Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Marr Interviewed by AV Club

Hybrid View

Be work of art or wear 1 goinghome's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Default Johnny Marr Interviewed by AV Club

Noel Murray from AV Club has spoken at length to Johnny Marr. The interview is online - http://www.avclub.com/articles/johnn...the-smi,73276/

...AVC: Thereís a documentary about The Clash, made when Joe Strummer was alive, in which he talks about all the little things that led to the breakup of The Clash, and how he wishes he could go back to that person he was in his 20s and say, ďNone of this matters. The addictions donít matter. The personality conflicts donít matter. You are in one of the greatest bands of all time. Donít fuck it up.Ē Do have a similar feeling about the end of The Smiths? Whatís your take on how and why everything fell apart?

JM: Well, I donít think anything was fucked up. I donít have that kind of perspective at all. I think itís sad that four guys who were so tight went through such bitterness, that was encouraged by the behavior of some members of the band. Obviously, it was very emotional. The band was incredibly dramatic, and Iím philosophical about that because I think without that dramatic element, some of the music wouldnít sound the way it does. Not all, but some. I think the only regrettable thing is that as adults, only Andy and myself get together and give each other a hug and make fun of each other and like seeing each other. To be honest, itís unfortunate that The Smiths donít have the relationship where they can sit around and even get complaints out, or philosophize. Thatís unfortunate for four adults who are always going to have a tie to each other. And unfortunately lots of waterís gone under the bridge, you know? But I can only speak for myself, and say that I donít have any negative thoughts about the times back then or the times now, or the people in it. I just personally feel a sense of pride, and an incredible degree of luck. All I want to say about that, on behalf of the other three members of the group, is that we worked very, very hard and we really, really cared...

0 Not allowed!

Despitemybetterjudgement Iona Mink's Avatar
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 2

Default Re: Johnny Marr Interviewed by AV Club

JM: Well, I don’t think anything was fucked up. I don’t have that kind of perspective at all. I think it’s sad that four guys who were so tight went through such bitterness, that was encouraged by the behavior of some members of the band. Obviously, it was very emotional. The band was incredibly dramatic, and I’m philosophical about that because I think without that dramatic element, some of the music wouldn’t sound the way it does. Not all, but some. I think the only regrettable thing is that as adults, only Andy and myself get together and give each other a hug and make fun of each other and like seeing each other. To be honest, it’s unfortunate that The Smiths don’t have the relationship where they can sit around and even get complaints out, or philosophize. That’s unfortunate for four adults who are always going to have a tie to each other. And unfortunately lots of water’s gone under the bridge, you know? But I can only speak for myself, and say that I don’t have any negative thoughts about the times back then or the times now, or the people in it. I just personally feel a sense of pride, and an incredible degree of luck. All I want to say about that, on behalf of the other three members of the group, is that we worked very, very hard and we really, really cared...
    Yes Johnny you are quite the peacemaker as you once again distance yourself from holding any responsibility.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 1

Is this man ever going to stop talking about The Smiths? Or stop blaming everything on Morrissey for two seconds? How entirely unsurprising that he doesn't elaborate on any of this 'water under the bridge' stuff - that's because he started it. Johnny Marr, as much if not more so than anyone else, encouraged "bitterness" between the band members post-split by spending most of the 1990s telling anyone in earshot what a sad, pathetic whiny old sack Morrissey was, what a nightmare he was to work with and how Bernard Sumner or Matt Johnson or someone equally mediocre was a better singer/writer/God knows what else. He burnt his bridges long ago; he continues to burn them with every cryptic wink and nod about 'The Big Bad Wolf' of The Smiths story, and I'm amazed that Morrissey still gives him the time of day. You bit the hand that fed and now you're paying for it, Johnny. Does he seriously wonder why Moz doesn't turn up at his door with wine and chocolates?

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Is this man ever going to stop talking about The Smiths?
    Yes, probably as soon as people stop asking him about The Smiths.

Does he seriously wonder why Moz doesn't turn up at his door with wine and chocolates?
    Stolen wine and chocolates, surely.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Worm View Post
    Yes, probably as soon as people stop asking him about The Smiths.
    Never, then .

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Never, then .
    The A/V Club will cease asking Johnny Marr questions about The Smiths when you and I cease rushing to any site who asks him the questions. Let's not pretend we're innocent. I mean, it's like complaining about tabloids. Someone wants to hear Johnny Marr talk about The Smiths. Someone wants to believe Rupert Murdoch sodomized bat boy.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

The A/V Club will cease asking Johnny Marr questions about The Smiths when you and I cease rushing to any site who asks him the questions. Let's not pretend we're innocent. I mean, it's like complaining about tabloids. Someone wants to hear Johnny Marr talk about The Smiths. Someone wants to believe Rupert Murdoch sodomized bat boy.
    But do you think he has nothing else to talk about? Or that no-one would want to read it if it didn't mention The Smiths? I'd be willing to skim over anything involving Johnny Marr because I'm a fan, and I always have that hope that he might say something new or at least slightly different from things he's said a thousand times before. He's nowhere near as one-dimensional as these endless Smiths interviews make him out to be, but you'd never know it. Maybe the journalists and the media portray him that way because that's what the public remember him for and that's what will sell copies, sure - but no-one is forcing him to sit and repeat all this stuff. He could just tell them politely that Smiths questions are pointless now and make them a no-go, like Moz did all those years ago. Without that, he'll be trapped in his own past forever, giving the same interviews in twenty years as he is today.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

I posted a chance for anyone to ask him a question about anything recently, via this link .
    The comments which followed were about pet names, masturbation, pictures of Noel Edmonds, gay sex and "Why did the Smiths brake up".
    This criticism is a little misplaced surely?

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MORRIZSEY View Post
    I posted a chance for anyone to ask him a question about anything recently, via this link .
    The comments which followed were about pet names, masturbation, pictures of Noel Edmonds, gay sex and "Why did the Smiths brake up".
    The criticism is a little misplaced surely?
    That's only based on the answers of a few flippant Solo-ers though, myself included. There might have been a fair few people on the 'kinder, gentler' forum () who had different questions to ask. I'm not sure fan questions and journalist questions should be measured against the same standard, though.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

That's only based on the answers of a few flippant Solo-ers though, myself included. There might have been a fair few people on the 'kinder, gentler' forum () who had different questions to ask. I'm not sure fan questions and journalist questions should be measured against the same standard, though.
    Therefore your criticism becomes invalid. You are arguing against/ despite your own standards

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MORRIZSEY View Post
    Therefore your criticism becomes invalid. You are arguing against/ despite your own standards
    Er, what? If I met Johnny Marr and was asked to interview him, I wouldn't seriously ask him if he and Morrissey had pet names, for Christ's sake. In fact I'm not sure what I'd ask him, but it wouldn't involve The Smiths because I expect he's as bored of saying all that stuff as we are of hearing it - and after 25 years, I think he's exhausted everything there could ever be to discuss about that topic anyway. Every single, minute aspect of The Smiths has been dissected, analysed, criticised and re-evaluated over the years. What's left but the legacy, really? Most journalists aren't going to take that into consideration if they need to sell papers, of course - I just think Johnny (and fans like myself) might prefer it more if they did. He's said on several occasions that he wants the media to stop 'living in the past', but perhaps he doesn't help by facilitating them all the time.

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

Lightbulb Re: Johnny Marr Interviewed by AV Club

He recently spent a lot of time remastering The Smiths' recordings so that they could be reissued. The technical term is, I think, "marketing".

0 Not allowed!

Banned
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Matt Johnson or someone equally mediocre
    that's unfair. Matt's an excellent musician worthy of Johnny's talents

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by goinghome View Post
    Noel Murray from AV Club has spoken at length to Johnny Marr. The interview is online - http://www.avclub.com/articles/johnn...the-smi,73276/
    Thank you.

It is a great interview. Johnny has never sounded more grounded and gracious. I think Morrissey would sound the same way, on most days of the week.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 3

Thank you.

It is a great interview. Johnny has never sounded more grounded and gracious. I think Morrissey would sound the same way, on most days of the week.
    I second that, one of the better interviews I've read from the ex-Smiths recently including Moz. Completely empathise with his "who wants to be stuck in a box at 25" comment and he's just a top bloke really.

0 Not allowed!
    Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    And don't have any kids yourself

DAVIE

I think Johnny was being very polite about The Smiths. However, Johnny didn't exactly say "I want to meet Morrissey and Mike Joyce again"....I think Mike Joyce wrote Johnny Marr a message a year or two ago through an interview. So I don't think Joyce has a massive grudge against Marr or Morrissey. I think this year or next year would be the perfect time to reform The Smiths if I'm honest, but they won't.

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

1)The reason Johnny has done a mass of interviews regarding the Smiths recently is because he did the remasters.
    2)Johnny goes out of his way NOT to have a pop at any of his ex-band mates in the interview.

Jesus - some people round here are nuts.

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

Moz sycophants rag on Marr yet Morrissey is the one hanging around with the ponderous Jesse Tobias.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

This is one of the best Marr interviews I've read. We know he gets asked all the time about The Smiths but each time is an opportunity to offer a further snippet on things. The negativity on here about everything is horrid. I though he answered some of those questions differently than he has done in the past, particularly regarding the other band members. Some people would rather just speculate and argue hypothetically on this forum that they know the history and the reasons for the split and woe betide any member of the original line-up should speak and offer any insight into the matter. It's incredible that people on here seem to hate any mention of The Smiths' history. That is, in fact, if they even know who The Smiths were!

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 67

That's a terrific interview. Thanks for the link.

P.

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast