"Viva Hate" reissue - Uncut review (8/10), Andrew McGibbon Revelations

Great read, if a bit sad. Thanks for posting it. Quite strange that they list "Hairdresser on Fire" as being on the disc, as that was only on the USA version of the original album, and to my knowledge is not on the Remastered version at all.

By the way, that would indeed be awesome if Michael Winterbottom were to ever make a Morrissey Biopic. I loved "24 Hr Party People"!
:thumb:

Last edited:
jsewya.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This all rings very true. Especially interesting to be reminded of the environment of its release. How on earth did he thrive in '88 with all that was going on then?

... i have a feeling he tinkered with the track-listing for the very reason that it gets us to read all these reviews... I still feel it was a slap in the face to the record company ~

That final paragraph is absolutely spot-on. Moz is the George Lucas of the music world.

The ordinary boys , one of the weakest tracks ?? No Way !!
I'd pass on ''Bengali'' , "Angel", Margret" even "I don't mind "
before I would on that song -terrific lyrics ,great music
this move and the past shows, w` boz in drag and the boys in nothing but ..practically nothing
I fear our man may be losing it... but ill be first in line for tkts ! NY/NJ

The ordinary boys , one of the weakest tracks ?? No Way !!
I'd pass on ''Bengali'' , "Angel", Margret" even "I don't mind "
before I would on that song -terrific lyrics ,great music
this move and the past shows, w` boz in drag and the boys in nothing but ..practically nothing
I fear our man may be losing it... but ill be first in line for tkts ! NY/NJ

I agree, Ordinary Boys is on the slight side, but has its real charms

That final paragraph is absolutely spot-on. Moz is the George Lucas of the music world.

Yet the one album that does need revising, "Kill Uncle", has yet to get the make-over treatment it needs. "The Loop", "I've Changed My Plea.." the KROQ versions of "Sling Your Wife" and "There Is A Place..", hell even "Born To Hang" and the half finished title track will probably end up on the new version.

The sleeve photo will probably be replaced by the football picture with the now uniform new typeface for His Master's name and album title.

Yet the one album that does need revising, "Kill Uncle", has yet to get the make-over treatment it needs. "The Loop", "I've Changed My Plea.." the KROQ versions of "Sling Your Wife" and "There Is A Place..", hell even "Born To Hang" and the half finished title track will probably end up on the new version.

The sleeve photo will probably be replaced by the football picture with the now uniform new typeface for His Master's name and album title.

Sounds like a plan Grandma... but it would still only be 37 mins long :)

What is the football picture?

Dave

What a dire magazine Uncut is, always droning on about the editor's love for shit americana and declaring the turgid Elbow to be the best band ever. No one likes Hammell On Trial. No one.

Oh, and Suedehead was released in 1988. Don't they even know that? Probably too busy trying to find a way to promote Kevin Tehista records to the bozos who continue to buy this sad rag, than checking trivial things, like facts.

ROFL at Uncut critic calling LMWN one of the best tracks on VH and then labeling Ordinary Boys one of the worst

FAIL.

Also, one can only wonder what the hell His Mozness was thinking with these horrid tracklisting changes. At least he had the sense to upgrade and improve that horridly outdated album font, but not one fan or critic has responded favorably in any way to LNMS's editing or the inclusion of TMLAHB over TOB

FAIL.

bought viva hate and its awesome,is there anything moz isnt good at : ) so what if he changed the track listing,surely its his choice,who are we to argue with the legend that is morrissey.

bought viva hate and its awesome,is there anything moz isnt good at : ) so what if he changed the track listing,surely its his choice,who are we to argue with the legend that is morrissey.

I guess one really IS born every minute.

At least he had the sense to upgrade and improve that horridly outdated album font

The original version was a classic font, simple and tasteful the way nearly all of his font choices have been. It's not as if the 1988 cover had a 1970s Pepsi-can font. Also, I'm not sure the use of Old English lettering constitutes an update, really, although I admit it would probably look pretty cool as a prison-yard tattoo. :)

The original version was a classic font, simple and tasteful the way nearly all of his font choices have been. It's not as if the 1988 cover had a 1970s Pepsi-can font. Also, I'm not sure the use of Old English lettering constitutes an update, really, although I admit it would probably look pretty cool as a prison-yard tattoo. :)

I agree! I thought the original font was so classy and elegant, what with the quotation marks around the title and all. I personally hate the Old English font on both the VH and the Bona Drag Reissues. IMO, It's tacky and not very easy to read, especially on the VH .

I have always loved "Ordinary Boys" : the song is dreamy and he sings it so well. It's hard to understand why it was edited out of the tracklisting.

I like it though 2 extra songs would make it better, sister I'm a poet and pregnant for the last time

Southpaw was the one I had a long time getting into it....ROTT till today is the most least likable but
there are 4 good songs on, which I'd hate Morrissey never released,I mean a bonus to his solo work

Most of you don't like it cause it was the time he went on tour for the first time, and played Kill Uncle
songs, one could hear a needle fall, asian rut live was great, Mute Witness great, anyway that in mind
I could never dislike it, plus there are good songs it, the last 2, plus our frank, sing your life, plus the ones mentioned in his tour

I personally only agree in remaster because of the sound quality ,not change it.

out!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom