Kristeen Young comments on Facebook "But, never go to Morrissey-Solo..."

kristeenyoung_fb.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit I don't know Kristeen Young, and I don't even care, but wow, this was a lovely read. :) I especially liked your point about Morrissey seeing something in her... (Off I go to listen to her songs on youtube. Where should I start?)

Edit: I got through two songs. Let's just say, it's not the first time tha M's musical taste doesn't coincide with mine.

Nobody here is gonna be "in trouble" for not liking her. Nobody here is a mental patient. The fact is, she is something we have to deal with. For now. Morrissey sees something in Kristeen which may or may not be the fact that almost nobody can stand her. He's a troublemaker like that.

She's bitter and she knows that the Morrissey thing can't go on indefinitely. Even if it did, I'm not sure that would be a good thing for her. I mean, God, how many shows has she played with him, and yet...where is she, now? How has her career been bettered, really? Still can't find a label, still leaning on Morrissey and Visconti as a crutch, still lashing out at the masses because they're just too stupid and misogynistic to like her music (right, Kris?)...it's sad. She's angry and she can't sell records and her entire career is basically providing background music to people while they use the bathroom and buy beer before the performer they came to see takes the stage.

I don't think she is entirely without merit, or talentless...she can write a good line when she isn't obsessed with her ridiculous anti-baby, anti-men, anti-marriage schtick. And in my opinion she has a number of genuinely good songs. But on the whole, well...she was young and everything was in front of her when Visconti had her come to New York; now she's nearly 40, she's fired the guy who was with her from day 1, and she is gasping for air in a climate of Morrissey fans who just don't give a shit. She just needs to give up, or do what she does without Morrissey. Morrissey is her iron lung. Let's see how much she thrives on her own.

I once admired her tenacity and element of "weirdness" but that weirdness is gonna be gross and embarrassing when she gets even a little older. She's gotta have kind of musical breakthrough label-wise (she is, after all, a musician, right) or else maybe it's time after fifteen years and six albums of relative obscurity to find another gig.

Or not, whatever. But dude...Kristeen...don't call us mental patients just because we don't like you. That's not cool, and you're showing a low grade white trash mentality that is very unbecoming in a lady.

Dismiss us, hate us, call us deaf, ignore us...but don't sit there in the safety of Facebook and call us all nuts because we don't like you. Otherwise...

Ooh, get YOU! I bet you think Sainsbury's exists purely to keep the riff-raff out of Waitrose.

Indeed, and Lidl keeps the low-lifes from the portals of Aldi. But have you SEEN Lidl's chocolate bananas? Taste every bit as synthetic as they look - which is quite magnificent, really.

4pxvyf.jpg

P.

I must admit I don't know Kristeen Young, and I don't even care, but wow, this was a lovely read. :) I especially liked your point about Morrissey seeing something in her... (Off I go to listen to her songs on youtube. Where should I start?)

With some ear-plugs.

Indeed, and Lidl keeps the low-lifes from the portals of Aldi. But have you SEEN Lidl's chocolate bananas? Taste every bit as synthetic as they look - which is quite magnificent, really.

4pxvyf.jpg

P.

Ugh! Mucked-about bananas - one of my pet hates!

Sad to say, we no longer have a Lidl on my side of town. Yes, Holderness Road was slumming it, even for Lidl!

Last time I checked, OCD was still a mental illness. Would you care for a mirror?

You're a self-confessed sycophant who is agreeing with a moron who is agreeing with a moron. Call it guilt by association.

Also, I never said I disliked you...I alluded that you were braindead. There is a difference.

I've been to my share of shrinks and they never alluded to the fact that I have OCD but perhaps you could been on to something they missed? I guess I don't see how I am a sycophant just because I can still derive enjoyment out of what Morrissey currently does. Kristeen Young? I don't like her at all, never said I did! As for the guy I gave the thumbs up to, something he wrote made me smile. Sorry. I am awfully glad that you don't dislike me even though I am brain dead. Seriously, can we be done with this? I meant no offended to anyone at all.

The first album, 1997's Meet Miss Young and Her All Boy Band isn't bad; it sounds like Tori Amos if Amos had never been raped. Standout songs would be 9, Fishnet, Don't Go Back To School, and P.E. 9.14.

The second record, Enemy (1999), is pretty harsh and all over the place, and very much encapsulates on tape the live sound she came to be known for but if you can get through it there's some rewarding stuff like Marley's Ghost and The Good Night and a few other keepers.

Then there's Breasticles (2003), which is pretty OK, with a few phenomenal songs like We Want More, Touch Tongues, Wake The Dead, and Incubator, and a semi-amazing Bowie duet called Savior. His vocals are wonderful on it; maybe the best singing he did that whole decade.

The fourth album, from 2004, was called X (Ten) and is really strong and concise and fun, with very little of the KY sound you've all come to know and hate. It's a pretty straightforward rock and roll album and contains some of her best songs. Yesterday's Future Man, Commit Adultery, The Best Of All Things, My T.V....these are all all wonderful. There's also a really good song on it called No Other God but I'd recommend opting for the bonus track version where she doesn't share vocals with the annoying as shit Brian Molko.

2006's The Orphans came next and it's what she had going on when her Morrissey association began; it's excellent, song for song. It's hard to single out the best track but if forced I'd go with Kill The Father, This is The Dawn of My D-Day, Life's Not Short..., and Under a Landlocked Moon. Really, really good album with no weak tracks. Also a favorite of Morrissey's, if that matters...which, sadly, it probably does.

The follow up, Music For Strippers, Hookers, and The Odd On-Looker, was released in 2009 and, although it's pretty good; it's about two songs too long and most of the tracks are kind of samey; however it's not bad. The Depression Contest, Stop Thinking, I Won't Be Home For Christmas, and Halfway Across the Atlantic Ocean are all fantastic tracks. Protestant is really good too, but unlike when she used to play it live, for some reason in the recording studio she decided it had to be a six minute long masturbatory Rush-sounding epic, and something was lost. Morrissey fans may find it interesting if for no other reason than that it was written during/after her experiences on tour with him the first time around; the album is dedicated to him, and the most of the songs are about him.

The last thing she did, an EP called Fantastic Failures which she put out last year, I can't really speak on because I can't get through it. Way too synthy and produced and contrived. I can't make it past the first song and a half.

So anyway, yeah. If you or anyone is genuinely interested in her music but don't know where to start, I hope that helps. She's got some good stuff and I think everything she's released since 1997 is on Spotify.

In my opinion, most of her music is too esoteric to be of any value to anyone but her. Which is fine, but it's sad that to her this equates to people being mental patients worthy of euthanasia. But I guess when you've toured with Morrissey for as long as she has, your mouth starts to write checks your ass can't cash.

Now if I could only figure out why my toe turned blue for the last few days, I'd be on to something....

Let's re-shoot Philadelphia with me as Tom Hanks and you could take William Marshall's role.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom