The Meaning Of Life Thread

MORRIZSEY

Wrong species
“Life has to be given a meaning because of the obvious fact that it has no meaning.”

― Henry Miller

“The only absolute knowledge attainable by man is that life is meaningless.”

― Leo Tolstoy

"You fall out of your mother's womb, you crawl across open country under fire, and drop into your grave."
Quentin Crisp

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
Friedrich Nietzsche

“The greatest achievement we can hope to fulfil during our brief time is to help others."

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no meaning. Alternately there is meaning everywhere. It's what you want it to be, it doesn't matter. If there is meaning, it's an arbitrary and subjective one at best.

This is one Morrissey got right, your born, and then you live, and then you die. May seem unfair, but that's your lot.

There is no meaning. Alternately there is meaning everywhere. It's what you want it to be, it doesn't matter. If there is meaning, it's an arbitrary and subjective one at best.

Why do you carry on? There must be meaning to life in order to live, otherwise we're just like animals. We have a mind, therefore a meaning.

There is no meaning of life. But there is a meaning to my life and to your life. It is the meaning we each, as individuals, assign to it. My life has meaning because it is meaningful to me. I value it. And I value it because it has worth. It is precious and fragile and must be handled with care.

Ask all the aborted babies about the meaning of life. Ask all the dead Jews killed in the holocaust about it; hell visit the children's cancer ward of the hospital or any old folks' home where the elderly have been left to die slowly in a half-conscious haze, piss in their diapers, moaning, incoherent, where once they signed off on mortgages, raised children, worked hard, laughed and loved and fought and dreamed and Christmas'd their way through life, smiling, f***ing, crying, working bravely toward a dream, family struggles, personal triumphs, all of it, only to end up being "looked after" by bored halfwit goons in Mickey Mouse emblazoned aprons making minimum wage, who don't care, ask those old people praying for death about "the meaning of life." Drive into the cemetery on your way to a party and pick any grave and shout into the ground asking about the meaning of life. You know what? That's where you'll get the most honest answer. Silence. There is no "meaning" of life. You're here because two people f***ed and didn't abort you.

I'm all for living each day to the fullest, if you can, if you've got the guts, which most people don't, and I certainly don't. But I have serious problems with people who let their egos get the best of them, and see themselves as stewards of some grand legacy, written out in the stars, ordained by fate, all that bullshit. Most people think WAY too highly of themselves and see themselves in way too grandiose of terms. Self confidence is great but I'm talking about something different.

I don't advocate suicide, and God knows there's a lot of beauty in the world. And as Woody Allen said at the end of Hannah and Her Sisters, "what the hell, it's not all a drag." But all I'm saying is don't go too deep into these pretentious (albeit normal and understandable) quests for higher meaning and significance and understanding of the universe because you're probably never gonna find anything other than newspaper headlines about some white trash monster in Gary, Indiana keeping his little boy locked in a cage for 13 years.

The meaning of life tends to shift perspective real quick when you find that lump in your groin that shouldn't be there, or a cop shows up at your door when your child should have been home from school two hours ago and asks you to come identify a body.

But yeah, in the meantime, enjoy your iPods and all that shit, and pay no attention to the nothing behind the curtain.

English translation of one of my favorite italian poems about life being meaningless....
http://allpoetry.com/poem/8527631-N...ng_Shepherd_In_Asia-by-Count_Giacomo_Leopardi

I bought Leopardi's "Canti" not so long ago. Don't know if you've read any of his other poems but "To the Moon" and "The Solitary Life" are well worth the price of admission.

There's another Italian writer, Cesare Pavese, whose poems are very similar in mood ( while,being written in the 1930s/40s, rather less florid in expression).

Ask all the aborted babies about the meaning of life. Ask all the dead Jews killed in the holocaust about it; hell visit the children's cancer ward of the hospital or any old folks' home where the elderly have been left to die slowly in a half-conscious haze, piss in their diapers, moaning, incoherent, where once they signed off on mortgages, raised children, worked hard, laughed and loved and fought and dreamed and Christmas'd their way through life, smiling, f***ing, crying, working bravely toward a dream, family struggles, personal triumphs, all of it, only to end up being "looked after" by bored halfwit goons in Mickey Mouse emblazoned aprons making minimum wage, who don't care, ask those old people praying for death about "the meaning of life." Drive into the cemetery on your way to a party and pick any grave and shout into the ground asking about the meaning of life. You know what? That's where you'll get the most honest answer. Silence. There is no "meaning" of life. You're here because two people f***ed and didn't abort you.

I'm all for living each day to the fullest, if you can, if you've got the guts, which most people don't, and I certainly don't. But I have serious problems with people who let their egos get the best of them, and see themselves as stewards of some grand legacy, written out in the stars, ordained by fate, all that bullshit. Most people think WAY too highly of themselves and see themselves in way too grandiose of terms. Self confidence is great but I'm talking about something different.

I don't advocate suicide, and God knows there's a lot of beauty in the world. And as Woody Allen said at the end of Hannah and Her Sisters, "what the hell, it's not all a drag." But all I'm saying is don't go too deep into these pretentious (albeit normal and understandable) quests for higher meaning and significance and understanding of the universe because you're probably never gonna find anything other than newspaper headlines about some white trash monster in Gary, Indiana keeping his little boy locked in a cage for 13 years.

The meaning of life tends to shift perspective real quick when you find that lump in your groin that shouldn't be there, or a cop shows up at your door when your child should have been home from school two hours ago and asks you to come identify a body.

But yeah, in the meantime, enjoy your iPods and all that shit, and pay no attention to the nothing behind the curtain.
That's one hell of a post Skylarker.

For any creature capable of asking "What is the meaning of life?", life has meaning.

I think it's quite ignorant to simply dismiss any alternative beliefs on higher beings, existance, afterlife and such.
I think that even as our race evolves within each and every day, humanity and science will come to a standstill where things cannot be understood or explained through human understanding.

Personally...I'm waiting for reality is dissolve and for the words "LEVEL 2 LOADING...." to appear :D

It changes all the time, for me right now it is:
to explore over identification with this big thing I call "self"

No matter where I look, this is not that
There is a knit and weave to our lives that is not at all what we think
Thinking is not what we think
Finding heart
Entering through the body
Seeing that fabric and feeling that embrace
Falling into an embrace whose arms reach out to that first event
Infinite proportions and immediate effects, right here, right now
We are held, lovingly, and there was never anywhere else to go

*=from an email someone sent me, I have no idea who they are quoting or if they just wrote it themselves..

Last edited:
For any creature capable of asking "What is the meaning of life?", life has meaning.

In much the same way that the truism "Everything's relative/ It's all relative" is intrinsically self-invalidating...

By the way, Worm, what happened to the cat avatar ? I quite liked it...

I wasn't born from a planned pregnancy, I slipped through an IUD. The sperm that made me not only battled all the other sperm (this is a Wood Allen-esque thought) but it also maneuvered it's way past an unnatural contraption to prevent my birth. My first of many hurdles. I asked my mom about the day she was told that three months in and the doctor said she had 24 hours to decide. So she went home, sat down with my dad, cried a lot and decided they should keep me, one of her signs.

Seems like a waste to not make an effort for the sake of a tiny sperm that made an effort to get me through an IUD. The meaning of my life is to make the tough-ass sperm I was proud. :D

I should eat more vegetables though, for sure.

And the meaning of life is to help other people.

He swears it was a Cosby show in (obviously) Spring of '76.

I don't know. He was a pothead.

In much the same way that the truism "Everything's relative/ It's all relative" is intrinsically self-invalidating...

Pretty much, yes. Meaninglessness as a concept would not exist outside a structure of meaning. Of course, "meaning" is very vague. If the question is, does life a purpose, or is life justified, or does life have any point, that's a different matter.

By the way, Worm, what happened to the cat avatar ? I quite liked it...

I ate the cat.

Back
Top Bottom