Main page/forum joined discussions and moderated unregistered posts

With the latest vBulletin upgrade I have made some changes in order to take advantage of the new feature in the software, the ability to keep promoted main page discussions as the forum thread it was original posted (previously, main page article comments are split from the same forum threads). The main change is allowing posts by anonymous / unregistered users in the forums, with moderator approval.

I realize this is going the other way against calls on the site/forums to get rid of anonymous comments and not everyone will be fond of the idea but I feel this adds more consistency and simplicity to the site as a whole. Turning on moderator approval for main page posts has greatly diminished the number of off-topic, troublemaking and personally abusive comments.

As always, the site is constantly changing, this may be one change that turns out to be not that noticeable. If, over the long term, it does not appear to work out I can revert it back to the previous setup.

Thanks as always to the contributors on the site and the mods for helping out with a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff in keeping the site going.

UPDATE, Apr. 1, 8:18PM PT:

Hack added to the vBulletin software so that anonymous / unregistered users may be added to or removed from the ignore list.

Instructions to add (direct link):

1. Go to Settings (top of page) -> Edit Ignore list (left nav).
2. Add the user name 'Unregistered Users'.

Posts from anonymous / unregistered users will then be hidden.

Last edited:
tumblr_lo15l3BbPN1qj9e69.gif

Let it all out, buddy. It's okay to cry.

I still think the annoymous thing is CRAP...nobody likes it apart from the dude that created the dreadful thing. GET RID!

The ignore thing is just pathetic...just go back to old Morrissey solo!

I still think the annoymous thing is CRAP...nobody likes it apart from the dude that created the dreadful thing. GET RID!

The ignore thing is just pathetic...just go back to old Morrissey solo!

Image2.gif

But DT response will be this:

tumblr_lt3cy3P8jI1r3ovdbo1_500.gif

I also don't think any annoymous users or guests have the right to view the Off topics section either...but that's my own opinion.

Every single nonsensical, insulting or otherwise stupid 'Anonymous' comment that the boards are now full of? Plus it makes threads quite difficult to follow. Plenty of people in this thread have made the same point...

How does it make a thread any more difficult to follow? I just count 1 other person making the same point.

Every single nonsensical, insulting or otherwise stupid 'Anonymous' comment that the boards are now full of? Plus it makes threads quite difficult to follow. Plenty of people in this thread have made the same point...

That's like saying that gay marriage is ruining the institution of marriage. There are far more registered users who post utter crap (posts consisting of nothing more than animated GIFs, anyone?) than anonymous users who do.

That's like saying that gay marriage is ruining the institution of marriage. There are far more registered users who post utter crap (posts consisting of nothing more than animated GIFs, anyone?) than anonymous users who do.

tumblr_m3mwybTCpv1rtanxjo1_400.gif

&

tumblr_m3n5y8Q59Z1rr00hbo1_250.gif

I use to put me people I did not like on my ignore list, but that go annoying so I just finally grew up(a little) :straightface:
and now just skip over them (mostly) :thumb:
same with anonymous ones usually, is it really so difficult to do? :o
I mean come on, if I can do it anybody can :cool:

Now anonymous users can reply?

This site is going downhill

Re: Now anonymous users can reply?

We've complained loads of times. The majority of us don't want anonymous users on here because it brings all the loonys and pernamently banned members BACK! It's pointless!

We've complained loads of times. The majority of us don't want anonymous users on here because it brings all the loonys and pernamently banned members BACK! It's pointless!

Generally, it's those with the registered usernames that you have to worry about.

What you have to remember is some of us were banned for f***ed up reasons, like being stitched up by K****e who schemed and connived behind the scenes in an attempt (a successful one too) of removing those who dared challenge her way of moderating people.

Some non banned members have come on here and called Morrissey all names under the sun, disgusting comments that do not belong to a Morrissey fan site, but they were allowed to remain in the name of free speech. Fair enough, I can go along with that. But then I post a picture of a baby Hitler and refer it to K****e and hey presto - banned!

Oh, anonymous posts do not get put up straight away, they get approved first - so be interesting to see if this gets past the Mod police :thumbs:

JJ

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom