Alain Whyte Speaks

axe woman

Banned
Chatted with Alain Whyte a few nights ago and this is what he had to say.

It was not his choice to leave the band. While he has the utmost respect for Morrissey and misses performing live sometimes, Alain is very happy to be out of the band as far as it being somewhat of a mutual feeling. Meaning, it was not his choice to leave the band, but he also feels it was for the best for his own life.

He also said it was very important to have his own thing going on, separate from Morrissey because of his wife. They'd like to have kids. He's very appreciative of what Morrissey has done for him over the years and always will be, but he said he will never return to band as he once was.

When I asked him if he'd would still be writing for Morrissey he said, No. But he also added, but you never know!

When I asked him what was the exact reason he left the band, was it a medical thing? He said, That's between me and Morrissey.

I told him that there is a lot of us fans that miss him and wish him well and he said, Thank you, the lot of you have always been very kind.

At this point, his wife pulled him away and said, 'we have to go.'

Chatted with Alain Whyte a few nights ago and this is what he had to say.

It was not his choice to leave the band. While he has the utmost respect for Morrissey and misses performing live sometimes, Alain is very happy to be out of the band as far as it being somewhat of a mutual feeling. Meaning, it was not his choice to leave the band, but he also feels it was for the best for his own life.

He also said it was very important to have his own thing going on, separate from Morrissey because of his wife. They'd like to have kids. He's very appreciative of what Morrissey has done for him over the years and always will be, but he said he will never return to band as he once was.

When I asked him if he'd would still be writing for Morrissey he said, No. But he also added, but you never know!

When I asked him what was the exact reason he left the band, was it a medical thing? He said, That's between me and Morrissey.

I told him that there is a lot of us fans that miss him and wish him well and he said, Thank you, the lot of you have always been very kind.

At this point, his wife pulled him away and said, 'we have to go.'

Where did you meet him ?

Alain Whyte speaks? I did not know this! I thought he only played guitar! :p

But in all seriousness, numerous people have reported this before and people try to pass it off as nonsense saying he willingly left the band. I hope some day Alain will go on record about this so it can be put to rest and the fans can learn about the raw deal he got from Moz and Boz.

Alain Whyte speaks? I did not know this! I thought he only played guitar! :p

But in all seriousness, numerous people have reported this before and people try to pass it off as nonsense saying he willingly left the band. I hope some day Alain will go on record about this so it can be put to rest and the fans can learn about the raw deal he got from Moz and Boz.

Obviously, I don't know the ins and outs of it, but was there a raw deal from Moz and Boz ? Or is this a semi-reasonable inference on your part ? Would love to know more...

Obviously, I don't know the ins and outs of it, but was there a raw deal from Moz and Boz ? Or is this a semi-reasonable inference on your part ? Would love to know more...

Nope, not an inference. After taking a break in 2004, he was never invited back by Morrissey into the touring fold. At one point before a West coast show on the 'Greatest Hits' tour, Alain showed up and talked with Boz and left visibly irritated. When he showed up ready to record for the 'Years of Refusal' sessions and was turned away at the door by Moz via Boz in favor of Jesse Tobias. Alain is no longer writing for Morrissey because of this.

Nope, not an inference. After taking a break in 2004, he was never invited back by Morrissey into the touring fold. At one point before a West coast show on the 'Greatest Hits' tour, Alain showed up and talked with Boz and left visibly irritated. When he showed up ready to record for the 'Years of Refusal' sessions and was turned away at the door by Moz via Boz in favor of Jesse Tobias. Alain is no longer writing for Morrissey because of this.

VivaHate.

So, the rumors that he wasn't allowed to play on his own songs on "Years of Refusal" are true?:squiffy:

Who can say ? It would be great to hear a more substantiated version of events (hello Alain ?) but I'm tempted to assume that he ( and a number of solo Morrissey's other ex-bandmates ) would have signed "commercial -in -confidence" contracts prior to working with our man and ,hence, the dearth of factual accounts.

nothappynotsad, I know I should hunt through the archives to find that particular story about Alain being turned away from the YOR recording sessions but .... ummm, laziness prevails. Any more details ?

Reading this first thing in the morning= :tears:

I feel so sad about this whole Alain situation, assuming this posting is true. So he was fired?

Alain's departure(however it came about) from Morrissey's circle has been such a major loss on so many levels, as we all know.
That's part of what makes this impending "Wilderness II" much more grim than the last one. Just my $.02.

Agreed. Alain was/is a wonderful writer and a very humble man in general. Morrissey owes a good deal of his solo career to Alain, so I have a really hard time believing that he'd fire him for no reason. In what he appears to have said, Alain didn't discount the 'medical' aspect as a possible reason for his leaving - he just refused to talk about it, so perhaps it was a combination of different (personal) factors that made both he and Morrissey feel a "break" would be necessary. If Morrissey treated Alain in the way that nothappynotsad describes after the break, simply because he didn't want to embarrass Tobias... how shameful and sad. I'd love to hear Alain give an official explanation. Or perhaps Moz will put it in the book?

Um, here's what I found with a quick search of the archives- the parking lot story was discussed in at least two threads in 2011. I don't know what to say if that story is true.
*shakes head sadly*

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/114995-Morrissey-and-Alain-Whyte-s-songwriting-partnership-over-for-good?highlight=parking+lot+year+of+refusal

Thanks for filling in the gaps my laziness left. You're right - if we have seen the last of Alain in Morrissey's world , bad luck us. "Southpaw" is still one of my favourite songs of all time...

"Skull" (an Alain song) is probably my favourite track on YOR (especially when the track is mixed via Goldwave to have the lead guitar put through both speakers and the rhythm guitar phased out)...

Thanks for this, axe lady. It's depressing beyond belief.
One could argue that Alain is having the last laugh. It's been nearly 4 years since YOR was recorded (not released) - a time period that is almost as long as the entire career of the Smiths.
And what is the very best thing that Morrissey (in his mind) has been able to produce, post Alain Whyte, over this period? People Are The Same Everywhere. Unbelievable.
If Morrissey continues with this trajectory, and records a new album of Whyte-free songs (and with no other new collaborators) it may well be his worst ever.
Combine the quality of the songs with the all the negativity currently associated with the Morrissey 'brand', and you'll probably also get the worst selling album (perhaps not even shifting 50,000 in the UK).
Having said this, I really want the next Morrissey album to be brilliant. I want Jesse and Boz to have written a clutch of amazing songs. But it's all just seeming a little unlikely...

Agreed. Alain was/is a wonderful writer and a very humble man in general. Morrissey owes a good deal of his solo career to Alain, so I have a really hard time believing that he'd fire him for no reason. In what he appears to have said, Alain didn't discount the 'medical' aspect as a possible reason for his leaving - he just refused to talk about it, so perhaps it was a combination of different (personal) factors that made both he and Morrissey feel a "break" would be necessary. If Morrissey treated Alain in the way that nothappynotsad describes after the break, simply because he didn't want to embarrass Tobias... how shameful and sad. I'd love to hear Alain give an official explanation. Or perhaps Moz will put it in the book?

I still wonder if Alain's back complaint left him unable to be insured for shows , hence his departure (from the live arena, at least)...

Thanks for this, axe lady. It's depressing beyond belief.
One could argue that Alain is having the last laugh. It's been nearly 4 years since YOR was recorded (not released) - a time period that is almost as long as the entire career of the Smiths.
And what is the very best thing that Morrissey (in his mind) has been able to produce, post Alain Whyte, over this period? People Are The Same Everywhere. Unbelievable.
If Morrissey continues with this trajectory, and records a new album of Whyte-free songs (and with no other new collaborators) it may well be his worst ever.
Combine the quality of the songs with the all the negativity currently associated with the Morrissey 'brand', and you'll probably also get the worst selling album (perhaps not even shifting 50,000 in the UK).
Having said this, I really want the next Morrissey album to be brilliant. I want Jesse and Boz to have written a clutch of amazing songs. But it's all just seeming a little unlikely...

Chin up. Instead of "People are the same..." , think "Art Hounds"...

And as a quick aside , I have to say "People are the same..." is a song I find thoroughly enjoyable . I can't be sure whether or not the lyrics emphasize cynicism or hope ( i.e. the differences between self and other as close to inconsequential , hence the end of scapegoating /malignant mirroring/etc. )...

Last edited:
How long before this makes the front page, as a bona fide "News" story? :rolleyes:

This is the saddest twist in the entire Morrissey story. Pretty much every fan I have ever met loves Alain's work and they like him as a person. We all want him back - he's a true gentleman.

It's funny, last week I sent him a message on Facebook to which he replied. I told him how much his music meant to me and that he was responsible for so many of my favourite songs. I would love nothing more than to see him write, record and perform with Morrissey again - but I fear it will never happen.

I apologise for the possibly undue scepticism but , Axe Woman , who/what are you ? Being familiar with this website ( as you are), you'd realise it's been , from time to time ,the haunt of idiots and lunatics. Needless to say , I'm not grouping anyone (least of all you) into these categories , but surely you can understand why an absence of further corroborating detail may induce teeth-gnashing among the rest of us ( or is it just me ?)...

I apologise for the possibly undue scepticism but , Axe Woman , who/what are you ? Being familiar with this website ( as you are), you'd realise it's been , from time to time ,the haunt of idiots and lunatics. Needless to say , I'm not grouping anyone (least of all you) into these categories , but surely you can understand why an absence of further corroborating detail may induce teeth-gnashing among the rest of us ( or is it just me ?)...

Fair point about the Axe Lady - this is really unsubstantiated gossip although it does sound highly plausible.

Also, there is the implication that Alain being turned away from the recording sessions was the end of his involvement with Morrissey.
However, we know that he appeared in the promotional videos to YHKM and ITFWAW somewhat incongruously playing the drums.
I think they must have been Alain's last official public appearances with Morrissey + band...

This is the saddest twist in the entire Morrissey story. Pretty much every fan I have ever met loves Alain's work and they like him as a person. We all want him back - he's a true gentleman.

It's funny, last week I sent him a message on Facebook to which he replied. I told him how much his music meant to me and that he was responsible for so many of my favourite songs. I would love nothing more than to see him write, record and perform with Morrissey again - but I fear it will never happen.

I have sent Alain a handful of messages via FB and he has responded to each, usually promptly and always graciously. He is definitely aware that there is a vocal contingent of Morrissey fans in his corner.

There was nothing that his band did on Years of Refusal that Alain's involvement could have only improved. They are welcome to prove me wrong but I have zero confidence in the merit of an album with nothing but co-writes by Boz and Jesse. Call in Alain, call in someone new (I.e., not already in the band), or call it a day.

Salacious gossip, or truth axelady? Sadly we think it's truth backed up by facts. Alain just disappears ala Andy one day. Just gone and told in a parking lot ala a note on a windshield. Have to sadly agree the musical quality of the songs have drastically decended to almost no output recently. Remember those wonderful days of the gold discs and the outpouring of true creative collaborative genius. New singles, great singles monthly, almost weekly and all those superb albums. God what's happened makes a heart break.
True, Quarry is wonderful, golden and in everyway a classic. Tormentors, though a bit rougher in sound and tone is still a great listen, especially right after hearing Quarry. Refusal is a good record with good tracks and still a good listen. The newest songs though, if one is not blinded by love for Morrissey, aren't the same quality.
Moz now finds himself with a good touring group, but aside from Boz, not much hit song writing evident. Certainly Boz must miss bouncing riffs & ideas about with his old song writting pal Alain. The obvious loss of Alain Whyte has been staggering!
Whatever the reason for Alains departure, tact, decorum and respect for all involved and their privacy in this matter a must. Who could envy Morrisseys position in this obvious bad-call. We all certainly wish Morrissey and crew success and the best because we must? Ha! More like because we care and in our different ways love this character of creative art that touches our hearts... That's you Morrissey!!!m&d

Back
Top Bottom