Smiths event in Manchester this Thursday (Apr. 12)

To complement the exhibition The Gospel According To (Part 1), which explores connections between The Smiths and the work of major contemporary European artists which is on at the Manchester Cornerhouse this week there will be a panel discussion.

Tickets are £5.50 or £4.50 for concessions and are available from here…http://tickets.cornerhouse.org/peo/auto_choose_ga.asp?area=41

The panel will be this Thursday and takes us back, via contemporary art practice, to the Manchester of the early 1980s and the emergence of the legendary group The Smiths. There will be lots of talk about the Smiths from the art background of the band and also from the indie as their first drummer Si Wolstencroft will be on the panel as well as Declan Clarke, a lifelong Smiths fan, Declan will contribute to the panel discussing their influence on contemporary art and the intersection of cultural memory and socio-political history.

Looking in retrospect to a 1980’s Manchester as inhabited by The Smiths, the panel will explore the social and cultural politics of the time and discuss how this affected the formation of the band and the music produced, which went on to have global resonance.

The panel includes:
Musician Si Wolstencroft.

Si was the drummer in The Patrol, the band that predated The Stone Roses and featured Ian Brown and John Squire. He also played with Brown and Squire during the sound check for the recent Justice Tonight appearance at Manchester Ritz. Si was the first drummer in The Smiths and then spent the following ten years in The Fall before linking back with Ian Brown for some of his solo tracks. He is currently working on his first book You Can Drum But You Can’t Hide, which is set to be released this summer.
Contemporary visual artist Declan Clarke.

Declan was educated in N.C.A.D. Dublin, and Chelsea College of Art London. In 2000 he was one of the recipients of the Saatchi Fellowship at Chelsea College of Art and Design. In 2002 he represented Ireland on the International Studio Programme at PS1 MOMA, New York. He has exhibited widely in Europe and America, He lives and works in Berlin. A lifelong Smiths fan, Declan will contribute to the panel discussing their influence on contemporary art and the intersection of cultural memory and socio-political history.

Curator Jane Anderson.

Jane is currently the Creative Director at CUBE Gallery and curated the exhibition The Gospel According To… (part 1), which is currently showing at The Holden Gallery. Jane worked with the Design Museum to bring ‘Alan Fletcher: 50 years of graphic work and Play’ to CUBE (2010).

The panel will be chaired by Musician John Robb

http://www.cornerhouse.org/art/art-events/panel-discussion-the-gospel-according-to-part-2

Last edited by a moderator:
hahahhahahahaha John Robb's involved. You can't keep him away from anything in Manchester, he'd turn up to an elevator opening if he could mention he was at that Sex Pistols gig during the ceremony.

hahahhahahahaha John Robb's involved. You can't keep him away from anything in Manchester, he'd turn up to an elevator opening if he could mention he was at that Sex Pistols gig during the ceremony.

A couple of years ago, I stupidly bought his book about The Stone Roses. It was an impulse-buy and it's probably the worst book I've ever read. I remember nothing of the narrative and the only thing that stayed with me afterwards was the anger. Sheer dogged determination couldn't get me to the end of it. I persevered as far as I was able but couldn't quite do it. It remains on my bookshelf, though, with 50 unread pages waiting for me. I feel uneasy when I see it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom