"To Give" - new cover song live

The band drown out Morrissey's vocals somewhat; to see if he can do it justice, he needs to do a studio recording with a orchestra if he really wants to even touch the stage of the crooners of this world. Unfortunately he doesn't have the voice.

He should of listen to Johnny's record collection more.

johnny-marr-scott-walker-30-century-man-production-20345.jpg

Perfect. I love the way his voice breaks when he switches registers, or I guess it's called octaves in singing. I love it. (Better than Frankie Valli. :o)

Better than frankie valli you say, what a surprise. You'd say a cover of the birdie song sang through a megaphone was the greatest song ever performed if moz did it!

Morrissey should definitely record with an orchestra. The only track where I think he uses a real orchestra is 'Never Played Symphonies'. His voice sits beautifully with real instruments (as opposed to a Bontempi electric keyboard which appears to be the instrument of choice when strings are required).

The only track where I think he uses a real orchestra is 'Never Played Symphonies'.

"Dear God, Please Help Me", "Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together", "Everyday Is Like Sunday", "Will Never Marry", "Hairdresser On Fire", and "Interlude" beg to differ.

"The Never-Played Symphonies" doesn't feature a real orchestra.

His voice sounds fine on this; it's just that the band is so paint-by-numbers. He really needs some finesse out of his band, but I'm not sure they can deliver.

Morrissey is in a bind: he wants to have a rockier, looser NY Dolls feel to his shows, yet he loves songs such as this where the power and impact is neutered by the big rock sound. Even when he does slower numbers, these days there always ends up being a loud guitar or drum part - there's no contrast or relenting. I found the show I saw last winter incredibly disappointing for this reason.

It sounded like Jesse was going to start playing the Hendrix version of the Star-Spangled Banner at the outset. He really has one of the most awful guitar tones I've ever heard. All bite and no sweetness on the Morrissey songs, too much treble on the Smiths songs. Yes,yes he's here for good, blah blah blah, but I'm going to reserve my right to bitch about it until Morrissey is finished. Reasonable chops, wholly average songwriter, totally wrong fit for Morrissey. Same as it ever was.

Although I really liked "To Give", your characterization of Jesse's guitar playing/the whole "loudness wars" is sadly, spot-on.

I've decided it's now come to this - I have to go into bat for Jesse because, and there's no other reason, I just don't think his guitar playing is that bad at all. I suspect so much of what is disliked about the contemporary Moz sound has more to do with the festival/live/broadcast engineers than Tobias' style. An example of this might be the 12-7-11 Mexico broadcast. If I listen to "IWTOICH" for this bootleg, I agree the lead guitar is mixed more prominently than usual but I don't think that necessarily implies Jesse lacks finesse.

On a more personal note , I much prefer the albums/concerts where the guitars are mixed at least as loud as Morrissey's voice because I find that element of robustness (?) contrasts well with the occasionally overly-fey lyrics...

Just to rabbit on , I'd love to hear the whole soundboard-version of that Mexican concert. Sadly, the radio station concerned only bothered playing half-a-dozen or so. Still, better that than a kick in the face...

Last edited:
I've decided it's now come to this - I have to go into bat for Jesse because, and there's no other reason, I just don't think his guitar playing is that bad at all. I suspect so much of what is disliked about the contemporary Moz sound has more to do with the festival/live/broadcast engineers than Tobias' style. An example of this might be the 12-7-11 Mexico broadcast. If I listen to "IWTOICH" for this bootleg, I agree the lead guitar is mixed more prominently than usual but I don't think that necessarily implies Jesse lacks finesse.

I'm not calling out the volume so much as the "ugly" distortion tone Jesse employs. It seems particularly noticeable on Alain's song, purely because Alain tended (and tends) to use a "brighter" sound, even when playing with distortion. I'm no technical maven, but I suspect part of it may have to do with the different guitars they use. That said, overall, tone/sound is unique to each guitarist whatever equipment they use. I just rather dislike Jesse's. I might change my opinion if Morrissey did any of his material (if it exists) that is less prone to the "sturm and drang" of his recorded output so far.

Band/guitars aside, I saw Morrissey live in 1997 and 2000 and the mix was definitely more balanced (i.e., there was less tendency for Morrissey's voice to be drowned out in the overall sound) than it has been in recent years. I was up front at the Aragon in 2009 and upstairs at the Auditorium in December - and there wasn't much audible difference/improvement in the mix.

"Dear God, Please Help Me", "Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together", "Everyday Is Like Sunday", "Will Never Marry", "Hairdresser On Fire", and "Interlude" beg to differ.

"The Never-Played Symphonies" doesn't feature a real orchestra.

Neither does "Everyday Is Like Sunday" - but I think you're right about the others.

to give video

has anyone got the video of this song yet can't wait to see it many thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom