Charity you last donated to...

RSPCA till they asked me to up my standing order from £3 a month to £10. I was unemployed at the time so struggled to pay the £3. I was so angry that I cancelled my order and stopped paying them anything at all.

RSPCA till they asked me to up my standing order from £3 a month to £10. I was unemployed at the time so struggled to pay the £3. I was so angry that I cancelled my order and stopped paying them anything at all.

It does seem to be a common practice - badgering those who have already donated until apoplexy results. As does the passing on of information to other charities/NGOs/etc until the phone is constantly clogged with people drooling for money. I never ended up cutting off the funds, though - I tried to keep in mind that it wasn't the animals/starving foreigners/etc themselves ringing up , so why punish them ?

Last edited:
It does seem to be a common practice - badgering those who have already donated until apoplexy results. As does the passing on of information to other charities/NGOs/etc until the phone is constantly clogged with people drooling for money. I never ended up cutting off the funds, though - I tried to keep in mind that it wasn't the animals/starving foreigners/etc themselves ringing up , so why punish them ?

I heard a segment on NPR the other day about telephone etiquette in regards to election campaigns, they art of grabbing the person's attention on the other line and urging them to commit to something. They said that there is a law that autodialing is illegal for cellphones (in America, anyway.) That a computer can autodial a landline, but for some reason cellphones are safe from that. Campaigners still call cellphones, but they have to dial by hand. An autodialer can make approximately 70+ connections in an hour, whereas human dialing can maybe make 20 calls/hr because of human error and the time it takes the person to read the number and punch them in and wait for it to ring and so on. I thought that was interesting.

Red Cross - Overseas aid program

Was too skint this month to manage more than the one donation ...

This month , it was the United Nations Relief Works Agency ( UNRWA) emergency appeal for the Gaza Strip.

Oh , and I managed to cough up some for the WWF Tiger Adoption Program - I feel like vomiting and then murdering someone when I remember that the wild tiger population in 1900 was 100 000. In 2000 , it was 3,500 ...

Oh , and I managed to cough up some for the WWF Tiger Adoption Program - I feel like vomiting and then murdering someone when I remember that the wild tiger population in 1900 was 100 000. In 2000 , it was 3,500 ...

...Strangely enough, I also think saving Big Cats is really important. :D

Besides the WWF, last year I also donated to Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth. It seems I'm following a theme, as to where my hard-earned money goes. :)

I have never ever donated money to anything or anyone in my life and the reason is that swedish media over the years have been good at exposing organisations for putting the donated money in their own pockets. When that does not go on the donated money is used to buy weapons or other equipment making life even worse for the people that are suffering.

Doctors without borders may be the most hand on organisation that I can think of but it is very hard if not impossible to know where the money you donate actually end up. I just think they play on our guilty conscience and in Sweden we have had several campaigns by Save The Children that claimed that Sweden has indeed kids with no money that are starving. First off, I think children are not supposed to have money so naming it child poverty is just wrong as it is their parents that may be poor.

The investigation into this showed there are no poor children in Sweden unless you claim that a kid not having the latest iPhone is poor. The organisations defended themselves despite the obvious fact that no one could find the kids suffering from poverty. Just weeks later Save The Children are now running a pathetic tv ad where kids talk into the camera about not having this and that.

The people that start organisations that want us to donate money do this as it is a great way to steal other peoples money. If everyone cared for themselves and took some repsonsibility for their own lives things would be much better. There was a mother in the investigating programme that said she could not afford her childs yearly schooltrip but when asked why she smoked up the same amount of money every month she found the question offensive.

This is why some people should not be allowed to have kids in the first place cause if they do not smoke or drink or abuse their kids they do not want to realise they have to change their lives in order for their kids to have a better life. These people will blame society and politicians for not affording schooltrips cause they just HAVE to smoke instead or hang at the local bingohall.

Is it any wonder I hate humans altogether?

It is NOT a human right to have kids and you just don't get them or have them cause they are given to you as a blessing and should be seen as such. I am sorry people but I am not buying your communist propaganda here where you openly admit that you are donating hard earned money to people that will not use the money the way you think they will use it.

I am for direct help where you fill a lorry and drive all the way there and hand out the things yourself and therefor I have indeed donated clothes to small organisations run by one or two people who take care of the whole process themselves. I wish there was people doing the same when it comes to medicine and other things people might need. Someone survived this winter in Estonia or Latvia or whatever cause of the Man United jacket I donated. Do not give people or organisations money cause it will end up in their own pockets one way or the other.

I urge people to help drill wells in Africa as the whole reason for the africans problems has to do with lack of water. We could fund the building of a water system down there if our governments used up less than one percent of our taxes to fund the building of it but the fact is those in power do not want to help Africa at all and anyone that believes they will should hang their heads in shame.

Save yourself and the loved ones around you, you cannot fix the world and it is time to grow up and smell the coffee. Florence Nightingale could not save herself but maybe you can!

---Urbanus

The depressing thing about donating money to organizations is that you just know that, even if it doesn't end up in someone's pocket, very little of it is going to be used the way you'd like it to. I mean, all the money I've given is probably just going to cover for someone's coffee breaks, or staples, or other essential functioning costs.

So yeah it relieves your conscience but it's a far from perfect solution.

I'd much rather take direct action and go shoot the people who kill hundreds of elephants in Africa myself, obviously, but that's a bit hard to combine with a full-time job...

I have never ever donated money to anything or anyone in my life and the reason is that swedish media over the years have been good at exposing organisations for putting the donated money in their own pockets. When that does not go on the donated money is used to buy weapons or other equipment making life even worse for the people that are suffering.

Doctors without borders may be the most hand on organisation that I can think of but it is very hard if not impossible to know where the money you donate actually end up. I just think they play on our guilty conscience and in Sweden we have had several campaigns by Save The Children that claimed that Sweden has indeed kids with no money that are starving. First off, I think children are not supposed to have money so naming it child poverty is just wrong as it is their parents that may be poor.

I urge people to help drill wells in Africa as the whole reason for the africans problems has to do with lack of water. We could fund the building of a water system down there if our governments used up less than one percent of our taxes to fund the building of it but the fact is those in power do not want to help Africa at all and anyone that believes they will should hang their heads in shame.

Save yourself and the loved ones around you, you cannot fix the world and it is time to grow up and smell the coffee. Florence Nightingale could not save herself but maybe you can!

---Urbanus

I have to say I don't understand that particular attitude at all . The Red Cross send copies of their yearly audits to all and sundry ( indeed , I think they're even available on the website). As far as transparency goes , what more is relevant ?

You're right in a sense - you probably won't ever know where every last cent goes ... but even if only 10/15/20% of the total ends up doing genuine good , isn't that better than nothing ?

If you once bought food that turned out to be spoilt/past its expiry date/etc. , would you stop buying food altogether ? I can't help but see that as analogous to the whole charity/NGO circumstance. So you ran into a rotten one ? Why is that a reason to spurn all ?

...Strangely enough, I also think saving Big Cats is really important. :D

Besides the WWF, last year I also donated to Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth. It seems I'm following a theme, as to where my hard-earned money goes. :)

Barking , you :guitar: ...

It's nice to see someone else having a fret about the big cat situation

I have to say I don't understand that particular attitude at all . The Red Cross send copies of their yearly audits to all and sundry ( indeed , I think they're even available on the website). As far as transparency goes , what more is relevant ?

You're right in a sense - you probably won't ever know where every last cent goes ... but even if only 10/15/20% of the total ends up doing genuine good , isn't that better than nothing ?

If you once bought food that turned out to be spoilt/past its expiry date/etc. , would you stop buying food altogether ? I can't help but see that as analogous to the whole charity/NGO circumstance. So you ran into a rotten one ? Why is that a reason to spurn all ?

I just feel there has to be higher standards when it comes to these types of organisations. It seems you don't mind it what you donated goes to other things than you wanted it to and if so then you will gladly donate money and don't really care. That is of course something you have a right to do but I feel that organisations that harbour criminals and criminal activity and that cheat should not be allowed to have accounts where donations can be made.

For many people organisations do what individuals cannot or will not do themselves. Your reasoning is frightening but also valid for most younger generations of today. You want to care and you do but your will to help is misdirected and shows a lack of creativity but also how lazy many people are today.

Solutions to major problems can be solved by the various governments around the world and the poverty and problems we see are created problems to keep us all down. Your donations will never ever make any sort of lasting difference but it will maintain the power balance and prolong the problems people like you want to solve.

I will end with a quote from David Icke:
"Just because one man says something doesn't mean he is wrong".

---Urbanus

The depressing thing about donating money to organizations is that you just know that, even if it doesn't end up in someone's pocket, very little of it is going to be used the way you'd like it to. I mean, all the money I've given is probably just going to cover for someone's coffee breaks, or staples, or other essential functioning costs.

So yeah it relieves your conscience but it's a far from perfect solution.

I'd much rather take direct action and go shoot the people who kill hundreds of elephants in Africa myself, obviously, but that's a bit hard to combine with a full-time job...

Just wanna thank you for your comments and say that it brings great hope when people around me can see beyond the obvious. These organisations are big business that will attract criminal elements like any other company will. Peadophiles turn up where children are and economic criminals where money is. The effect these organisations should have had over the years leaves me wondering what they achieved if they ever achieved anything.

I can only speak for Sweden and what has happened here and these organisations are a great stepping stone for people to make a name for themselves and further highlight themselves after a career elsewhere. It is what we call in Sweden "a club of internal admiration".

---Urbanus

I just feel there has to be higher standards when it comes to these types of organisations. It seems you don't mind it what you donated goes to other things than you wanted it to and if so then you will gladly donate money and don't really care. That is of course something you have a right to do but I feel that organisations that harbour criminals and criminal activity and that cheat should not be allowed to have accounts where donations can be made.

For many people organisations do what individuals cannot or will not do themselves. Your reasoning is frightening but also valid for most younger generations of today. You want to care and you do but your will to help is misdirected and shows a lack of creativity but also how lazy many people are today.

---Urbanus

Don't hold back now !

I guess I just haven't come across any information that points to the Red Cross , Australian Greens , RSPCA , UNRWA , etc. , being infested with criminals. From that , I'm willing to infer that they , therefore , most likely aren't ( which surely goes without saying).

Of course , governments should be doing exponentially more to remedy certain situations , which is why I involve myself with parties that advocate a tremendous raise in the foreign aid budget as part of their basic policy platform. As I've said elsewhere , when govt's fail to do their duty , citizens have to step directly into the breach .

Back
Top Bottom