Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition) pre-order at Rough Trade shop (Oct 1, 2012)

Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 9

Default Article: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition) pre-order at Rough Trade shop (Oct 1, 2012)

Just spotted on Roughtrade.com

http://www.roughtrade.com/site/shop_...ku&sku=351088#

Cheers Moz

0 Not allowed!

We can only pray to God that their hunting guns backfire in their faces

Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

Default Re: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition)

Sounds juicy. I wonder how much new info/interviews are included in the updated version? Marr said he regretted speaking to Rogan the first time around; I wonder if he's contributed this time. Strange that a revision hasn't got wider Press, especially given all the attention to the new edition of Mozipedia etc.

0 Not allowed!

DAVIE

How many updates has this book had? jesus christ...

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

I wonder if there is a further 20 pages on the history of Ireland in this one.....

Interestingly, there is a big volume on the Smiths coming out by another author in the Autumn.......

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 1

Mozipedia is soo much better in every way, but I'm sure I'll be getting this one

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Default Re: Article: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition) pre-order at Rough Trade shop

is the book any good? i've had my doubt since the first time i heard about it on here years ago.

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

Default Re: Article: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition) pre-order at Rough Trade shop

Quote Originally Posted by 21punksalute View Post
    Mozipedia is soo much better in every way, but I'm sure I'll be getting this one
    It's a completely different book

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by 21punksalute View Post
    Well, it's maybe a bit unfair to compare a book published way back in 1992 before the internet, with the Mozipedia which came out in 2009. Even Simon acknowledged in his book that the Severed Alliance was "a bedrock foundation for every subsequent investigation into the group, this one included" and that nothing had "escaped the shadow of its influence". Len Brown said the same in the intro to his book. I don't know what an update would cover, but Rogan was the only person to attend the court case in its entirety so some of that might throw up some new info or revelations. Who knows?

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

I had a wonderful opportunity to buy *The Severed* in New York some years ago but did not. It is a heavy book and I tried to read the two first pages to have a glimpse of the whole thing but found it to be not much interesting. I did regret and thought I was stupid for missing the chance to have it for good. By the way, I found this one online: "Is It really So Strange?"
    http://2ndcannons.com/Jones_IsItStrng_cover.html
    http://2ndcannons.com/Jones_IsItStrng_introD.html
    http://2ndcannons.com/Jones_IsItStrng_12.html
    http://2ndcannons.com/Jones_IsItStrng_20.html
    http://2ndcannons.com/Jones_IsItStrng_22.html

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

Rogan is beneath contempt.

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

Default What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Well, it's maybe a bit unfair to compare a book published way back in 1992 before the internet, with the Mozipedia which came out in 2009. Even Simon acknowledged in his book that the Severed Alliance was "a bedrock foundation for every subsequent investigation into the group, this one included" and that nothing had "escaped the shadow of its influence". Len Brown said the same in the intro to his book. I don't know what an update would cover, but Rogan was the only person to attend the court case in its entirety so some of that might throw up some new info or revelations. Who knows?
    Are you the author touting for trade?
    Books on Morrissey are a waste of time if there are no family or friends as sources of information.
    I agree with the earlier poster ' Mozipedia'is the only book worth the money.
    James Maker said Severed was a book of lies and full of inaccurate information.

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

I am going to wear 2 black roses and a black pudding* in my boxers on stage at the M A gig (*Bury Black Pudding )

Don't buy this book

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

There have been several books on Morrissey and The Smiths released since this first came out - some of which tear shreds off Rogan. The debate has moved on. I wonder if he has taken this on board or if he's just pretending it didn't happen?

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

Typography on the cover is awful.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by applebuttaz View Post
    is the book any good? i've had my doubt since the first time i heard about it on here years ago.
    it is not good, it's FANTASTIC. Do yourself a favour and buy it, honestly. I loved every single page on that book. It starts slow, the first chapter is not very interesting but after that you just can't stop reading.
    I also recommend a book called "HOW SOON IS NEVER", it's a novel about two guys who want to reunite The Smiths. I had a fantastic time reading it, hightly recommended.

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Default Re: Article: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition) pre-order at Rough Trade shop (Oc

Heheh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I am going to wear 2 black roses and a black pudding* in my boxers on stage at the M A gig (*Bury Black Pudding )

Don't buy this book

0 Not allowed!
    There is no such thing in life as normal.

Anonymous

Default The deluded one returns

I think some translation is needed here. 'Controversial' - you mean loads of people thought it was rubbish! 'Denounced the book and called for the death of its author' - yeah, not because it was in any way daring or dangerous but because Morrissey was having his story retold by a really thick bloke who can't write! 'Did a u-turn and cited it' - it is not a 'u-turn' to mention the book. 'Widely acclaimed' - by who??? 'More insight and analysis' - where was this the first time around?!!

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

When it first came out I loved it - I found it a fascitnating insight.
    I re-read it a couple of years ago however, and whilst the story is still often fascinating, the writing style is pretty hideous, and it's full of unsubstantiated speculation passing off as gospel truth.

0 Not allowed!

Anonymous

There are some free e-books online (I mean, not the full transcript) but anyway, does anybody have a link to this book in particular?
    :-)

0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast