much as to imply no discrimination in quality, Morrissey only endorses what he believes to be vital and relevant, or vital and unjustly irrelevant (I.E. Sandie Shaw etc.) Now while it does seem right that Danny Boyle didn't appear to let his personal opinions cloud his inclusions in the ceremony (with the obvious possible exception of the Smiths), Morrissey has no such obligations. Danny Boyle selects reference points that apply to England as a whole; Morrissey those that appeal to him.

'High-minded intellectual'? I'm no one-trick pony. My field sports days are over but the pleasures of the table and the boudoir mean 'Dionysus Is My Middle Name'. Here's me in an earlier incarnation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r3gVs6UG5Q

Sharon is indeed my current Secretary 'keeper of secrets':

http://www.secretarythemovie.co.uk/html/home.html

Morrissey is an Artist. Danny Boyle is an Auteur. Morrissey probably couldn't / wouldn't submit to The Director. Morrissey's vision of England is wonderfully idiosyncratic but Danny Boyle managed to sweep from Druidic Glastonbury to Tolkein to Slumdog London mc'd by Dizzee Rascal, with no compromise and with The Queen fully onboard. No neeed for weed, shrooms or acid: Danny Boyle has secured his place as the true Art Hound.....i'm waiting to see if any clue emerges as to why Marr and Morrissey were excluded or chose to exclude themselves through an irrational entitlement agenda to directorial input to the narrative. Steve Redgrave is seriously miffed/pissed by not getting to light the Olympic flame and Seb Coe was having nightmares trying to find out what was in Danny Boyle's mind. You can be absolutely sure that the only person given sight and sound of the grand narrative was the Queen. I picture her having afternoon tea with Danny Boyle saying: "Is Morrissey still being tiresome about this? How much money is he asking for riff of 'How Soon Is Now?' anyway?"

Morrissey's slogans are just becoming jaded. He's like a very, very slow shock-jock or rap artist. Eminem rifles out 100 slogans a track and Moz's failure to grasp the genius of Dizee's 'Bonkers' just shows he no longer understand the Isles of Wonder which have always been a chaotic melting pot of immigration and 'fugees' even before the Normans landed in 1066. The Queen gets all this and thus endorsed Danny Boyle's outrageous exposition. Boyle's decision to spit on Andrew Lansley's carve up of the NHS and max Diversity hardly appealed to the whole of UK/GB as the frothing tweets of a Tory MP who likes Nazi-theme'd parties showed, even as PM Cameron txt'd him 'Bitch..shut your trap' and forced a climbdown:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/p...-crap-claim-was-misunderstood-86908-23913862/

Moz missed the biggest of moments. His mild warble that his smile wasn't sincere enough simply doesn't address the enormous dimensions of his absence in terms of his legacy and his place as the unofficial poet-laureate of post-punk. He comes across as adrift as Mitt Romney about the London Olympics mash-up opening celebration. He now longer loves the city and appears to be ensconced in....Switzerland! 'Tired of London...tired of life' ?

Liz didn't demand Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber curate the opening. She sent a very succinct message about how she wanted her Jubilee celebrations to be ramped up, to the max. And afterwards, she described the event as 'wonderful'. I loved how she insouciantly picked her nails as Team UK/GB entered the arena. Moz's Arena spectacle in Manchester appears to have been a dud. If he wants to play to vast audiences he needs to seriously up his ante.

regards.

edit. erratum: it seems Seb Coe was on board about most of the mayhem so I retract my diss/shade of him. and having read Steve Redgrave's account, he too seems to have been more gracious than i thought about not being the main man. it's all good.

Last edited:
Yes, one single song. But The Queen is anything but 'dead' and her decision to jump out of that helicopter is the equivalent of her singing "if the day came when i got a natural emotion, i'd get such a shock i'd probably jump in the ocean'. Xmas at the Palace probably involves not just Morecambe & Wise re-runs but 'Karaoke with The Smiths'. She's outfoxed him good and proper, she's revealed herself as having turned Saxon seditionist within the Norman palace lineage, thwarting and trashing her pompous son and heirs: Charles and Moz.. I'm certain she studies his every move. It won't surprise me if Danny Boyle leaks news that the Queen extended a personal invitation to Morrissey and he ran away from her 'up for it' Jubilee provocations. Did Morrissey bottle it?

http://mancunianmatters.co.uk/conte...directs-unique-opening-ceremony-london-2012-o

Morrissey wanted to 'drop his trousers', the Queen has responded by lifting her dress and flaunting her knickers in the skies above London. Seriously genius move....you couldn't make this up....how on earth can Morrissey respond?

http://bit.ly/QYhkCv

I remain a staunch Republican, abeit my views tempered by recognising the absolute horror that could have been: President B.Liar

regards

These are all interesting theories, but I think the real queen is a zombie. Based on her demeanor in the audience if she had a proper, invisible, crown which is...shocker...generated by drumming, she wouldn't be sitting there half asleep throughout the ceremony. She's a mannequin. She wouldn't know how to manipulate a crowd unless her fuzzy guard did it for her. She's no threat to Moz.

..Doesn't the fact that you and your two chums have dismissed her as a schiztophrenic psycho bitch creepo, and have basically disowned her socially..online-wise..yet YOU choose to strike up dialogue with her anyway..strike you as slightly ironic??
Maybe she's not the only one who needs to schedule a visit with a local psychiatrist.

I was egging him on in another part of the forum the last couple days so it's not like he was just randomly attacking me.

I sat down to watch the ceremony and thought I'd have half an hour probs before slipping off and sticking on some music. I was pretty (read very) cynical before hand, but I was properly mesmerised at times by DB's vision and what was achieved. I don't know who, if anyone he was answering to, but it was balls out stuff at times and would have had many on the right baulking. David Cameron was looking edgy. Too much for usa tv at times by accounts. They worked on a soundtrack to fit the vision, it was not just a 50 UK greatest hits (which the Smiths would never be on anyway) and maybe there just was not the place to make the most of one. Manchester itself was represented, Mondays, New Order, for example. Most notable no Xfactor tat. Seeing as I only buy Smiths and Moz stuff, rareities and that, I am surprised I never thought during the ceremony if they would be played. I suppose for me it was just much bigger than that. If only DB had been able to get Kate and Wills to wear "We Hate Morrissey tshirts"....and played that Joke isn't funny anymore that would have been cool...

I don't think "Manchester itself was represented" - how can it have been without the Smiths, who are if not its most famous sons (although they are up there) then certainly its most representative in the sense that their art was very much informed by life in the city.
I agree that some of it was really quite fantastic though. I got a real kick out of the NHS flag-waving, and especially out of the subsequent tide of moronic indignation from far-right America.
Oh, and "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" never occurred to me in relation to Morrissey's republicanism. But that is quite funny :lbf:

@123xyz

ref: your recent inquiry

xyz123 : 'I'm still wondering how the "group-think" of "solipsists" works ...'

I didn't know so I asked 'BrummieBoy' on your behalf. He suggests you add the following titles to your reading list. I'll try and answer any further queries but it may be a few days as we're off to the Olympics. I'm so excited!!!!

best wishes
Sharon McCormick - Secretary to 'BrummieBoy'

Fromm, E. 1968. The heart of man : its genius for good and evil.

"The very need to achieve something creative makes it necessary to leave the closed circle of group solipsism and to be interested in the object it wants to achieve." (p. 94)

Fromm, E. 1973. The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness.

"Those whose narcissism refers to their group rather than to themselves as individuals are as sensitive as the individual narcissist, and they react with rage to any wound, real or imaginary, inflicted upon their group. If anything, they react more intensely and certainly more consciously. An individual, unless he is mentally very sick, may have at least some doubts about his personal narcissistic image. The member of the group has none, since his narcissism is shared by the majority." (p. 231)

http://workcreatively.org/biblio/keyword/group narcissism

Mr Dean, I will reply to your comments about the Arctic Monkeys when I've done my research to keep it nice and objective!
A couple of other contributions in the meantime.
It seems the opening ceremony music was essentially chosen by some buffoon from the pop group Underworld and not by D Boyle himself. The exclusion of a Morrissey/Smiths song is baffling but a fair number of people in the pop-music world simply do not like Morrissey's voice (or persona) and I can only assume that this Underworld fella is one of those. He chose songs with far less critical/commercial success than prime-time Morrissey/Smith. Had the set-list been compiled by a committee of journalists/British music experts (or whatever you wanna call them), a Morrissey/Smith song would have been absolutely inevitable. One other factor was that they deliberately (and perhaps slightly churlishly) avoided all songs performed at the Jubilee but that obviously wouldn't have affected the decision to include a Morrissey-sung song.
Finally, my own fantasy opening song at the London 2012 Olympics would have been "Here is London, giddy London...".

To be perfectly honest I couldn't care less about whether The Smiths or Morrissey was acknowledged at the opening ceremony. The Olympics is about sport; it should be the athletes who have spent the past four years training passionately for their moment in the spotlight. If anyone is going to be honoured, it should be those people who have put so much effort into it; but people only seem to be more interested in which so called 'celebrites' are involved in the Olympics. Music Artists, Actors and such, have their own award ceremonies; this is one of the few things that the athletes get recognition in and still it is not about them as more people seem more interested in the opening than anything else. In addition, why are sports such as Football a part of the olympics? Like Singers and Actors, they have their own leagues and cups, so why do they need to impose on these less emphasised sports. As far as I am concerned, the only reason their is such hype around the Olympics this time around is because it is in our own country, which I find highly fake and irritating. People need to understand that the Olympics is about countries coming together to compete once every four years, and who cares about what pathetic excuses for celebrities are acknowledged. The only reason any of them bother to attend is because it gets them more exposure to the press anyway. So if you're going to moan about anything, moan about the fact that the masses don't seem at all concerned with the true meaning of the Olympics, which has become like nearly other of todays industries, another commodity by which the goverment can cheat and scam money out of the hard-working tax payers.

@123xyz

ref: your recent inquiry

xyz123 : 'I'm still wondering how the "group-think" of "solipsists" works ...'

I didn't know so I asked 'BrummieBoy' on your behalf. He suggests you add the following titles to your reading list. I'll try and answer any further queries but it may be a few days as we're off to the Olympics. I'm so excited!!!!

best wishes
Sharon McCormick - Secretary to 'BrummieBoy'

Fromm, E. 1968. The heart of man : its genius for good and evil.

"The very need to achieve something creative makes it necessary to leave the closed circle of group solipsism and to be interested in the object it wants to achieve." (p. 94)

Fromm, E. 1973. The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness.

"Those whose narcissism refers to their group rather than to themselves as individuals are as sensitive as the individual narcissist, and they react with rage to any wound, real or imaginary, inflicted upon their group. If anything, they react more intensely and certainly more consciously. An individual, unless he is mentally very sick, may have at least some doubts about his personal narcissistic image. The member of the group has none, since his narcissism is shared by the majority." (p. 231)

http://workcreatively.org/biblio/keyword/group narcissism

Spare me the advice about narcissism. Diagnostic bracket creep, anyone ? I won't even get started on projection.

No, I will. Stop chewing on Erich Fromm ( yes, I'm very impressed) and have a further look. Grandiosity, non-transparency, humourlessness, the veiled threats of exclusion and control - do these sound familiar ?

Wasn't I meant to be on "Ignore" ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom