Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: No More CDs after 2012?

  1. #1
    Senior Member lindsey1151's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    811
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 3

    Default No More CDs after 2012?


    0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    retarded Skylarker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5,362
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 8

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    Who really cares. It's been heading this way for a long time. I like physical CDs but I just burn all my digital stuff onto CD-Rs (which I'm sure will not stop being manufactured) so I can take them in the car. There's no other place I listen to actual CDs...at home I play everything through the computer, which runs into my stereo, and if I'm biking or walking I -like most people living in the 21st century- use an iPod.

    The sleeve and liner notes are nice, but how often am I gonna pour over them?

    Anyway, not to worry. Come 2021 or so, the CD Retro Revival should be due, and CDs will become the big fad again and will be praised for their "crystal clear sound" as compared to vinyl's crackles and pops, not to mention the convenience of the portability/easy storage aspect.

    Just like the first time around.

    Some hipster douchewad band will release their new album on CD, and it will sell, and then ALL the hipster douchewad bands will start doing it, and the record companies will push CDs like never before, and a whole bunch of classic albums will be reissued on CD, and countless groups will put their whole entire back catalogs out on CD, so you can buy them all over again.

    Watch and see.

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Anonymous
    Guest

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by lindsey1151 View Post
    A few months back some industry magazine reported that tv as we know it will also disappear in just a few years to be replaced by other solutions as more and more people watch through on demand anyway. In some countries the old tv announcers have been sacked and replaced by voice overs presenting the shows. The old ways of airing tv shows and having live shows from studios can all of a sudden be a thing of the past.

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    DAVIE
    Guest

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    A few months back some industry magazine reported that tv as we know it will also disappear in just a few years to be replaced by other solutions as more and more people watch through on demand anyway. In some countries the old tv announcers have been sacked and replaced by voice overs presenting the shows. The old ways of airing tv shows and having live shows from studios can all of a sudden be a thing of the past.
    I doubt TV will disappear. Give it another 80 years, then maybe it will slowly fade out. But I really doubt it......I'd give CDs maybe 30-40 years left.

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Morrissey Lover Tibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Passenger Seat
    Posts
    377
    Blog Entries
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    I really would be sad if cd`s went away.I really like having the sleeve art.I have an ipod too and I think they are great.I also collect vinyl.I like having the physical product in my hands.I stll have a stereo complete with cd payer a tape deck and a record player.A chain music store that we had here just closed.All now we have left is the giant chain stores that only carry the most popular crap.I`m so sad to see record stores go by the wayside.

    0 Not allowed!
    Accept Me As I Am- Completely Unacceptable

    ~MORRISSEY~

  6. #6
    DAVIE
    Guest

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tibby View Post
    I really would be sad if cd`s went away.I really like having the sleeve art.I have an ipod too and I think they are great.I also collect vinyl.I like having the physical product in my hands.I stll have a stereo complete with cd payer a tape deck and a record player.A chain music store that we had here just closed.All now we have left is the giant chain stores that only carry the most popular crap.I`m so sad to see record stores go by the wayside.
    I know...it'll be weird when we end up without any physical products for music and tv in the future.

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Dave Jay dave.jay1@ntlworld.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    BirkenVegas, UK
    Posts
    1,100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    ...Back in 1985/86, I went to a very popular Indie record store in Liverpool ( "Probe"), with my Holiday pay from my factory job.....I had just bought a CD player, and had money to burn....The Owner told me that she thought Cd's would just be a fad, and she had no intention of stocking them regularly.. ( but they had a small display of a few Cds on their wall...One of them was "Meat is murder", and the price was 19.99). So, I went to another shop that had started stocking/selling more Cds, and spent about 250.00 there on new stuff, and replacing old, much-loved albums...I also went back to Probe, and informed the manager of what I had done...she then offered me the "Meat is murder" cd for 10.00.....I told her I had already bought it cheaper at the other shop.... What constantly baffles me nowadays is this:- the Big stores ( The ONLY stores within 5 -6 miles of me) are staffed by surly teens, who are more interested in ignoring customers, and the "Stock" is mainly T-shirts, and Video games and posters ( the actual MUSIC section is small, compared to the DVD/books selection...). The staff, in my experience, have absolutely NO interest in any enquiries I may have regarding a new release by a band or artist I may want to buy. I don't know if Cds will go the way of vinyl or cassettes in the long run, But I also love the "Feel" of a REAL record, and browsing the liner/sleeve notes included. I have also, for the past 2 days, been trying to "Upload" some Cds onto my computer, so that I can then transfer them to a friends new iphone thing....I haven't got a frigging clue what i am doing, and it has all been very un -successful in getting the albums onto the bloody phone so far... I suppose i should LOVE all this new fangled technology (...I used to take about 60 cassettes a night into work with me, to play on a walkman...not that I HAD that much time spare, but, I liked a change sometimes...best be prepared, eh ??/!!) And the idea of having all that music available on such a small piece of tech is awesome ( Not to mention convenient!!. I too remember Re-winding back cassettes with a pen, to save battery power...)..But I just wish I could go to a shop, and BUY an album that I really like these days.....( either on CD OR Vinyl..)get it home, pull it out of its sleeve, and take the time to LISTEN to it...I have NO IDEA how to order/download stuff from itunes/amazon/etc...I have missed a few" releases" by some favourite artists because of this, which I would have happily taken a bus to the nearest store to actually Physically purchase.But, I somehow feel that what few remaining record stores there are are not helping themselves by employing half-wits who just wanna get their wages and then go and party.....sorry about the "Rant"....hope it was of some interest to someone....

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by dave.jay1@ntlworld.com; April 27, 2012 at 06:08 PM.

  8. #8
    Boychild mustn't tremble! cornelius blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    MONTAGUE TERRACE (in blue)
    Posts
    3,130
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 0

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?


    0 Not allowed!


    Archangel risin' on the moon
    Just to save me from this tomb
    I'll cry the tears of time all day
    'Til she wipes them all away

  9. #9
    Dave Jay dave.jay1@ntlworld.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    BirkenVegas, UK
    Posts
    1,100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    ...If this was facebook Cornelius, I would click "Like" for that.....

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Senior Member peptastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    351
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    It'll be harder to get [legal] music if the licensing isn't place for what country you live in.
    I just ordered some cds from Germany. The deluxe and one album S.T.O.P which was only available to order in the UK or Germany and the new Peter Heppner. His 2008 album was never released over here.
    If they stop making cds we can't just get all the mp3s we want but ordering online from ebay, discogs, etc. was always an option.

    0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,253
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    Vinyl is reviving and will I think survive, as the format of choice for those who prefer a physical medium. CDs don't stand a chance - they just don't offer anything that isn't done better by MP3s/streaming in combination with vinyl.

    For me, Spotify has been revolutionary. Since I signed a gold membership about a year ago (it costs about ten quid a month), I haven't bought a single CD. I am not even certain that I've played one, other than in the car. They're simply redundant. With a proper membership, Spotify lets you play from your mobile phone, your ipad, your computer or from WLAN radio. You can also play songs offline, so you're not even dependent on an internet connection. I can't imagine a single reason why I'd prefer CDs instead. If it's a question of cover art and so on, vinyl is so much better. Collecting vinyl and subscribing to a good streaming service is the ideal combination in my opinion, the way things are now.

    0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Senior Member lindsey1151's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    811
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 3

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Qvist View Post
    Vinyl is reviving and will I think survive, as the format of choice for those who prefer a physical medium. CDs don't stand a chance - they just don't offer anything that isn't done better by MP3s/streaming in combination with vinyl.

    For me, Spotify has been revolutionary. Since I signed a gold membership about a year ago (it costs about ten quid a month), I haven't bought a single CD. I am not even certain that I've played one, other than in the car. They're simply redundant. With a proper membership, Spotify lets you play from your mobile phone, your ipad, your computer or from WLAN radio. You can also play songs offline, so you're not even dependent on an internet connection. I can't imagine a single reason why I'd prefer CDs instead. If it's a question of cover art and so on, vinyl is so much better. Collecting vinyl and subscribing to a good streaming service is the ideal combination in my opinion, the way things are now.
    You cant play vinyls in the car!

    0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    DAVIE
    Guest

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by lindsey1151 View Post
    You cant play vinyls in the car!
    my thoughts exactly.

    0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Senior Member lindsey1151's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    811
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 3

    0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Creative Adult MozAngeles818's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Moz Angeles
    Posts
    329
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Default Re: No More CDs after 2012?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarker View Post
    Who really cares. It's been heading this way for a long time. I like physical CDs but I just burn all my digital stuff onto CD-Rs (which I'm sure will not stop being manufactured) so I can take them in the car. There's no other place I listen to actual CDs...at home I play everything through the computer, which runs into my stereo, and if I'm biking or walking I -like most people living in the 21st century- use an iPod.

    The sleeve and liner notes are nice, but how often am I gonna pour over them?

    Anyway, not to worry. Come 2021 or so, the CD Retro Revival should be due, and CDs will become the big fad again and will be praised for their "crystal clear sound" as compared to vinyl's crackles and pops, not to mention the convenience of the portability/easy storage aspect.

    Just like the first time around.

    Some hipster douchewad band will release their new album on CD, and it will sell, and then ALL the hipster douchewad bands will start doing it, and the record companies will push CDs like never before, and a whole bunch of classic albums will be reissued on CD, and countless groups will put their whole entire back catalogs out on CD, so you can buy them all over again.

    Watch and see.
    Beautiful post with beautiful truth to it.
    In all reality, that's really what is most likely going to happen.
    It happened to vinyl, so why not CDs?

    After all, regardless if labels decide to pull CDs, the value of anything you have will only go up in price(really depending on what you have)
    I'm a fan of CDs and records, but seeing CDs go will just make me rethink about buying an album I don't have on CD format.

    I just see it as a start of new collection of sorts.

    0 Not allowed!

Similar Threads

  1. Musicians Moving In New Directions - no more CD's? (Alan Wilder of Recoil/D-Mode)
    By The Seeker of Good Songs in forum Other Music archive (read-only)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 26, 2008, 01:43 AM
  2. After today, Mr. Proper will be bangin' my baboon bum's bunghole no more....
    By wally the Baboon in forum Off-topic archive 2006 (read-only)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 30, 2006, 03:15 PM
  3. After today, Mr. Proper will be bangin' my baboon bum's bunghole no more....
    By wally the Baboon in forum General Discussion archive 2006 (read-only)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 30, 2006, 03:15 PM
  4. No more country vs. country... OK?
    By MOZ IS GOD in forum General Discussion archive 2001 (read-only)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 17, 2001, 01:16 AM
  5. all right, no more name stealing, but as for cili
    By IMPOSTER in forum General Discussion archive 2000 (read-only)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 28, 2000, 03:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •