The band in bathing suits (and Boz in drag)...

There was a story during the Oye Esteban tour, I think, where one of the audience shouted "Johnny Marr played it better!" and he replied, "No he didn't". As well as that silly "ET" comment he made about Johnny onstage in 2000, which prompted a lot of boos from the crowd. I don't think Morrissey has ever been particularly disloyal or unkind about his solo line-ups... until he started making them pose naked and dressing them up, of course :rolleyes:

I for one hadn't heard this story nor do I think I know about an "ET" comment. Could you please elaborate?

I for one hadn't heard this story nor do I think I know about an "ET" comment. Could you please elaborate?

Did Moz (well, someone has to say it ) want Marr to "phone home" (i.e. him ?) ? Or was the supposed comment more to do with that somewhat strangely tapered face of the younger Marr ?

Some good points but don't forget that Moz proudly offered up Jesse as his new songwriting partner in that TV interview before any of that hatred came about -- before he had to "stick up" for him. It really surprised me at the time because he never sat next to Alain and praised him, though Alain and Boz got some good compliments over the years in written interviews.

This analysis may be off but when he says "best band" it's probably more than musicianship and about the work ethic, dynamics and yes -- their willingness to dress up.

From a purely technical standpoint Jerry Finn wasn't Morrissey's best producer but he loved working with him, and probably would've kept doing so.

I don't think his band got quite as much criticism in the "old days" as they are doing now. I mean, the hate for Jesse Tobias has been absolutely fierce and I don't think it's escaped Moz' attention. He knows the band get a lot of flack and he's probably trying to stick up for them in some way. I remember a radio interview from 1999/2000 where he said that he'd been offered record deals and turned them down because the label bosses wanted him to dump the band. That's pretty loyal. There was a story during the Oye Esteban tour, I think, where one of the audience shouted "Johnny Marr played it better!" and he replied, "No he didn't". As well as that silly "ET" comment he made about Johnny onstage in 2000, which prompted a lot of boos from the crowd. I don't think Morrissey has ever been particularly disloyal or unkind about his solo line-ups... until he started making them pose naked and dressing them up, of course :rolleyes:

Last edited:

I am happy to elaborate on that story, as I was in the audience when he told it. It was the Chicago Theater, February 2000. He said, "Did you all know that Johnny Marr was the original choice to play the part of ET?" And the crowd booed, and he just waved it off. I remember shuddering. :squiffy:

I am happy to elaborate on that story, as I was in the audience when he told it. It was the Chicago Theater, February 2000. He said, "Did you all know that Johnny Marr was the original choice to play the part of ET?" And the crowd booed, and he just waved it off. I remember shuddering. :squiffy:

I hadn't heard that before either, but it sounds like a horrific thing to say. I'm not surprised the crowed booed. So low indeed

I was there, I remember that too, and I thought, "ummm...OK, random...whatever, Morrissey."

Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

And of course, this was AFTER thanking Marr while receiving the Ivor Novello award? :squiffy:
I wonder, is this brilliant insult by chance floating about youtube somewhere? I could always use a good facepalm.

If memory serves he also did a microphone-penis-shake that night during the urinal line of The Boy Racer.

God that was a great show.

I didn't attend the gig (lucky you, Giselle & Skylarker!), but Stephane transcribed the stage banter on the now-defunct Passions Just Like Mine, and I took the quote from there. As I recall, he said, "Did you know that Steven Spielberg's original choice for ET was Johnny Marr?", and then, after hearing the boos, said, "It was Spielberg's choice, not mine!". I never understood what made Moz say that. I think he was just pissed off with Johnny post-court case or had read Johnny slagging him off in one of the music papers and wanted to equalize. I always thought "ET" was relating to Johnny's height.

l, he said, "Did you know that Steven Spielberg's original choice for ET was Johnny Marr?",

No in fact his 1st choice was Boz in one of his dresses:

tumblr_m3hbqctHq51qbg158o1_500.gif

Did Moz (well, someone has to say it ) want Marr to "phone home" (i.e. him ?) ? Or was the supposed comment more to do with that somewhat strangely tapered face of the younger Marr ?

Strangely tapered? :lbf: that made me smile. Marr was beautiful!
Re: "phone home", that's an interesting slant on it. Reminds me of - 'young boy, (call home?)...I wanna help you' from the live version of Disappointed, which I always thought was about Marr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephane transcribed the stage banter on the now-defunct Passions Just Like Mine, and I took the quote from there. As I recall, he said, "Did you know that Steven Spielberg's original choice for ET was Johnny Marr?", and then, after hearing the boos, said, "It was Spielberg's choice, not mine!".

Thanks, Amy, for the exact PJLM quote about the ET comment.

I didn't recall the second part of his comments. I think the crowd was buzzing so much after he directly referenced JM, that I guess his comeback comment ("Spielberg's choice, not mine") to the booing crowd, after he dismissively waved us off, was maybe a little overlooked. :rolleyes:

Still, an awesome gig! :guitar:

You guys have no sense of humor! ET was awesome. He called his space ship back using a speak and spell and collander and could make bicycles fly. He was very innovative. AND he blended in with cute dolls and teddy bears, I'd be honored to be called ET.

You guys have no sense of humor! ET was awesome. He called his space ship back using a speak and spell and collander and could make bicycles fly. He was very innovative. AND he blended in with cute dolls and teddy bears, I'd be honored to be called ET.

tumblr_m2mff5Im8r1qi1xud.gif

why the HELL is BOZ in drag on this leg of the tour?

I'm not sure if the reason has been given...but I find it a bit ODD.

Re: why the HELL is BOZ in drag on this leg of the tour?

Sorry.. but it's really really common. It doesn't happen only on this tour.

Boz has been in drag for ages. He doesn't want to get his belly out when the others are being paraded around in boxers and swim trunks.

Boz has been in drag for ages. He doesn't want to get his belly out when the others are being paraded around in boxers and swim trunks.

I wonder if he had to get a note from his mum.

Back
Top Bottom