Main page/forum joined discussions and moderated unregistered posts

With the latest vBulletin upgrade I have made some changes in order to take advantage of the new feature in the software, the ability to keep promoted main page discussions as the forum thread it was original posted (previously, main page article comments are split from the same forum threads). The main change is allowing posts by anonymous / unregistered users in the forums, with moderator approval.

I realize this is going the other way against calls on the site/forums to get rid of anonymous comments and not everyone will be fond of the idea but I feel this adds more consistency and simplicity to the site as a whole. Turning on moderator approval for main page posts has greatly diminished the number of off-topic, troublemaking and personally abusive comments.

As always, the site is constantly changing, this may be one change that turns out to be not that noticeable. If, over the long term, it does not appear to work out I can revert it back to the previous setup.

Thanks as always to the contributors on the site and the mods for helping out with a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff in keeping the site going.

UPDATE, Apr. 1, 8:18PM PT:

Hack added to the vBulletin software so that anonymous / unregistered users may be added to or removed from the ignore list.

Instructions to add (direct link):

1. Go to Settings (top of page) -> Edit Ignore list (left nav).
2. Add the user name 'Unregistered Users'.

Posts from anonymous / unregistered users will then be hidden.

Last edited:
Re: Now anonymous users can reply?

What you have to remember is some of us were banned for f***ed up reasons, like being stitched up by K****e who schemed and connived behind the scenes in an attempt (a successful one too) of removing those who dared challenge her way of moderating people.

Some non banned members have come on here and called Morrissey all names under the sun, disgusting comments that do not belong to a Morrissey fan site, but they were allowed to remain in the name of free speech. Fair enough, I can go along with that. But then I post a picture of a baby Hitler and refer it to K****e and hey presto - banned!

Oh, anonymous posts do not get put up straight away, they get approved first - so be interesting to see if this gets past the Mod police :thumbs:

JJ

I knew you were back on Jukebox Jury. I've known for sometime! You should be allowed back...a lot of users have done far worse.

I knew you were back on Jukebox Jury. I've known for sometime! You should be allowed back...a lot of users have done far worse.

Thanks for the support, but Ssshhhhh don't call me by my full name, maybe the mods haven't sussed out yet what JJ stands for ;)

umm, with the anonymous posting, "the banned" are sort of being let back, aren't they?
and perhaps the ones that choose to identify themselves in their anonymous posts and repeat the stuff that got them banned in the first place
well, can they really expect the ban on their registered posting to be lifted?
perhaps they care not
don't get me wrong though, if a certain mod just had a thicker skin then maybe a lot of banned people could come back
but hopefully not all, some really are best left banned*, aren't they**?

*=by banned I now mean forced to post anonymously, of course, which really is not the same thing
**=but not JJ, if he could just leave you know who alone, then letting him back seems the right thing to do

Last edited:

umm, with the anonymous posting, "the banned" are sort of being let back, aren't they?
and perhaps the ones that choose to identify themselves in their anonymous posts and repeat the stuff that got them banned in the first place
well, can they really expect the ban on their registered posting to be lifted?
perhaps they care not
don't get me wrong though, if a certain mod just had a thicker skin then maybe a lot of banned people could come back
but hopefully not all, some really are best left banned*, aren't they**?

*=by banned I now mean forced to post anonymously, of course, which really is not the same thing
**=but not JJ

Nice one Robbie - we can post, but as I said above, the message has to be approved by a mod before it is actually posted. So if I decided to post ''Robbie is a cnut'' there is no guarantee you will get to see it.

By the way, I think you are a cnut ;)

Nice one Robbie - we can post, but as I said above, the message has to be approved by a mod before it is actually posted. So if I decided to post ''Robbie is a cnut'' there is no guarantee you will get to see it.

By the way, I think you are a cnut ;)

and I am OK with that, oh and by the way, you quoted me before I edited my 2nd "*"
which makes my feelings on your banning more clear I think

and I am OK with that, oh and by the way, you quoted me before I edited my 2nd "*"
which makes my feelings on your banning more clear I think

Love and kisses to you :)

JJ

so yeah, umm, a lot of threads are being overrun by anonymous posters now :eek:
and umm, uhh, I cannot use the ignore function on anonymous users :confused:
or am I doing something wrong? :squiffy:
if so let me know what :thumb:
or make it so we can ignore them or you could uhh, not let so many through maybe? :o

so yeah, umm, a lot of threads are being overrun by anonymous posters now :eek:
and umm, uhh, I cannot use the ignore function on anonymous users :confused:
or am I doing something wrong? :squiffy:
if so let me know what :thumb:
or make it so we can ignore them or you could uhh, not let so many through maybe? :o

On your "edit ignore list" settings, did you see this text?

Add "Unregistered Users" to ignore all anonymous / unregistered posts.

Moderators are STILL not controlling or moderating what anonymous posters are posting! I've seen horrible messages as of late. We shouldn't be forced into ignoring anonymous posters when the majority of the forum didn't want any anonymous posts spread over the community's threads in the bloody first place.

Moderators are STILL not controlling or moderating what anonymous posters are posting! I've seen horrible messages as of late. We shouldn't be forced into ignoring anonymous posters when the majority of the forum didn't want any anonymous posts spread over the community's threads in the bloody first place.

There's a report button at the bottom of each post to report posts other users may find not to their taste. We have lives, we have jobs, we can't see everything, and rely for the most part on other users to help with the process. If it's not reported, we don't see it, unless by chance we come across the contentious post ourselves. If you see posts you don't like or think may violate the TOS, report them, then we can see if there's a case to answer. As for your points on the 'horrible messages', do you have some examples you could report?

P.

I approved that one. While it was over the top with the imagery, it was a direct response to a post.

If you don't want to see anonymous posts you have the choice to add them to your ignore list. If you want a fully censored forum you'll have to look elsewhere.

I approved that one. While it was over the top with the imagery, it was a direct response to a post.

If you don't want to see anonymous posts you have the choice to add them to your ignore list. If you want a fully censored forum you'll have to look elsewhere.

Why can't you just accept some of your ideas are stupid? A lot of us don't agree with it and you ignore because your king of your little world.

Why can't you just accept some of your ideas are stupid?

That's an awful funny statement coming from the guy who thinks it is a good idea to allow vermin to live in his bedroom.

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/121834-Sick-Sick-Murder?p=1986711273&viewfull=1#post1986711273

A lot of us don't agree with it and you ignore because your king of your little world.

That's life.
DavidT---deal-with-it.gif

This place would be pretty much be dead if it wasn't for anonymous posting. That is why it's being used. All this 'freedom of speech' talk is nonsense.

This place would be pretty much be dead if it wasn't for anonymous posting. That is why it's being used. All this 'freedom of speech' talk is nonsense.

That is nonsense. David has been very consistent over the last 6 years and has always cited free speech for not censoring comments.

That is nonsense. David has been very consistent over the last 6 years and has always cited free speech for not censoring comments.

Yeah, being able to say 'Morrissey is gay' & I don't like his trousers etc on an unofficial fan site is really radical. David T only needs a rape allegation and he'll be up there with Julian Assange.

Yeah, being able to say 'Morrissey is gay' & I don't like his trousers etc on an unofficial fan site is really radical. David T only needs a rape allegation and he'll be up there with Julian Assange.

If you had stuck to posting .gifs, you wouldn't have said something so stupid.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom