The Official "New York f***ing Dolls" thread

It appalls me that there is not a single thread -- or even a reference, as far as I can see -- for this band in the "other music" forum

so I'm correcting that, with this thread. Morrissey-solo's OFFICIAL "New York f***ing Dolls" thread.

Five albums, all exemplary in their own way. Just listened to "Dancing Backwards in High Heels" this morning. Total reinvention. Also known as a GAMECHANGER. Sad when a pair of guys in their 60's come back after over 30 years and are showing up the indie scenesters

their last three records are as fine as their first two. Don't try and argue this

just speak about the awesomeness that is New York Dolls and let the music enfold you.

You have got to be f***ing kidding me

not ONE goddamn NYD fan on these forums, besides myself?

I weep for your lost souls. Oh, how I weep

That's perfectly fine then, if they're going to be so petty to emphasize this by not participating in a thread dedicated to a band that mops the floor with pretty much every other band mentioned around here

and if your little theory is correct, it's funny how people can talk all kinds of trash on Morrissey, Joyce, Rourke and Marr, but they get all in a huff by one member coming around every few days who refuses to sugarcoat his dialogue.

Spare me already

That's perfectly fine then, if they're going to be so petty to emphasize this by not participating in a thread dedicated to a band that mops the floor with pretty much every other band mentioned around here

and if your little theory is correct, it's funny how people can talk all kinds of trash on Morrissey, Joyce, Rourke and Marr, but they get all in a huff by one member coming around every few days who refuses to sugarcoat his dialogue.

Spare me already

Would you like the NYD's if Morrissey didn't like them?
Add to that list Jobraith and a host of others.

The NY Dolls were around starting in the early 1970's. I was a fan of the group back then. What does Moz have to do with that?

Fair play to you on that fact - I have no issue with that.
My issue is with fans of Morrissey who like bands he liked simply because he likes them.
I mean, who the f*** would otherwise like Kristeen Young!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Where did I ever say I liked the NYD just because Morrissey does

or let me guess: you're assuming this?

Yes, that sounds par for the course. Morrissey also likes the Ramones and The Cramps, two bands I don't care much for. And apparently you missed my slam on Kristeen Young and her horrible excuse for music in the thread reviewing the show in Roma the other night

come back in my thread and try to discredit me when you've actually done some research into the matter and/or gotten a clue, please.

While I don't like The New York Dolls because Morrissey does, he did introduce me to them. I often look at the artists who influenced the artists I listen to and check them out to see if I liked them. I didn't care much for The Dolls at first, but the other day I had two for one offer and I thought I may as well use it to pick up something new to try. I took their album 'cause I Sez So and it was probably one of the wisest choices I made. I was a little underwhelmed by the first two tracks, though after that I thought the album really picked up and on repeated listens, the first two have also grown on me.

It is strange, because when I first heard about the smiths and listened to The Queen Is Dead, I didn't like the song. But then when I came back to them, it started to grow on me quite rapidly. It seems the same with most artists that I listen to, save for Patti Smith, The Cult, and Aimee Mann who I liked pretty much instantly.

I actually bought the new Cult album (Weapon of Choice?) the other day, then promptly took it back for a refund before opening it. I haven't heard anything off of it yet, so I was foolish to buy it on a whim

Cuz I Sez So is a f***ing excellent album, though. Give it time, you'll have every song off of it stuck in your head at some point or another. I could have done without the lounge version of "Trash" that shows up at the end, but that's splitting hairs on what's otherwise a terrific album produced by the guy who produced their seminal first record in 1973

A french girl I know who lives in NYC, thinks she's my friend, but is really just your typical distant female went to see David Johannson perform in a solo setting a few weeks ago, said it was excellent, just him with an acoustic guitar player (not Sylvain Sylvain) and that gravelly, nicotine-stained voice of his

willing to bet he and Mark Lanegan would make for an absolutely bitching duet.

I caught this episode over the weekend during a "No Reservations" watching marathon on Netflix.
Definitely worth a watch for 6 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this. The Sultan of Food meets the Godfather of Punk. I miss the Travel channel and their thought-provoking programming

Johansen looks like an old groupie but he still kills it musically

Back
Top Bottom