The Smiths @ the Hacienda, 04 / 02 /1983 - 3rd gig on youtube

Erik

Subscriber
Forgive me for missing this, but when the hell did this gig's video footage get released???!!! I just randomly happened upon it and thought it was the June or July gig,
but then I realized this was the same as the audio version from "The Butterfly Collector" THIS IS THE EARLIEST VIDEO OF THE SMITHS. Only together for a few months!!!
I've been on this board every day since 1996 - how did I miss this??

The footage is wonderful; a rare find indeed. He looks a little awkward on stage, but quietly confident... he hadn't really become "Morrissey" yet.
Great to see Johnny doing backing vocals too - why weren't they kept in for the albums!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cgTq5Gr0x0

The footage is wonderful; a rare find indeed. He looks a little awkward on stage, but quietly confident... he hadn't really become "Morrissey" yet.
Great to see Johnny doing backing vocals too - why weren't they kept in for the albums!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cgTq5Gr0x0

Always love the coy smile that he gives Johnny at around 1:25 in this vid :)

There never need be longing in your eyes.

Last edited:
Always love the coy smile that he gives Johnny at around 1:25 in this vid :)

There never need be longing in your eyes.

Are you stalking me? :p I've just posted the exact same comment on Facebook. Eerie! But yes that shy little smile is lovely - a quick glance over and then a flush of embarrassment. "...Longing in your eyes", indeed!

Are you stalking me? :p I've just posted the exact same comment on Facebook. Eerie! But yes that shy little smile is lovely - a quick glance over and then a flush of embarrassment. "...Longing in your eyes", indeed!

:)
It just always warms my heart to watch the vids from this show. I can't even imagine what being at this gig would've been like - granted, next to no one knew them at the time compared to their legacy now. But, to know what we all know now and to travel back in time to be at this gig - it'd be a pretty mindblowing experience to witness.

Forgive me for missing this, but when the hell did this gig's video footage get released???!!!

It's never been released. A professional recording of the show was in the hands of a few lucky people until a few years ago when someone leaked it. Some people would have liked this to be released but Morrissey would likely never agree to it. He'd understandably want to put out a show where the band is at the top of their game, rather than their third show. It's fantastic archive footage for us, but there's a general reluctance from M&M to release anything less than the band's absolute best. That's the reason why we haven't had those album reissues with bonus outtakes and demos yet.

Stephane

Is there any bootleg copies of unreleased versions of "Is it really so strange" "Rubber ring" "Sheila take a bow with sitar. etc.

My friend and I were talking about how long mastering on record takes; it takes long enough, let alone, eight!

"The amazing thing is that I ended up doing a lot of different versions of songs that I had no idea existed. Lots of instrumental backing tracks. Which was fantastic. Unfortunately this stuff can't come out and it's frustrating because it's nothing to do with me. So I feel that people are being deprived somewhat there... I believe a lot of stuff came out on bootlegs, very mysterious, I'm not even going to go there."

This is great find Have seen the other 2 Hacienda gigs from 1983 but never this one
Well that's Saturday night sorted whilst daughter watches The Voice / Britain Got Talent

The footage of this early gig is great indeed.
It hasn't just surfaced though, it's been available as a dvd download on smithstorrents for ages.

A Song To Be Cremated With indeed, I'm not even listening to the whole thing yet, given what the original meant to me, but great find.

Last edited:
It's never been released. A professional recording of the show was in the hands of a few lucky people until a few years ago when someone leaked it. Some people would have liked this to be released but Morrissey would likely never agree to it. He'd understandably want to put out a show where the band is at the top of their game, rather than their third show. It's fantastic archive footage for us, but there's a general reluctance from M&M to release anything less than the band's absolute best. That's the reason why we haven't had those album reissues with bonus outtakes and demos yet.

Stephane

I believe that most if not all concerts at the Hacienda were recorded by Factory Records' in-house company IKON.

Back
Top Bottom