Gaslight Anthem singer Brian Fallon's advice to Morrissey: "You need to get over it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gaslight Anthem Singer Brian Fallon's Advice To Morrissey: "You Need To Get Over

The Gaslight Anthem is the greatest band in the world and Brian could write better lyrics in his sleep than anything Morrissey has offered us for the last 10 years.

:crazy:

When we were young
We were diamond Sinatras
Like something I saw in a dream
We kept our secrets in rooms
locked up tight like a tomb
Where the ballerinas lay

:sleeping:

Oh my god, it's Robby! writes: "So I listen to those songs and uhh, one was OK I guess
maybe I just don't get it, I am old"

I don't think it's that. They are just nothing exciting or interesting at all. Simple as that. A nostalgia act of an already nostalgia act.

In other words; "nothing to see here people, keep moving".

Re: Gaslight Anthem Singer Brian Fallon's Advice To Morrissey: "You Need To Get Over

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Wow.

I hadn't had a chance to watch the video interview for myself until just now.

This thread now seems even less necessary and twice as infuriating.

Fallon ripped Morrissey and The Smiths. You'd have to have a tin ear not to hear it. Fallon was asked about his influences. One by one, the Red Bull guy threw out names. Joe Strummer was first. Fallon gave a thoughtful answer. Guy from the Afghan Whigs. Fallon gave a thoughtful answer. Morrissey. Embarrassed pause, "Mmm...not so much", then some teasing of Morrissey and Johnny Marr. That was a half-way diplomatic response to a public question about a public figure, nothing more.

Let me explain the handshake comment. Fallon made fun of Morrissey by saying "He gets the chicks, but he doesn't care..." Gives a "you know what I mean" look to the audience. The audience started laughing. Realizing it sounded homophobic, he elaborated on his remark by adding, "Morrissey says he doesn't like girls or boys...what does he like, TV?" More laughter. Realizing he was shredding Morrissey in front of an audience, he backed off, adding the line about shaking his hand.

Those were nasty, frat-boy cheap-shots. Plain and simple.

And even if you're crazy enough to think it was just good-natured ribbing, there's no getting around the fact that he was giving the Red Bull guy solid answers before and after Morrissey's name came up and had nothing-- nothing-- substantive to say about Morrissey himself. Pretty surprising for a guy who allegedly likes The Smiths not to mention, sixty seconds after talking about how the Afghan Whigs got him into Motown records, that Morrissey and Marr were also influenced by early rock and roll and Sixties girl groups. A guy who allegedly likes The Smiths teases Morrissey about tape and flowers-- okay-- but he has nothing to say about Johnny Marr except that he dresses like a kid?

Sorry. Fallon unloaded the usual rockist bullshit that Henry Rollins has been peddling for years. God, how many times over the years I've had to listen to those same cruel, moronic, meat-headed slurs. "Morrissey? Pffft. Come on. The Smiths were cool, yeah, but, dude, why did Morrissey have to be so f***ing gay?" Oh, and Pearl Jam? Pearl Jam totally rule, man. Yes, Fallon couldn't wait to talk about Pearl Jam.

Oh, how I would love to read Mark Simpson's response to that footage.

Last edited:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Wow.

I hadn't had a chance to watch the video interview for myself until just now.

This thread now seems even less necessary and twice as infuriating.

Fallon ripped Morrissey and The Smiths. You'd have to have a tin ear not to hear it. Fallon was asked about his influences. One by one, the Red Bull guy threw out names. Joe Strummer was first. Fallon gave a thoughtful answer. Guy from the Afghan Whigs. Fallon gave a thoughtful answer. Morrissey. Embarrassed pause, "Mmm...not so much", then some teasing of Morrissey and Johnny Marr. That was a half-way diplomatic response to a public question about a public figure, nothing more.

Let me explain the handshake comment. Fallon made fun of Morrissey by saying "He gets the chicks, but he doesn't care..." Gives a "you know what I mean" look to the audience. The audience started laughing. Realizing it sounded homophobic, he elaborated on his remark by adding, "Morrissey says he doesn't like girls or boys...what does he like, TV?" More laughter. Realizing he was shredding Morrissey in front of an audience, he backed off, adding the line about shaking his hand.

Those were nasty, frat-boy cheap-shots. Plain and simple.

And even if you're crazy enough to think it was just good-natured ribbing, there's no getting around the fact that he was giving the Red Bull guy solid answers before and after Morrissey's name came up and had nothing-- nothing-- substantive to say about Morrissey himself. Pretty surprising for a guy who allegedly likes The Smiths not to mention, sixty seconds after talking about how the Afghan Whigs got him into Motown records, that Morrissey and Marr were also influenced by early rock and roll and Sixties girl groups. A guy who allegedly likes The Smiths teases Morrissey about tape and flowers-- okay-- but he has nothing to say about Johnny Marr except that he dresses like a kid?

Sorry. Fallon unloaded the usual rockist bullshit that Henry Rollins has been peddling for years. God, how many times over the years I've had to listen to those same cruel, moronic, meat-headed slurs. "Morrissey? Pffft. Come on. The Smiths were cool, yeah, but, dude, why did Morrissey have to be so f***ing gay?" Oh, and Pearl Jam? Pearl Jam totally rule, man. Yes, Fallon couldn't wait to talk about Pearl Jam.

Oh, how I would love to read Mark Simpson's response to that footage.

So just the type of dude who would find the 'November Spawned A Monster' promo film "sickeningly effete" ? Perfect fit for Skylarker then :thumb:

So just the type of dude who would find the 'November Spawned A Monster' promo film "sickeningly effete" ? Perfect fit for Skylarker then :thumb:

Oh yes. All this "constructive criticism" of Morrissey definitely has a certain flavor to it, no?

Someone said some cool things, just recently, in response to homophobia.

"In 2012 I still find people on the internet commenting on another person's life how they insult and condemn a person for his choices...How about you let another human being make a decision about their lives without your snide prejudices and bigotry? ... From my limited understanding of the subject, it means feeling your whole life like you were born in the wrong skin. That’s something that 99% of us can’t understand."

Yep, that's from Gaslight Anthem's Tumblr, about Tom Gabel's sex change. Go here to read it.

Nice, right? So we'll just have to assume Brian Fallon's a little confused about things and maybe got to snickering when he shouldn't have. Maybe he thinks it's okay to make fun of men who like flowers because he assumes Morrissey is just doing it all for show. Which would mitigate his comments in the video-- while, at the same time, more or less proving that he likes The Smiths about as much as I like Blue Oyster Cult.

the-smiths-hand-in-glove-rough-trade.jpg

Deal with it.

Last edited:

Rollins is abhorrent to me; his comments about setting Morrissey on fire always have and always will make me sick. I truly don't understand why you guys draw a comparison between his homophobic vitriol and Brian's playful joking.

If Brian met Morrissey in a bar I'm sure he'd waste no time buying him a pint and telling him how much he loved his early records; after all, The Gaslight Anthem were originally called This Charming Man. On the other hand I'm sure Rollins would be an absolute macho shitball. I don't care if you rip on Fallon but please don't compare him to a waste of space like Henry Rollins.

Fallon's comments about Gabel's sex change (which really depresses me, by the way, because to do that to yourself you have to have some serious issues and really hate yourself, which is sad because that guy is a great writer and a very sincere human being) are genuine. Fallon isn't a homophobe; plus Gabel was his friend and former touring partner. All Brian did was joke about how Morrissey doesn't like girls or boys. It was a joke. Christ almighty, do you have no sense of humor?

You should. You're ardently defending the dead-serious integrity of a guy whose Greatest Hits has his hairy asscheeks greeting whoever opens the record. He has his band take the stage in speedos and dresses. It's homoerotic and it's camp and it's because Morrissey is, and always has been, attracted to men...not exclusively, but enough to where he likes to play with the imagery. And that's fine, but don't get all pissy when a straight guy makes a silly joke about it. That doesn't make Fallon a jock or a fratboy or a homophobe. It makes him a normal guy.

As for your embedding of the Hand In Glove sleeve and telling me to "deal with it"...I don't have to deal with shit. Homesexuality is about as impressive to me as a 30 year old learning to ride a bicycle. I have nothing against gays per se, but they don't impress me as being rebellious or interesting based purely on their gayness. Oscar Wilde is a huge hero of mine, but it's not because he liked penises in his mouth. A lot of homosexuals, and particularly homosexual "artists" default to their sexuality to bolster their worth as intellectuals, and that's bullshit. I'm smarter than almost anyone I know and I love pussy. Love it.

We've spent all this time and space debating an interview that by your own admission you just now watched. You wanna know why I didn't say things in the measured, didactic way you think I should have? It's very simple. I don't talk that way. You talk that way.

But, to sum things up...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rollins is abhorrent to me; his comments about setting Morrissey on fire always have and always will make me sick. I truly don't understand why you guys draw a comparison between his homophobic vitriol and Brian's playful joking.

Anyone who has ever heard Rollins say anything at all should know that he was clearly joking in that video. He may dislike Morrissey (or he may actually like him and is just being a sarcastic dick) but it isn't because he is gay. He's touched on the subject of homosexuality for at least two decades now and has always been a strong supporter of gay rights and gay marriage.

If Brian met Morrissey in a bar I'm sure he'd waste no time buying him a pint and telling him how much he loved his early records; after all, The Gaslight Anthem were originally called This Charming Man. On the other hand I'm sure Rollins would be an absolute macho shitball. I don't care if you rip on Fallon but please don't compare him to a waste of space like Henry Rollins.

Rollins isn't a waste of space if he appeared in 'Wrong Turn 2'. Fact.

Fallon's comments about Gabel's sex change (which really depresses me, by the way, because to do that to yourself you have to have some serious issues and really hate yourself, which is sad because that guy is a great writer and a very sincere human being) are genuine. Fallon isn't a homophobe; plus Gabel was his friend and former touring partner. All Brian did was joke about how Morrissey doesn't like girls or boys. It was a joke. Christ almighty, do you have no sense of humor?

I think the answer to that one is obvious.

You should. You're ardently defending the dead-serious integrity of a guy whose Greatest Hits has his hairy asscheeks greeting whoever opens the record. He has his band take the stage in speedos and dresses. It's homoerotic and it's camp and it's because Morrissey is, and always has been, attracted to men...not exclusively, but enough to where he likes to play with the imagery. And that's fine, but don't get all pissy when a straight guy makes a silly joke about it. That doesn't make Fallon a jock or a fratboy or a homophobe. It makes him a normal guy.

*Worm inserts obligatory "there is no such thing in life as normal" quote. Feels impressed with self.*

As for your embedding of the Hand In Glove sleeve and telling me to "deal with it"...I don't have to deal with shit. Homesexuality is about as impressive to me as a 30 year old learning to ride a bicycle. I have nothing against gays per se, but they don't impress me as being rebellious or interesting based purely on their gayness. Oscar Wilde is a huge hero of mine, but it's not because he liked penises in his mouth. A lot of homosexuals, and particularly homosexual "artists" default to their sexuality to bolster their worth as intellectuals, and that's bullshit. I'm smarter than almost anyone I know and I love pussy. Love it.

I wonder what Morrissey's opinion on Oscar Wilde partaking in pederasty is?

We've spent all this time and space debating an interview that by your own admission you just now watched. You wanna know why I didn't say things in the measured, didactic way you think I should have? It's very simple. I don't talk that way. You talk that way.

But, to sum things up...

People don't like brutal honesty.

Last edited by a moderator:

I will read through your response in depth as soon as I can but all I will say for now is that if you think Rollins has redeeming values; I'll take your word for it. I just don't like that clip of him saying he wants to set Morrissey on fire.

I will read through your response in depth as soon as I can but all I will say for now is that if you think Rollins has redeeming values; I'll take your word for it. I just don't like that clip of him saying he wants to set Morrissey on fire.

Morrissey is already flaming enough. What difference is a little fire going to make?

See. That was a joke.

Morrissey is already flaming enough. What difference is a little fire going to make?

See. That was a joke.

I find it alternately funny and annoying that if I typo Morrissey Solo as Morrissey Oslo in Google it pulls up his Norway massacre bullshit.

tumblr_m3wv9eMfyw1rnvtzdo1_500.gif

There's nothing left to say. This thread shouldn't have existed in the first place. Totally disingenuous; textbook flamebait.

Skylarker, you're a funny, insightful, valuable member of the forum. Many people are glad you're here. You should stop the trollish behavior.

As for Brian Fallon and his bands: may he achieve rock mega-stardom, sell out stadiums until he's Bruce's age, and thank Jesus for His blessings when he's inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

It's a beautiful May day.

There's nothing left to say. This thread shouldn't have existed in the first place. Totally disingenuous; textbook flamebait.

Skylarker, you're a funny, insightful, valuable member of the forum. Many people are glad you're here. You should stop the trollish behavior.

As for Brian Fallon and his bands: may he achieve rock mega-stardom, sell out stadiums until he's Bruce's age, and thank Jesus for His blessings when he's inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

:clap:

Sorry pal, it's not that easy. If I stop participating in this thread it'll be because I get bored, not because you decide that the thread has run its course.

This thread has as much right to exist as any other thread. A musician made a comment in the press about Morrissey; it's happened many times, sometimes positively and sometimes negatively, but stuff like that always gets posted here, and people discuss it, debate it, whatever. There's no reason this time should be any different. Is it of earth shattering relevance in the world of Morrissey? No. But can anything that is on the main page lately be described that way? Not usually.

I don't care whether Fallon sells millions of records or two records. I like him, and that's all I care about. I didn't make this thread to troll; I made this thread to get people talking and thinking and debating about a young musician calling an old musician, and a former influence at that, a pretentious has-been. In my starter post I said I agreed with him, and I still do. In another thread I also said I have an issue with absolutes. What that means as applied here is that while I feel Morrissey is currently, and has been for some time, out of ideas, I still feel he has the potential for greatness. I'm getting bored with the potential, though. I want to see the actual greatness. If I didn't still like Morrissey and feel great interest in his art, I wouldn't waste my time here. Only a fool would choose not to see that.

I don't mince words and if you see me as a troll, well, that means about as much to me as me calling you boring means to you. I don't really give a shit, anymore than I give a shit that you call me smart. These are just opinions. This whole forum is about opinions, and discussion, and debate, and sometimes with human beings -even intelligent ones- that gets ugly. But sometimes fighting ugly is good; it brings out the best in people.

I honestly didn't expect anyone here to agree with Fallon, much less enjoy his music. I wasn't surprised by these responses. But this thread is hands down the liveliest and most participated in on this forum in a long time, and that's what's important to me. Life. Activity. Sweat. Action. Human beings getting involved with each other and taking their minds off their shitty jobs or boring lives or horrid relationships.

I accomplished what I set out to do here, and if you can't comprehend or interpret what that is in any other descriptor than one as generic as "trolling," then that's sad.

...I made this thread to get people talking and thinking and debating about a young musician calling an old musician, and a former influence at that...

Wait, where does Fallon indicate explicitly or implicitly that Morrissey is a former influence? Fallon said that he "likes" The Smiths, but that's hardly noteworthy since that's the cool answer nowadays. Fallon also said that Morrissey has a good voice, but then again, I think Leona Lewis has got a good voice too, but she's obviously not all that. I can't recall from the video that Fallon was clear about whether Morrissey was or was not a former influence (unless I missed something). I wouldn't go so far as to say that Fallon's comments are "frat-boyish"-type, but on the other hand, I don't get the sense Morrissey has ever registered all that high on Fallon's list.

Wait, where does Fallon indicate explicitly or implicitly that Morrissey is a former influence? Fallon said that he "likes" The Smiths, but that's hardly noteworthy since that's the cool answer nowadays. Fallon also said that Morrissey has a good voice, but then again, I think Leona Lewis has got a good voice too, but she's obviously not all that. I can't recall from the video that Fallon was clear about whether Morrissey was or was not a former influence (unless I missed something). I wouldn't go so far as to say that Fallon's comments are "frat-boyish"-type, but on the other hand, I don't get the sense Morrissey has ever registered all that high on Fallon's list.

Yeah or, you know, maybe he said he liked The Smiths because they were an incredible band and their music actually meant something to him as a kid. Just because he didn't end up in his 30s debating various yobs on a Morrissey forum at midnight doesn't mean he can't have a measured appreciation of Morrissey's music.

His band was formerly called This Charming Man, and guitarist Alex Rosamilia is a Cure and Smiths obsessive.

I'm not really that keen on debating this too much longer. Fallon likes The Smiths, but has little use for Morrissey's solo output.

That's that.

Yeah, because someone on an independent label whose last album, in the first week alone, shipped 1/3 of what Morrissey's last album (on a major record label) shipped in it's entire run REALLY needs to use his name to gain attention. Right.

so record sales is your guide to quality and integrity??! interesting.
another couple of inconsequential albums and brain f***up will disappear down the toilet of rock history. you know it, he knows it.

Just thought I'd say that Rollins obviously had some kind of thing for Moz. He protested too much. "Whenever I watch November Spawned a Monster" was a giveaway, lol.

so record sales is your guide to quality and integrity??! interesting.
another couple of inconsequential albums and brain f***up will disappear down the toilet of rock history. you know it, he knows it.

I used to front a Minneapolis-based thrash band called Brain f***up. We opened for Mr. Furley's Cock a few times but then we broke up because Jason the bass player's girlfriend was a TOTAL bitch.

Good times though, man. Good times.

Just thought I'd say that Rollins obviously had some kind of thing for Moz. He protested too much. "Whenever I watch November Spawned a Monster" was a giveaway, lol.

Good point...

maybe he just watched the old "Beavis & Butthead" where they watch the video

ps: I am a bit torn about Mr Rollins, Black Flag with him as front man was the first live show I ever went to. So I, sort of, assume he is just trolling from responses when he says the shit he does...

ps: I am a bit torn about Mr Rollins, Black Flag with him as front man was the first live show I ever went to. So I, sort of, assume he is just trolling from responses when he says the shit he does...

Of course he is. He's a performance artist, in sprit, and he specializes in the art of confrontation. But with whom? It should be understood by anyone who has liked The Smiths and Morrissey for a long time, and had frequent run-ins with haters, that 90% of the insults hurled at Morrissey are really directed at his fans. Rollins cares more about disabusing the army of gladioli-waving dorks of their fey, Wildean illusions than he does cutting Morrissey down to size. There's a certain kind of fiery working-class crusader who hates charlatans because they influence the weak-minded; it's not about Morrissey, it's about the fool in Des Moines who walks around imitating him.

Usually you find this attitude among people who hold passionate political views (on either side of the spectrum). My favorite example from the Right is John Milius. At the end of "Conan The Barbarian", which has some similarities to the ending of "Apocalypse Now", the point of the scene is not that Conan takes his revenge by lopping off the head of the snake-god priest, Thulsa Doom, as repayment for slaughtering his parents. That's only part of it. The real point of the scene is that he does so in plain view of hundreds of the dark priest's apostles, the poor dupes and idiots who dress up in white robes and hold candlelight vigils for false gods. The charlatan has to be unmasked publicly so that his followers will snap out of their hypnotized slavery and realize he's not a deity.

For some, Morrissey is their Thulsa Doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom