My Morrissey Tattoo

I think a common misconception about people with tattoos is that we get them for the attention. I know that this probably is true in some extreme cases, but mostly I think that people get tattooed for themselves and their own personal reasons. Do you put on your shirt in the morning hoping that someone will comment on it? Tattoos are personal and should be taken at face value. Yes, I have someone's face on my arm and who it might be is none of your f***ing business, purely for the reason that I did not get it for you. Get it?

I don't find anything wrong with your comments in this thread. She put this thread on solo for the purpose of discussion, I imagine. Having a discussion about your tattoos on the internet and having to explain them to gawking strangers are two completely different things. I don't blame people for their curiosity, but it gets annoying after the first hundred or so times.

I get what you're saying and your arguments are well stated, but remember, a tattoo -like a T-shirt or a bumper sticker, except in a much more permanent, personal way- are decidedly external emblazonings of the symbols of your feelings, experiences, tastes, aspects of your personal life, etc. That they are external and and are, in fact, sometimes much easier for other people to see than for you to see yourself, (except maybe in the mirror) begs a dependency on the recognition by others -oftentimes strangers- of those symbols.

I have no doubt that many people get tattoos for very significant, personal reasons and that many people with tattoos find generic flash art insulting and disgusting. I am in no way contesting the notion of unique, personal relevance in many people's tattoos. All I'm saying is that it is a little hard to buy the "well it's my tattoo so f*** off and mind your own business" aspect when, as just stated, the basic foundational definition of a tattoo is that it is an image (to be seen) and that although personal in nature, it is external (on the outside of the person)...

My girlfriend has a huge blue panther, or a puma or some shit, tattooed across the side of her scalp. She got it when she was 18 and it means something to her (I guess) and it used to be very visible because she shaved her head a lot. Even though she is old now (early 30s, which is old for a girl), whenever she shaves her head for a cancer benefit, there it is again...a big-ass blue cat, right on her head. She has never implied regret for getting it done (she has many others as well) but she always expresses annoyance whenever some moron accosts her and is like, "dayam, didn't that HURT?..."

She is always polite and patient when she answers them "yes," but then when she bitches to me personally about it, my answer is always the same:

"Well, you did get a f***ing blue cat tattooed on your f***ing head. Deal with it."

Last edited by a moderator:
I get what you're saying and your arguments are well stated, but remember, a tattoo -like a T-shirt or a bumper sticker, except in a much more permanent, personal way- are decidedly external emblazonings of the symbols of your feelings, experiences, tastes, aspects of your personal life, etc. That they are external and and are, in fact, sometimes much easier for other people to see than for you to see yourself, (except maybe in the mirror) begs a dependency on the recognition by others -oftentimes strangers- of those symbols.

I have no doubt that many people get tattoos for very significant, personal reasons and that many people with tattoos find generic flash art insulting and disgusting. I am in no way contesting the notion of unique, personal relevance in many people's tattoos. All I'm saying is that it is a little hard to buy the "well it's my tattoo so f*** off and mind your own business" aspect when, as just stated, the basic foundational definition of a tattoo is that it is an image (to be seen) and that although personal in nature, it is external (on the outside of the person)...

My girlfriend has a huge blue panther, or a puma or some shit, tattooed across the side of her scalp. She got it when she was 18 and it means something to her (I guess) used to be very visible because she shaved her head a lot. Even though she is old now (early 30s, which is old for a girl), whenever she shaves her head for a cancer benefit, there it is again..a big-ass blue cat, right on her head. She has never implied regret for getting it done (she has many others as well) but she always expresses annoyance whenever some moron accosts her and is like, "dayam, didn't that HURT?..."

She is always polite and patient when she answers them "yes," but then when she bitches to me personally about it, my answer is always the same:

"Well, you did get a f***ing blue cat tattooed on your f***ing head. Deal with it."

Touché.

I think I love you.

af51ee322e516151_tattoo_fail.jpg

Reeses-tattoo.jpg

%C3%A9vitez+les+tatouages.jpg

This is one actually kind of impressive as far as realism in a tat goes.

090821+Golden+Girls+Tattoo.jpg

Well, it's not my fault you did something retarded like getting married. Score 1 for the expectations of society and your parents.

This is one actually kind of impressive as far as realism in a tat goes.

090821+Golden+Girls+Tattoo.jpg

Golden Girls is so gross; I never understood the appeal of that show or how it was supposedly funny. You had a dried-up old slut (read "frisky"), a moron (read "fun-loving"), a dyke (read "strong"), and a bitter (read "sassy") old bitch.

Yeah...I'll tune right in for that one.

Elderly women are horrifying in every way. The show was a hit with women for whom the concept of living past 50 at all was, in itself, considered some kind of miraculous achievement or victory. Typical broads...patting themselves on the back just for being alive. I'd like to see them change a tire!

But to each his own, I guess.

Golden Girls is so gross; I never understood the appeal of that show or how it was supposedly funny. You had a dried-up old slut (read "frisky"), a moron (read "fun-loving"), a dyke (read "strong"), and a bitter (read "sassy") old bitch.

Elderly women are horrifying in every way. The show was a hit with women for whom the concept of living past 50 at all was, in itself, considered some kind of miraculous achievement or victory. Typical broads...patting themselves on the back just for being alive. I'd like to see them change a tire!

Don't f*** with the Golden Girls.

My grandmother used to watch this show a lot when I was a kid.
Blanche's face used to scare the bejesus out of me.

if you don't get tattoos why would you be in this forum poking at people who do...? ah, the internet has bred so many brave souls

Oh dear, here we go again.
Every time someone starts a thread about getting a tattoo that pertains to Moz, or posts a picture of their tat, out come the geezers and the hypocrites ready to tell you how stupid you are for doing something so 'drastic and permanent', and offering their analogies. These people of course have no tattoos, but probably have their ears pierced multiple times. So I ask? Whats the difference? A tattoo will draw just as much attention as pierced ears right?
And what is this absolute nonsense about those who get tattooed, (one of Morrissey or any other) are begging for recognition by others? That they are trying to draw attention to themselves? Or my favorite, 'the basic foundational definition of a tattoo is that it is an image to be seen'. Bollocks! You are wrong. I know many, many people who have a tattoo, or a few, that are placed on their bodies where only that persons intimate partner may ever see it. Like on the thigh. I know a guy who has a beautiful tribal tattoo done by his Maori brothers that is way up on his thigh. It is extremely important to him, and no one else even knows its there. So stop with the generalizations.
As far as our friend who got the 'will never marry' tattoo, why do you feel it necessary to try and decipher her motivation? She just explained it to you moron! "Is a tattoo really going to make you feel better"?....What the f*** do you care? Maybe it did. It most likely did. So leave her alone. Leave it alone.
And for the jackass who wrote, 'why couldn't you get your nails done or sleep with a high school student'? Because she wanted a tattoo, that's why genius.
Either get a tattoo so you know what the hell you are talking about, or start your own thread about how you just got your ears pierced so we can all tell you how stupid you are for doing it, and bombard you with moronic suggestions.

Oh dear, here we go again.
Every time someone starts a thread about getting a tattoo that pertains to Moz, or posts a picture of their tat, out come the geezers and the hypocrites ready to tell you how stupid you are for doing something so 'drastic and permanent', and offering their analogies. These people of course have no tattoos, but probably have their ears pierced multiple times. So I ask? Whats the difference? A tattoo will draw just as much attention as pierced ears right?
And what is this absolute nonsense about those who get tattooed, (one of Morrissey or any other) are begging for recognition by others? That they are trying to draw attention to themselves? Or my favorite, 'the basic foundational definition of a tattoo is that it is an image to be seen'. Bollocks! You are wrong. I know many, many people who have a tattoo, or a few, that are placed on their bodies where only that persons intimate partner may ever see it. Like on the thigh. I know a guy who has a beautiful tribal tattoo done by his Maori brothers that is way up on his thigh. It is extremely important to him, and no one else even knows its there. So stop with the generalizations.
As far as our friend who got the 'will never marry' tattoo, why do you feel it necessary to try and decipher her motivation? She just explained it to you moron! "Is a tattoo really going to make you feel better"?....What the f*** do you care? Maybe it did. It most likely did. So leave her alone. Leave it alone.
And for the jackass who wrote, 'why couldn't you get your nails done or sleep with a high school student'? Because she wanted a tattoo, that's why genius.
Either get a tattoo so you know what the hell you are talking about, or start your own thread about how you just got your ears pierced so we can all tell you how stupid you are for doing it, and bombard you with moronic suggestions.

I bet you're a nullo.

Wow I thought i'd heard everything but nullo was a new one on me, had to google it, and wtf is that about?

Wow! What a well thought-out, witty, and complex retort. Its so nice to know that you have a wealth of words at your disposal. Is this the point in the debate where I am supposed to write something crude and pointless about you? If it is, I'll pass as I have better things to do and am not an asshole. Again, thanks so much for contributing to the thread. Well done!

Wow! What a well thought-out, witty, and complex retort. Its so nice to know that you have a wealth of words at your disposal. Is this the point in the debate where I am supposed to write something crude and pointless about you? If it is, I'll pass as I have better things to do and am not an asshole. Again, thanks so much for contributing to the thread. Well done!

8e88f1dd9d1d79dc9dece091e88cd105.gif

Tags
tattoo
Back
Top Bottom