NME case - July 16th to 19th - Turn up at court and support Morrissey - info at true-to-you.net

Re: NME says sorry - libel action dropped

Exactly! The NME are made to look the fools they are... again (as are the trolls posting here).

Most people know you ask for more than you desire in these situations and you negotiate down. Moz gets his name cleared, some additional pub in the press making the NME looks like the saddos they are and pisses in the Cheerios of all of his detractors... again. LOL!

I think you've misunderstood. Let me help. NME have maintained, throughout, that Morrissey's name didn't need to be cleared since they hadn't libelled him in the first instance. Their statement, today, reaffirms that that is still the NME's position. All that they've done is lament Morrissey's lack of understanding. If anything, it patronises him. That Morrissey is accepting this non-apology and having to pay his own legal bill as well is the only new aspect of the ongoing saga.

Re: Article: NME case - July 16th to 19th - Turn up at court and support Morrissey -

Morrissey has been made to look a fool over this. Can't believe he accepted that lame 'apology'. A real career low point.

Re: NME case - July 16th to 19th - Turn up at court and support Morrissey

Granted I have no understanding of how the court system works in Britain but is it possible there is an undisclosed element to this? That they settled out of court and part of the deal was a public declaration of apology and the other part was a cash settlement based on the likelihood of Morrissey winning and the NME having to pay much more if they fought and lost?

Additionally, how does it work in England if you have a court-ordered debt against you which you haven't paid, and then you sue someone else for a monetary amount and win? Does the amount you are awarded get seized by the courts and applied o your original debt, before you even see it? I'm referring to the Joyce money here...obviously I'm not pretending to know if Morrissey ever paid it or not but it's clear that at least for years after that court case, he adamantly refused to do so.

So I was wondering how that works in Britain; if Morrissey DID win this case or even if he received a settlement, would he still get the money if the Joyce debt remains unpaid?

Granted I have no understanding of how the court system works in Britain but is it possible there is an undisclosed element to this? That they settled out of court and part of the deal was a public declaration of apology and the other part was a cash settlement based on the likelihood of Morrissey winning and the NME having to pay much more if they fought and lost?

Additionally, how does it work in England if you have a court-ordered debt against you which you haven't paid, and then you sue someone else for a monetary amount and win? Does the amount you are awarded get seized by the courts and applied o your original debt, before you even see it? I'm referring to the Joyce money here...obviously I'm not pretending to know if Morrissey ever paid it or not but it's clear that at least for years after that court case, he adamantly refused to do so.

So I was wondering how that works in Britain; if Morrissey DID win this case or even if he received a settlement, would he still get the money if the Joyce debt remains unpaid?

I'm not quite sure either but judging from this, the Joyce issue has been seen through.

"Our conversation took in everything from football and Ireland – he has a home over there – to mortality, his back problems (the end of his promising 5-a-side football career, apparently), not forgetting the bitter finale of the Mike Joyce court cases: “It’s resolved, I’ve paid him,” he assured me, although he had feared that Joyce wanted more.

He revealed he’d returned to Manchester to face The Smiths’ drummer in the dock once more, seven years on from his first High Court defeat. After Morrissey’s subsequent appeals against the judge’s verdict had failed there had been a reluctance or refusal to pay Joyce, which had resulted in the drummer putting “a charge on my mother’s house and a charge on my sister’s house…He was also trying to sue me under the insolvency act, all of which was absolute nonsense.” Finally, it seemed as if the whole drawn-out messy legal business following the death of The Smiths in 1987 had come to an ugly end and Morrissey could now get on with his artistic life. Days earlier Joyce’s legal team had dropped three further claims and, according to a relieved Morrissey, “had finally abandoned the case”.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/music/meetings-with-morrissey/

I'm not quite sure either but judging from this, the Joyce issue has been seen through.

"Our conversation took in everything from football and Ireland – he has a home over there – to mortality, his back problems (the end of his promising 5-a-side football career, apparently), not forgetting the bitter finale of the Mike Joyce court cases: “It’s resolved, I’ve paid him,” he assured me, although he had feared that Joyce wanted more.

He revealed he’d returned to Manchester to face The Smiths’ drummer in the dock once more, seven years on from his first High Court defeat. After Morrissey’s subsequent appeals against the judge’s verdict had failed there had been a reluctance or refusal to pay Joyce, which had resulted in the drummer putting “a charge on my mother’s house and a charge on my sister’s house…He was also trying to sue me under the insolvency act, all of which was absolute nonsense.” Finally, it seemed as if the whole drawn-out messy legal business following the death of The Smiths in 1987 had come to an ugly end and Morrissey could now get on with his artistic life. Days earlier Joyce’s legal team had dropped three further claims and, according to a relieved Morrissey, “had finally abandoned the case”.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/music/meetings-with-morrissey/

Thanks for posting that; I remember hearing certain things mentioned in that article but I don't think I ever saw the article itself. Not sure how I missed it but I don't always keep up with his press as diligently as I used to...partly because I feel like it's just gonna be the same old non-news, and partly because I believe very little of the spin the journalists put on things.

But this was interesting; thanks again.

Thanks for posting that; I remember hearing certain things mentioned in that article but I don't think I ever saw the article itself. Not sure how I missed it but I don't always keep up with his press as diligently as I used to...partly because I feel like it's just gonna be the same old non-news, and partly because I believe very little of the spin the journalists put on things.

But this was interesting; thanks again.

s'alright.

s'alright.

Wences03.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom