The value of the Morrissey market

Unlikely One

Had to laugh when I saw that recordstore were selling the Moz RSD pic disc today, having dragged my missus out of bed at 0630 last weekend to get to our local (30 miles - country roads) record store. Got there are 10 past 8 and all 4 copies had gone....had to head on to Skegness and got the last one 5 minutes after shop opened. Good £15 in petrol, £3 in parking and the stress and £13.99 at the shop. Did pick up some nice wee bits and pieces as well, but in this instance Ebay and online have had value.

A collectors question though while we are here, as I have bought and sold a lot of stuff over the years.

1. Are collectors thinner on the ground than say 5-8 years ago.

2. I get that impression as the Morrissey market seems to have collapsed in the last few years in the low to medium price range. The serious collectables are still just that. Little nice pieces like Boy Racer promos, some cdrs, promos etc just don't seem to be fetching the prices they used to. Also some other nice bits like Handsome Devils or Family Line go on ebay at set prices that people would have previously paid but no one buys.

I know a lot of you are buying quite expensive pieces mostly, but there are some also who are compiling nice but middle range collections. Interested to hear how the current collectors see things.

Interesting question this, I think the answer lies partly in where collecting sits in peoples lives. For the majority I would think collecting is something they like to do as opposed to the collector is who they are, if that makes sense, and as such when times get tough, and they are tough, there are other things that take priority, (have you seen how much a loaf of bread is, it's flour and water for christ sake.) I to have over the years collected still do, as something I like to do type collector, and have a nice "middle range collection" as such I tend to buy from my surplus wealth, i'm not therefore likely to put the cost of £60 on a credit card to pick up that mint sealed Family line when there are Morrissey in manchester tickets to go on there and i've not paid for the family holiday yet. There are obviously those of us to whom these things don't apply those who are collectors first and foremost, those who are in well paid recession proof employment (but even these have to buy bread) The good times for sellers will return, it just may take ten years.

Interesting question this, I think the answer lies partly in where collecting sits in peoples lives. For the majority I would think collecting is something they like to do as opposed to the collector is who they are, if that makes sense, and as such when times get tough, and they are tough, there are other things that take priority, (have you seen how much a loaf of bread is, it's flour and water for christ sake.) I to have over the years collected still do, as something I like to do type collector, and have a nice "middle range collection" as such I tend to buy from my surplus wealth, i'm not therefore likely to put the cost of £60 on a credit card to pick up that mint sealed Family line when there are Morrissey in manchester tickets to go on there and i've not paid for the family holiday yet. There are obviously those of us to whom these things don't apply those who are collectors first and foremost, those who are in well paid recession proof employment (but even these have to buy bread) The good times for sellers will return, it just may take ten years.

You should spend your money more wisely.You could get a couple of new anoraks for 60 quid.

...There was a local memorabilia/collectors stall in my local pub a few months ago, and they were buying ALL sorts of things....I took over a couple of my Morrissey signed items ( Hulmerist dvd, and "Hand in glove" single)...just to see what they would maybe offer...(...I didn't really plan on selling them...just curious....)..I was told to come back and see them when Morrissey was dead... ( ....Sorry, but true...)...they weren't interested at all.....but, I DID sell a fair bit of other stuff, at a GREAT profit !! VIVA MOZ!!!!

Had to laugh when I saw that recordstore were selling the Moz RSD pic disc today, having dragged my missus out of bed at 0630 last weekend to get to our local (30 miles - country roads) record store. Got there are 10 past 8 and all 4 copies had gone....had to head on to Skegness and got the last one 5 minutes after shop opened. Good £15 in petrol, £3 in parking and the stress and £13.99 at the shop. Did pick up some nice wee bits and pieces as well, but in this instance Ebay and online have had value.

A collectors question though while we are here, as I have bought and sold a lot of stuff over the years.

1. Are collectors thinner on the ground than say 5-8 years ago.

2. I get that impression as the Morrissey market seems to have collapsed in the last few years in the low to medium price range. The serious collectables are still just that. Little nice pieces like Boy Racer promos, some cdrs, promos etc just don't seem to be fetching the prices they used to. Also some other nice bits like Handsome Devils or Family Line go on ebay at set prices that people would have previously paid but no one buys.

I know a lot of you are buying quite expensive pieces mostly, but there are some also who are compiling nice but middle range collections. Interested to hear how the current collectors see things.

I do also think that the interest in collecting Morrissey is declining. I have seen many, many formerly rare items on eBay recently. Some still go for high prices (there's a nice collection of the promo 7" from 1993/1995 that still seems to get prices above GBP 100), but some don't sell at all. The 'die hard, buy at any price' collectors marked seems to be saturated. In addition, it seems that some fellow collectors give up collecting Morrissey and offer (parts of) their collections.

It was astonishing to see how long several copies of both Viva Hate Redux Promos were on offer until they were finally sold. The new promos - in addition that they are not even well done - lack the exitement to have something that is unique.

Furthermore, as an example, the RSD 10", despite being limited to 1.000 copies and spread all over the world, is too easy to get. I mean, if Recordsstore offers 25 of them a week after the release, this seems not be be a sign that they were much soght after on RSD (as a whole, i know that its differs from country to country). A Limited Edition shall be limited in a way that it makes (a collectors) sense. Collecting is also hunting for something...

Since 2009, Morrissey did release remastered, redesigned, special extended anniversary editions of 4 of this original albums, plus a Very Best Of, plus a B-Side Collection (2004-2009), plus the 3-CD HMV collection (1988-1995) (which he surely is not to blame for). He opened his vauld and released many unreleased tracks - killing the value of some highly demanded collectors pieces (like e.g. the November The Second acetate). Surely there are unreleased gems out there, but the constant output of rarities over three years is not good for a collectors market.

Also, the promo items from 1988-1994 and 2004-2006 were affectionately made. On the one hand, see the series of the HMV 12" promos for the first six singles, the two 10", grammophone-style promos from 1992 or the a.m. promo 7"/CD releases from the Parlophone era. Or the many, many promos from the Sanctuary era which - despite beeing mostly CD-Rs - were made with a passion.

On the other hand, no of the newer promos is interesting on their own. They are only sought after to have no gaps in the collection, not because if the item itself (in opposite to e.g. the dutch That's Entertainment promo CD from 1997 is an extraordinary item of it's own, also the Motor Cycle Au Pair Boy promo 12" from 1989). Too many fakes of promo CDRs have lowered the interest, too - it does not even take big knowledge or recoureses to fake a CDR - especially if they are like the 'white' ones made by EMI for the Bona Drag and Everyday Is Like Sunday re-releases.

Finally, a real new release in the shelves does always kindle the collectors market, too.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts Stefan. and yeah billybu69 I saw those promos shortly after I posted, which was amusing.

You are right Stefan, some new product on the shelves helps. The You are the Quarry years seemed to be quite a boom time for prices. Not sure we will rediscover that type of adulation as things continue. Always hold out hope for the next 'masterpiece'.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Morrissey market is doing just fine!

CDs are changing hands for 1000$s of dollars as we speak!

£122, £211 & £335 - eye watering prices. Answers the question as to whether the arse has dropped out of the Morrissey market.

Dave

Dave, you ain't wrong. They are all middle ground items but the selling prices don't reflect that at all, but I suppose we all know the lengths we can convince ourselves are reasonable when you want a particular object of desire.

Ive just been keeping a closer eye on things as I've sorted my finances to re-establish a good vinyl collection? New record player amp and speakers arriving any day. Special plays only! Unlikely to be in mikaels league though!

Mikael, when you mention four figure CDs are you able to say what CDs command that kind of price? Intrigued. That's a lot of good nights out at debaser.

Just to add I had a look at the popsike listings for the smiths and moz online auctions. They identified the following as costing the most in last few years. Really interesting site that shows the disparity between purchases and times.....I suppose items have a general value and then they have a personal value....

the smiths hand in glove negative sleeve 2011-07-01
2000 GBP

THE SMITHS HEAVEN KNOWS WHITE LABEL 7" RT156 MORRISSEY 2007-02-08
1550 GBP

The Smiths debut album GENUINE BPI award gold disc 2006-08-18
1500 GBP

THE SMITHS* REEL AROUND THE FOUNTAIN TEST PRESSING 2006-11-30
1331 GBP

THE SMITHS REEL AROUND THE FOUNTAIN 7" TEST PRESS PROMO 2008-04-28
1220 GBP

The Smiths - Reel Around the Fountain Green label test 2011-08-24
1395 GBP