The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition) pre-order at Rough Trade shop (Oct 1, 2012)

Re: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition)

Sounds juicy. I wonder how much new info/interviews are included in the updated version? Marr said he regretted speaking to Rogan the first time around; I wonder if he's contributed this time. Strange that a revision hasn't got wider Press, especially given all the attention to the new edition of Mozipedia etc.

Re: Article: The Severed Alliance (Updated Edition) pre-order at Rough Trade shop (Oc

The thing is, people will come from all corners of the world to chest-beat about how awful a book or an album or a movie is

but in the end, every one of those people will eventually end up checking it out, be it for curiousity or for completist's sake, and that's when the author has won.

I guess this will include Morrissey who has admitted reading "the parts that I'm in" ie, the whole thing :lbf:

lol IKR, that was weird as hell.. but I suppose if one is doing a hagiography context matters and background history is needed to set the tone, regardless of whether it seems excessive. Were Morrissey and the other Smiths not first generation Irish immigrants, I'd agree it would be pointless.

Anyway, from the collapsing Morrissey bookshelf, The Severed Alliance always struck me as the best and most compulsively readable book and Rogan the best writer.

Cheerily picking up this earlier post is like putting a glace cherry on a pile of manure. Ignoring all the negative comments doesn't make them go away.

Clearly you don't know what 'hagiography' means - and in contrast to you I think it DOES matter if the background is excessive - though as far as I'm concerned every word of The Severed Alliance was excessive!

lol IKR, that was weird as hell.. but I suppose if one is doing a hagiography context matters and background history is needed to set the tone, regardless of whether it seems excessive. Were Morrissey and the other Smiths not first generation Irish immigrants, I'd agree it would be pointless.

Anyway, from the collapsing Morrissey bookshelf, The Severed Alliance always struck me as the best and most compulsively readable book and Rogan the best writer.

Let us not forget this is a man who thinks it makes him seem interesting to grow his fingernails long! (Remember the skin-crawlingly awful 'look at how weird and unconventional I am' pic at the back of Morrissey: The Albums?)

Clearly you don't know what 'hagiography' means

Oh really? please tell me oh enlightened condescending crap analogy one. I thought "an account of the series of events making up a person's life" certainly fit the bill, it didn't portray him as saint but then what would.

And what does ignoring negative comments have to do with anything? Are you for real? Where on earth did you get that idea from, you have a rather warped view of things. I don't care enough to go arguing with every comment I disagree with, people say whatever they like here anyway. I picked up on your point cause I thought it was an amusing observation which I also found myself.

But I (and others) in the comments liked Rogan's book and at the very least consider it a good read, regardless of how it portrayed its subject and possible untruths, it's up to you how you interpret it and take it with a pinch of a salt but there's no denying that it's interesting and readable regardless. Deal.

Oh really? please tell me oh enlightened condescending crap analogy one. I thought "an account of the series of events making up a person's life" certainly fit the bill, it didn't portray him as saint but then what would.

And what does ignoring negative comments have to do with anything? Are you for real? Where on earth did you get that idea from, you have a rather warped view of things. I don't care enough to go arguing with every comment I disagree with, people say whatever they like here anyway. I picked up on your point cause I thought it was an amusing observation which I also found myself.

But I (and others) in the comments liked Rogan's book and at the very least consider it a good read, regardless of how it portrayed its subject and possible untruths, it's up to you how you interpret it and take it with a pinch of a salt but there's no denying that it's interesting and readable regardless. Deal.

Hagiography carries a pejorative connotation - implying it's uncritical. So, actually, inadvertently, I think you were correct.

'Hagiography' is what half-educated people say when they mean 'biography' and want to sound clever. It is also half-educated people that think Rogan a good writer.

normal.jpg

Attachments

• normal.jpg
    normal.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 2

'Hagiography' is what half-educated people say when they mean 'biography' and want to sound clever. It is also half-educated people that think Rogan a good writer.

It's more convincing, though, than somebody trying to correct somebody else's English on a message board.

Oh LOL. Of course I had that in mind as one of the main Moz books but wasn't thinking about the title. Good one. So there's your official "HAGiography" there to f*** face pedant who considers people half educated for trying to use synonyms. Appropriate word really given all the sanctimonious dross it spews out.

Let us not forget this is a man who thinks it makes him seem interesting to grow his fingernails long! (Remember the skin-crawlingly awful 'look at how weird and unconventional I am' pic at the back of Morrissey: The Albums?)

lol - yeah I remember that! He lists all the things he doesn't have (fridge, DVD player, bank card, brain) in the hope that people will think weird = interesting. And doesn't he say something like he went to university and spent about 10 years on The Faerie Queene? - as if it were something to brag about? If you did that at my university, you would fail for being such a retard!

Oh LOL. Of course I had that in mind as one of the main Moz books but wasn't thinking about the title. Good one. So there's your official "HAGiography" there to f*** face pedant who considers people half educated for trying to use synonyms. Appropriate word really given all the sanctimonious dross it spews out.

Morrissey isn’t ACTUALLY a saint though, is he. So if the bio is referred to as ‘hagiography’ it carries a negative connotation - meaning uncritical or fawning (even Wikipedia will tell you this). It’s not using synonyms that makes you thick, it’s using them incorrectly.

It’s funny, on this site you can tell someone to f*** off and call them a thick twat, but if you point out there’s something wrong with their English - they throw a hissy fit. So, f***wit, you’re a thick twat.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom