What is your favorite Morrissey album?

Your Arsenal.

tumblr_lkq07chiJZ1qfxs46o1_400.gif

ME TOO!

They are all my favorite too, but as for top of the list it's a toss up between Viva Hate and Vauxhall as both of those albums got me through some pretty dark times. I am indebted to them for keeping me calm when I could've given up.

I can't choose between Vauxhall and Ringleader.
Erm,but I think it's Vauxhall.

Southpaw took an immediate walk with me to a second-hand shop...I sold it for the price of 2 pints of ale....Money well spent....I thought it was an AWFUL album....

..I must admit Lindsey, if I ever see it again cheap somewhere, I'll probably pick it up again, and give it another listen...but I absolutely Detested it at the time.....

You should really give it a try, Southpaw is a fantastic album. My favourite actually, along with Vauxhall and Swords.

Southpaw Grammar for me. Such a hard hitting album from start to finish. Dagenham Dave, Boy Racer, Honey You Know Where to Find Me...bee's knees. I love the characters he brings to life in that album aswell as his own personal experiences.

My first Morrissey album was "Vauxhall" on cassette tape when I was 12. It was my favourite for many, many years... until I heard "Your Arsenal". Then I heard the re-release of "Maladjusted". Then the re-release of "Southpaw Grammar".

Frankly, it's a tie between all four. They are almost always on heavy rotation.

Wow , I can't believe how many people are professing their love for "Southpaw Grammar". I always, somehow, had the idea that just about everyone who was a Moz fan loathed it.

"Southpaw Grammar" ahead of "Your Arsenal" by a smallish margin...

Vauxhall and I and Maladjusted

Southpaw took an immediate walk with me to a second-hand shop...I sold it for the price of 2 pints of ale....Money well spent....I thought it was an AWFUL album....

:lbf: Indeed it is. I don't think I've listened to it more than once.

..I must admit Lindsey, if I ever see it again cheap somewhere, I'll probably pick it up again, and give it another listen...but I absolutely Detested it at the time.....

Don't mean to stir the pot but what was it that repelled you at the time about "Southpaw" ? It's strange ; I had a response to it on first listening that was the antithesis of yours. Those gloomy incessant strings , those ominous electrical howls - I remember thinking " ...wow, he's not mucking around ..." .

the original version of Viva Hate because all the songs intertwine so well that it presents a complete picture. It may not be Morrissey's actual autobiography but it seems to me to be a complete work and within the story of moving away and having feelings for people that don't know, he does tell a lot of his story and we get a strong feel of who he is. That's my feeling of it. He has other collections of songs that are hard to put in second place but I think Viva Hate was the most important records he's done, comparable to the things Lennon did right after leaving the Beatles in establishing a unique and strong identity. "Angel, down we go together" and "Late Night, Maudlin Street" are Like Morrissey's "Mother" and "Working Class Hero" in terms of significance to their careers and the times.

Back
Top Bottom