The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition) pre-order at Rough Trade shop (Oct 1, 2012)

Re: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition)

Sounds juicy. I wonder how much new info/interviews are included in the updated version? Marr said he regretted speaking to Rogan the first time around; I wonder if he's contributed this time. Strange that a revision hasn't got wider Press, especially given all the attention to the new edition of Mozipedia etc.

How many updates has this book had? jesus christ...

Just spotted on Roughtrade.com:

ROGAN, JOHNNY
morrissey and marr: the severed alliance (updated edition)

Release Date: Pre-Release

morrissey & marr: the severed alliance is among the most successful - and controversial - rock biographies ever published. having denounced the book and called for the death of its author johnny rogan, morrissey later did a u-turn and cited it as evidence in the royalty-related court case brought by smiths drummer mike joyce. now, 20 years after it was first published, rogan has returned to his definitive smiths biography to produce a completely revised edition based on new information and new interviews to add to the almost 100 initially conducted over a four-year period. widely acclaimed as one rock's leading writers, johnny rogan now brings yet more insight and analysis to his best-selling book that revealed, for the first time, the true and unsanitised story of the smiths - the most important group of their generation.

severedalliance.jpg

UPDATE Apr. 29, 6:05AM PT:

FROSTY posted a link to the listing on Amazon.com with some more details and a clearer version of the cover.

Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance: Updated & Revised 20th Anniversary Edition [Paperback] - Amazon.com

Publication Date: October 1, 2012

Now, 20 years after it was first published, Rogan has returned to his definitive Smiths biography to produce a completely revised edition based on new information and new interviews to add to the almost 100 initially conducted over a four-year period.

Widely acclaimed as one rock’s leading writers, Johnny Rogan now brings yet more insight and analysis to his best-selling book that revealed, for the first time, the true and unsanitized story of The Smiths – the most important group of their generation.

Related item:

Attachments

• 351088l.jpg
    351088l.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 657
Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I wonder if there is a further 20 pages on the history of Ireland in this one.....

Interestingly, there is a big volume on the Smiths coming out by another author in the Autumn.......

Re: Article: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition) pre-order at Rough Trade shop

is the book any good? i've had my doubt since the first time i heard about it on here years ago.

Re: Article: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition) pre-order at Rough Trade shop

Mozipedia is soo much better in every way, but I'm sure I'll be getting this one

Well, it's maybe a bit unfair to compare a book published way back in 1992 before the internet, with the Mozipedia which came out in 2009. Even Simon acknowledged in his book that the Severed Alliance was "a bedrock foundation for every subsequent investigation into the group, this one included" and that nothing had "escaped the shadow of its influence". Len Brown said the same in the intro to his book. I don't know what an update would cover, but Rogan was the only person to attend the court case in its entirety so some of that might throw up some new info or revelations. Who knows?

I had a wonderful opportunity to buy *The Severed* in New York some years ago but did not. It is a heavy book and I tried to read the two first pages to have a glimpse of the whole thing but found it to be not much interesting. I did regret and thought I was stupid for missing the chance to have it for good. By the way, I found this one online: "Is It really So Strange?" »»»»»
http://2ndcannons.com/Jones_IsItStrng_cover.html
http://2ndcannons.com/Jones_IsItStrng_introD.html
http://2ndcannons.com/Jones_IsItStrng_12.html
http://2ndcannons.com/Jones_IsItStrng_20.html
http://2ndcannons.com/Jones_IsItStrng_22.html

What's the point?

Well, it's maybe a bit unfair to compare a book published way back in 1992 before the internet, with the Mozipedia which came out in 2009. Even Simon acknowledged in his book that the Severed Alliance was "a bedrock foundation for every subsequent investigation into the group, this one included" and that nothing had "escaped the shadow of its influence". Len Brown said the same in the intro to his book. I don't know what an update would cover, but Rogan was the only person to attend the court case in its entirety so some of that might throw up some new info or revelations. Who knows?

Are you the author touting for trade?
Books on Morrissey are a waste of time if there are no family or friends as sources of information.
I agree with the earlier poster ' Mozipedia'is the only book worth the money.
James Maker said Severed was a book of lies and full of inaccurate information.

I am going to wear 2 black roses and a black pudding* in my boxers on stage at the M A gig (*Bury Black Pudding )

Don't buy this book

There have been several books on Morrissey and The Smiths released since this first came out - some of which tear shreds off Rogan. The debate has moved on. I wonder if he has taken this on board or if he's just pretending it didn't happen?

Typography on the cover is awful.

is the book any good? i've had my doubt since the first time i heard about it on here years ago.

it is not good, it's FANTASTIC. Do yourself a favour and buy it, honestly. I loved every single page on that book. It starts slow, the first chapter is not very interesting but after that you just can't stop reading.
I also recommend a book called "HOW SOON IS NEVER", it's a novel about two guys who want to reunite The Smiths. I had a fantastic time reading it, hightly recommended.

Re: Article: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition) pre-order at Rough Trade shop (Oc

Heheh.
I am going to wear 2 black roses and a black pudding* in my boxers on stage at the M A gig (*Bury Black Pudding )

Don't buy this book

The deluded one returns

I think some translation is needed here. 'Controversial' - you mean loads of people thought it was rubbish! 'Denounced the book and called for the death of its author' - yeah, not because it was in any way daring or dangerous but because Morrissey was having his story retold by a really thick bloke who can't write! 'Did a u-turn and cited it' - it is not a 'u-turn' to mention the book. 'Widely acclaimed' - by who??? 'More insight and analysis' - where was this the first time around?!!

When it first came out I loved it - I found it a fascitnating insight.
I re-read it a couple of years ago however, and whilst the story is still often fascinating, the writing style is pretty hideous, and it's full of unsubstantiated speculation passing off as gospel truth.

There are some free e-books online (I mean, not the full transcript) but anyway, does anybody have a link to this book in particular?
:)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom