Gaslight Anthem singer Brian Fallon's advice to Morrissey: "You need to get over it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gaslight Anthem Singer Brian Fallon's Advice To Morrissey: "You Need To Get Over

The Gaslight Anthem is the greatest band in the world and Brian could write better lyrics in his sleep than anything Morrissey has offered us for the last 10 years.

:crazy:

When we were young
We were diamond Sinatras
Like something I saw in a dream
We kept our secrets in rooms
locked up tight like a tomb
Where the ballerinas lay

:sleeping:

Re: Gaslight Anthem Singer Brian Fallon's Advice To Morrissey: "You Need To Get Over

Morrissey can attack with cheers from the masses but is never allowed to be attacked. I think that is the gist of it.

Yeah. He's allowed to call for severed heads and ignore court rulings, but if someone suggests he's a little too effeminate, whoa boy, watch out.

Yeah. He's allowed to call for severed heads and ignore court rulings, but if someone suggests he's a little too effeminate, whoa boy, watch out.

You better watch it, dude. He might wear a t-shirt about you! *gasp!*

Oh, so he's one of those awful horrible cretins who neither hates nor loves Morrissey, just merely admits to liking a few songs, but is not obsessively devoted?

Wow, what a loser.

Breathe. There's a good lad.

You see, it's not a question of whether I think Fallon's a horrible cretin and so forth (because I actually don't; in fact, I actually enjoy listening to '59 and AmSlang if you must know the truth). No, my reaction probably wouldn't be any different than yours if you'd heard someone complain about Morrissey always being so depressing to which you would likely retort that that other person should listen to a few more of his songs. I might be wrong about Fallon, but then again, that's why I said what I said in the form of speculation.

You better watch it, dude. He might wear a t-shirt about you! *gasp!*

“Ah, Robbie, when we are dead and buried in our porphyry tombs, and the trumpet of the Last Judgement is sounded, I shall turn and whisper to you, 'Robbie, Robbie, let us pretend we do not hear it.”

that is why "F* Morrissey Solo"

I'm really laughing, Morrissey returns to Smiths?? how coul it be?, does it posible a 52 year old man can return to 25 about feelings or thoughts about life or music?

I knew it was buried there somewhere.

"This might make you throw up in your bed
I'm OK by myself"

"There are explosive kegs between my legs
Dear God, please help me"

"Children in pieces in Irish industrial schools
Nuns called mothers & the Christian Brothers
Kick the shit out of very frightened children"

"I've had my faced dragged in 15 miles of shit
And I do not, and I do not, and I do not like it"

"And the smiling children tell you that you smell
Well, just look at me - a savage beast - I've got nothing to sell
And when I die I want to go to Hell
And that's when goodbye should be farewell"

"Stab me in your own time in Scandinavia"

"However do not call this number again
We're busy molding the face of the kid's replacement, yeah"

are you comparing terrible lyrics with terrible lyrics?

No, just adding more terrible lyrics to his list.

Hopefully people will look at these, without his reputation and vocals clouding their judgment, and realize that he just isn't trying very hard anymore. It's funny, because there is a recent picture of him with a sign that reads "I am the REAL and PROPER poet laureate."

files

With modern lyrics like those, I don't think so.

that is why "F* Morrissey Solo"

I'm really laughing, Morrissey returns to Smiths?? how coul it be?, does it posible a 52 year old man can return to 25 about feelings or thoughts about life or music?

Christ, he wouldn't have to write as a 25 year old. The Smiths were a name. A logo. It was Morrissey writing and singing words at 25, now he's still doing so at 52. What he calls himself is irrelevant, the banner is irrelevant, all of you people get way too hung up on that shit.

The Smiths were a chemical, emotional, and psychological fusion between Morrissey and Marr. That is what should be sought after. I'm not saying that Morrissey magically lost his powers after 1987. I'm saying he was an extremely intelligent, interesting, gifted writer and personality and remained so long after The Smiths broke up and he made some immensely powerful songs and albums after The Smiths. But, after Marr left, and certainly after Alain left, those paints lost their canvas. He is probably still a very gifted writer but as his chosen form of expression is music, he needs a partner who can write music. Without that he is a bored, barrel-scraping shadow chasing former glories and proffering half-baked crap that doesn't stimulate his fans, doesn't stimulate record companies, and probably doesn't even really stimulate himself.

I couldn't give two f***s whether or not you enjoy The Gaslight Anthem, but just for shits and giggles, point out some of Brian's lyrics that you consider "terrible."

"I'm so sick of girls saying they're strong...
If you have to say it, you are wrong."

Alright, kids! I would like to, if I may, say that I don't believe charts/sales could be seen as an evidence of good music these days, hence every jerk on the planet can make it big with a dreadful record. But it does raise a question: will all this very successful chart topping records from today be remembered in 30 years time? Let alone delivering great live performances when they're over 50 years old. Morrissey's reputation never clouded my judgement on his recent songs. The thing I enjoy most about him is his unique way of creating those amazing melodic voice lines. Not to mention the lyrics on Years Of Refusal! I'm very sure his next album will be his new masterpiece. I never meant to be rude or, say, offensive, but let's face it: Time tells everything! ...as you will find out anyway.

Alright, kids! I would like to, if I may, say that I don't believe charts/sales could be seen as an evidence of good music these days, hence every jerk on the planet can make it big with a dreadful record. But it does raise a question: will all this very successful chart topping records from today be remembered in 30 years time? Let alone delivering great live performances when they're over 50 years old. Morrissey's reputation never clouded my judgement on his recent songs. The thing I enjoy most about him is his unique way of creating those amazing melodic voice lines. Not to mention the lyrics on Years Of Refusal! I'm very sure his next album will be his new masterpiece. I never meant to be rude or, say, offensive, but let's face it: Time tells everything! ...as you will find out anyway.

Sigh.

we all need to "get over it" probably :straightface:
as for this band, don't think I know their stuff :confused:
post a link to a song or 2 of theirs and I'll give a listen :thumb:

we all need to "get over it" probably :straightface:
as for this band, don't think I know their stuff :confused:
post a link to a song or 2 of theirs and I'll give a listen :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

get_me_lieutenant_eckhardt.jpg

This will probably get the thread moved but in comparing another recent band of similar career length/nascent fame who talked about Morrissey in the media, The Heartbreaks' songs wipe the floor with the clips you've posted above.

I like this song because it reminds me about when I first heard Morrissey, and how a great band can truly save your life.

This is my favorite song of theirs, if not of anyone's, and it reminds me of when I met my girlfriend.

They sound like they can't decide whether to copy Green Day or The Killers. I wouldn't want to hear them again, but they're probably preferable to post-1997 Morrissey, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just like any other band you hear in your local pub on a Fri night. They will never be anything special. There name should seriously never be mentioned in the same sentence as The Smiths who were c'mon even better than The Beatles!! Lets be honest also, most of Morrissey's solo material is also leagues about crap like Gaslight Anthem

Just like any other band you hear in your local pub on a Fri night. They will never be anything special. There name should seriously never be mentioned in the same sentence as The Smiths who were c'mon even better than The Beatles!!

Sounds like you're talking about Morrissey's current backing band.

Hey Skylarker, unfortunately, the moment you announce a love for a band, you unleash all the contrarians who simply have to say they are crap. Job done. Well done for having an ongoing interest in new stuff.
As far as the reunion of Morrissey and Marr, I am afraid I am in favour of the detractors. The last time these two played together was a lifetime ago. I can think of no reason why they should gel after all this time. At 50 plus, your younger self is a stranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom