Article: "NME says sorry to Morrissey for the misunderstanding over 2007 article" - NME.com; libel c

UPDATE 11:00 AM PT:

Link posted by joe frady (original post) with additional info:

NME apologises to singer Morrissey over article - BBC News

The NME has publicly apologised to singer Morrissey over an article it published in 2007, which, the singer claimed, suggested he was racist.

Excerpt:

An NME spokeswoman said the magazine was "pleased it has buried the hatchet" with the singer.

She added the matter of the libel case was now closed and that the settlement did not involve payment of any damages or legal costs.

The case had been due to go to trial next month after Morrissey won a pre-trial hearing against former NME editor Conor McNicholas and IPC at the High Court last October.

George M sends the link:

NME says sorry to Morrissey for the misunderstanding over 2007 article - NME.com
NME says sorry to Morrissey for the misunderstanding over 2007 article

In December 2007, we published an article entitled 'Morrissey: Big mouth strikes again'.

Following this, Morrissey began proceedings for libel against us. His complaint is that we accused him of being a racist off the back of an interview which he gave to the magazine. He believes the article was edited in such a way that made him seem reactionary.

We wish to make clear that we do not believe that he is a racist; we didn’t think we were saying he was and we apologise to Morrissey if he or anyone else misunderstood our piece in that way. We never set out to upset Morrissey and we hope we can both get back to doing what we do best.

UPDATE 11:00PM PT:

Scan of NME print edition, page 11 posted by Iona Mink:

nmeapology.jpg

Related item:

Last edited:
I'm with GC on this. "I'm sorry you don't like what we said." is essentially all this apology amounts to, but pursuing it is taxing on the psyche and we're reading deeply into it, yet most people will read the headline and think "Hmm. The NME apologized to Morrissey." and move on.

Re: Article: "NME says sorry to Morrissey for the misunderstanding over 2007 article"

So it's over ~

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18410933

"The NME has publicly apologised to singer Morrissey over an article it published in 2007, which, the singer claimed, suggested he was racist.

The former Smiths star sued the magazine, saying it "deliberately twisted" his comments on immigration.

The NME and publisher IPC apologised in a joint statement, adding: "We do not believe [Morrissey] is a racist."

An NME spokeswoman said the magazine was "pleased it has buried the hatchet" with the singer.

She added the matter of the libel case was now closed and that the settlement did not involve payment of any damages or legal costs.

The case had been due to go to trial next month after Morrissey won a pre-trial hearing against former NME editor Conor McNicholas and IPC at the High Court last October.

The singer welcomed the verdict, saying he wanted his day in court to "clear my name".

The original 2007 article, titled Morrissey: Big Mouth Strikes Again, quoted Morrissey allegedly saying: "Although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears."

He was also quoted as saying: "the gates of England are flooded. The country's been thrown away."

In the statement published on its website and in the magazine, the NME said: "We wish to make clear that we do not believe that he is a racist.

"We didn't think we were saying he was and we apologise to Morrissey if he or anyone else misunderstood our piece in that way.

"We never set out to upset Morrissey and we hope we can both get back to doing what we do best."

Morrissey's solicitor was not immediately available for comment."

Last edited:
Re: Article: "NME says sorry to Morrissey for the misunderstanding over 2007 article"

So it's over ~

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18410933

"The NME has publicly apologised to singer Morrissey over an article it published in 2007, which, the singer claimed, suggested he was racist.

The former Smiths star sued the magazine, saying it "deliberately twisted" his comments on immigration.

The NME and publisher IPC apologised in a joint statement, adding: "We do not believe [Morrissey] is a racist."

The singer welcomed the verdict, saying he wanted his day in court to "clear my name".

The original 2007 article, titled Morrissey: Big Mouth Strikes Again, quoted Morrissey allegedly saying: "Although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears."

He was also quoted as saying: "the gates of England are flooded. The country's been thrown away."

In the statement published on its website and in the magazine, the NME said: "We wish to make clear that we do not believe that he is a racist.

"We didn't think we were saying he was and we apologise to Morrissey if he or anyone else misunderstood our piece in that way.

"We never set out to upset Morrissey and we hope we can both get back to doing what we do best."

Morrissey's solicitor was not immediately available for comment."

Is this the "news" Kristeen was talking about?

the planets seem aligned to be in his favor.

Were that actually the case, Morrissey wouldn't have walked away from the case without having been awarded a single penny and nothing to show for all his efforts except a lawyer's invoice.

Presumably, then, this apology will also appear in the print edition of the NME tomorrow.

Just imagine the size of Morrissey's legal bill for all this.... must be enormous.

No No...This just won`t do ......Those written words these written lies....Moz you`ve been labelled a racist since Arsenal/Madstock leading to label non interest, not shoddy albums..

I wanna see you standing on the High Court steps waving a NME full page apology and a payout of an undisclosed amount.... Amen...

Is this the "news" Kristeen was talking about?

Probably. She "shared" the article front and center on her FB page this morning.

If you're both right then I want to be the first to announce my head remains firmly on my body. What a drama queen. :rolleyes:

As the first comment says, why wait 5 years until it goes to court....?

Morrissey wouldn't have walked away from the case without having been awarded a single penny and nothing to show for all his efforts except a lawyer's invoice.

Not true: he stated several times that all he wanted was an apology in the magazine. And that's exactly what he's got.

It took them five years to publish this short letter of apology...

Not true: he stated several times that all he wanted was an apology in the magazine. And that's exactly what he's got.

An apology? He demanded an apology for the NME having, allegedly, portrayed him as a racist. The apology he got amounts to no more than a statement of regret over his misunderstanding of what the NME had written. Neither you nor Morrissey could believe that this is a satisfactory outcome.

By ways of an apology it's not much, however you take your victories where you find and can win them. Good on Morrissey.

The NME is a shadow of it's former self. It carries little to no creditability or weight in today's music world. It's be surpassed by other websites and it's online presence isn't that strong either.

How on earth could it be considered a misunderstanding?
It was nothing less than a spiteful, bitchy, stitch-up.

How on earth could it be considered a misunderstanding?

Because the article didn't portray Morrissey as a "racist". It revealed the extent of his ignorance and stupidity on the subjects of culture and nationality, but the issue of "race" (as far as I can recall) was never even mentioned.

The way NME wrote the apology sounds to me like they still think they didn't do anything and it was a misunderstanding with the editing. Bullshit!! They did it on porpose to make Morrissey look controversial and sell more magazines. Also the tone of the apology doesn't sound like they are truly sorry to me. They should be taken to court, but if Morrissey is happy with this dull apology I guess it is up to him.

Because the article didn't portray Morrissey as a "racist". It revealed the extent of his ignorance and stupidity on the subjects of culture and nationality, but the issue of "race" (as far as I can recall) was never even mentioned.

How about 'we never set out to upset Morrissey'?
Surely, that's an incredibly blatant lie. They completely rewrote Tim Jonze's original piece (as originally admitted by Jonze who initially said he was baffled by this).
They did absolutely everything they possibly could to upset him.

Next to his picture on the front cover they wrote:
'Bigmouth Strikes Again - "The gates of England are flooded"
Oh dear - not again'

And they claim 'they never set out to upset him'. It's absolute bollocks.

The way NME wrote the apology sounds to me like they still think they didn't do anything

They didn't.

They did it on porpose to make Morrissey look controversial and sell more magazines.

Since Morrissey regularly goes out of his way to seem controversial, this isn't a good criticism.

Also the tone of the apology doesn't sound like they are truly sorry to me.

They aren't, and they have no reason to be.

How about 'we never set out to upset Morrissey'?
Surely, that's an incredibly blatant lie. They completely rewrote Tim Jonze's original piece (as originally admitted by Jonze who initially said he was baffled by this).
They did absolutely everything they possibly could to upset him.

Next to his picture on the front cover they wrote:
'Bigmouth Strikes Again - "The gates of England are flooded"
Oh dear - not again'

And they claim 'they never set out to upset him'. It's absolute bollocks.

Whether the NME's article "upset" him is irrelevant: causing upset isn't against the law.

In any event, given the number of people Morrissey has deliberately set out to "upset" over the years, he really should be able to take it if somebody else returns the favour.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom