Main page/forum joined discussions and moderated unregistered posts

With the latest vBulletin upgrade I have made some changes in order to take advantage of the new feature in the software, the ability to keep promoted main page discussions as the forum thread it was original posted (previously, main page article comments are split from the same forum threads). The main change is allowing posts by anonymous / unregistered users in the forums, with moderator approval.

I realize this is going the other way against calls on the site/forums to get rid of anonymous comments and not everyone will be fond of the idea but I feel this adds more consistency and simplicity to the site as a whole. Turning on moderator approval for main page posts has greatly diminished the number of off-topic, troublemaking and personally abusive comments.

As always, the site is constantly changing, this may be one change that turns out to be not that noticeable. If, over the long term, it does not appear to work out I can revert it back to the previous setup.

Thanks as always to the contributors on the site and the mods for helping out with a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff in keeping the site going.

UPDATE, Apr. 1, 8:18PM PT:

Hack added to the vBulletin software so that anonymous / unregistered users may be added to or removed from the ignore list.

Instructions to add (direct link):

1. Go to Settings (top of page) -> Edit Ignore list (left nav).
2. Add the user name 'Unregistered Users'.

Posts from anonymous / unregistered users will then be hidden.

Last edited:
Well then Nancy, look like you'll be getting your own site. Till then however, keep your panties dry and run off to mummie.

I do believe that anonymous shouldn't be allowed to post here without register (IMO).
Is it necessary to offend me? That's why I think you're not welcome here.

Some bravery. Let's bully'em and call it free speech, we are Anonymous!

This person must be in favor of limiting free-speach! Good luck! You'll need it. America is arming itself to the teeth for the inevitable show down with the foreign born boob who claims to be president & it's obcessipn to take away everything. Your house, your car, your bank account, your job, your pay check, your nation! If you disagree, your a naughty racist?!? So be it! Come and get me!
P. S. You must agree with the ndaa, open boarders, 51%++ tax rates, sanctuary cities for illegal aliens, martial law right around the corner, talk of 9-11 on t. v. banned by bushy, elimination of the Bill of Rights? The traitors dish it out & can't take it. COWARDS & CRASHING BORES ALL!

I do believe that anonymous shouldn't be allowed to post here without register (IMO).

If words offend you, you won't make it sweetheart. Another, so-called, "man", that can't take disagreement. "Didn't mommie and daddy give you enough attention as a baby?" Ooooo Booooo Whoooo.... You feeeeeel bad! Mommie is warming up your bottle. Will say what we want. Just try and stop me. Some, actually slam entire groups with nasty, " sub- species", comments and nary a titter of disagreement! All because it's got fame and fortune? That dog don't hunt no more!

This person must be in favor of limiting free-speach! Good luck! You'll need it. America is arming itself to the teeth for the inevitable show down with the foreign born boob who claims to be president & it's obcessipn to take away everything. Your house, your car, your bank account, your job, your pay check, your nation! If you disagree, your a naughty racist?!? So be it! Come and get me!
P. S. You must agree with the ndaa, open boarders, 51%++ tax rates, sanctuary cities for illegal aliens, martial law right around the corner, talk of 9-11 on t. v. banned by bushy, elimination of the Bill of Rights? The traitors dish it out & can't take it. COWARDS & CRASHING BORES ALL!
Calm down, will ya? This is a forum about music, not an electoral debate about life and death. Freedom of speech is great. I have lived under a dictatorship and I know better how precious it is. But I don't see anything brave in insulting someone only because the rude person is allowed to post here anonymously. This is spoiled and dumb. As for the "foreign born boob", I've heard from a GOP candidate that it's better to stick with Obama.

Calm down, will ya? This is a forum about music.

Is it? I thought it was a Morrissey-haters site, despised by Morrissey and most real fans. Why bother to upgrade when you ought to be closing this shithole down and saving your money?

Ignore it and chin up, Ralph. This'll sort itself out. :flowers:

Is it? I thought it was a Morrissey-haters site, despised by Morrissey and most real fans. Why bother to upgrade when you ought to be closing this shithole down and saving your money?

The irony, Mr Anon, of you bothering to even post this on a hated site, is FABULOUS.

Calm down, will ya? This is a forum about music, not an electoral debate about life and death. Freedom of speech is great. I have lived under a dictatorship and I know better how precious it is. But I don't see anything brave in insulting someone only because the rude person is allowed to post here anonymously. This is spoiled and dumb. As for the "foreign born boob", I've heard from a GOP candidate that it's better to stick with Obama.

Stuck in the left vrs. right paradigm are you? Or, a prduct of the p. c. mind containers? We slipped through your keepers net years ago. Even Billy Corgan, Smashing Pympkins has gone public to help free your minds. Do your home work before you spout the systems pap!

Just another foppish dandy!

We slipped through your keepers net years ago.
Oh, I see. How could I mistake you for a banal birther? Skull and Bones, the new Hitler, nuclear bomb, this is the future! Come, Armageddon! I'm really impressed. Good luck trying to foil the global conspiracy!

Oh, I see. How could I mistake you for a banal birther? Skull and Bones, the new Hitler, nuclear bomb, this is the future! Come, Armageddon! I'm really impressed. Good luck trying to foil the global conspiracy!

Screw hitler, skull & bones and all those who shove tyranny in our faces. We defend your right to be wrong. We are Freedom! We are liberty!

Just...why?

I realise at this stage that questioning the 'machinery' of this site is as pointless as a fart in a hurricane, but why on Earth allow "Anonymous" users to post in the forums? Isn't it bad enough that they've ruined the main page?

Re: Just...why?

I realise at this stage that questioning the 'machinery' of this site is as pointless as a fart in a hurricane, but why on Earth allow "Anonymous" users to post in the forums? Isn't it bad enough that they've ruined the main page?

I attempted to explain the decision in the first post of the thread. Anonymous posts now require moderator approval before they are posted to the site so there will be less of the nonsense that occurred in the past. I don't agree they have ruined the main page or that the main page is in ruin itself.

I get that some people are more tolerant than others. I have been lobbying the software makers for an option to 'ignore anonymous posts' setting that users can configure in addition to the current ignore specific user functionality.

Re: Just...why?

I attempted to explain the decision in the first post of the thread. Anonymous posts now require moderator approval before they are posted to the site so there will be less of the nonsense that occurred in the past. I don't agree they have ruined the main page or that the main page is in ruin itself.

I get that some people are more tolerant than others. I have been lobbying the software makers for an option to 'ignore anonymous posts' setting that users can configure in addition to the current ignore specific user functionality.

But..I was wondering...

Why should we register if everybody can post as "anonymous"?

This idea seems like it has more to do with giving the appearance that the site isn't a ghost town than anything else...

People aren't going to come rushing to discuss Morrissey because of this. If anything, it makes the state of his career look even more pathetic by having the same 4 people go on for pages gushing about him and their "autistic eye tricks."

This idea seems like it has more to do with giving the appearance that the site isn't a ghost town than anything else...

The primary reason is to merge discussions that were split while at the same time keeping anonymous posts. You could argue by allowing the choice to post anonymously (which you used) is an attempt to give the appearance this isn't a ghost town. Or you could say it's giving the user a choice. Depends how you want to spin it I suppose.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom