Main page/forum joined discussions and moderated unregistered posts

With the latest vBulletin upgrade I have made some changes in order to take advantage of the new feature in the software, the ability to keep promoted main page discussions as the forum thread it was original posted (previously, main page article comments are split from the same forum threads). The main change is allowing posts by anonymous / unregistered users in the forums, with moderator approval.

I realize this is going the other way against calls on the site/forums to get rid of anonymous comments and not everyone will be fond of the idea but I feel this adds more consistency and simplicity to the site as a whole. Turning on moderator approval for main page posts has greatly diminished the number of off-topic, troublemaking and personally abusive comments.

As always, the site is constantly changing, this may be one change that turns out to be not that noticeable. If, over the long term, it does not appear to work out I can revert it back to the previous setup.

Thanks as always to the contributors on the site and the mods for helping out with a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff in keeping the site going.

UPDATE, Apr. 1, 8:18PM PT:

Hack added to the vBulletin software so that anonymous / unregistered users may be added to or removed from the ignore list.

Instructions to add (direct link):

1. Go to Settings (top of page) -> Edit Ignore list (left nav).
2. Add the user name 'Unregistered Users'.

Posts from anonymous / unregistered users will then be hidden.

Last edited:
Re: Just...why?

But..I was wondering...

Why should we register if everybody can post as "anonymous"?

Setting up a profile allows some customizing of views / profile display. While it is true everybody can post, I feel those who post with a profile are taking more of a risk as they are putting a name behind their words. Especially in your case if that is your real name.

It doesn't mean that the words from those who choose to post anonymously aren't worth anything though. Yes, there is more abuse but sometimes, when the risk is removed there is more authenticity and more creativity, as suggested by this link I posted in June 2011 on a discussion of a similar topic.

4Chan Founder Moot: 'Anonymity is authenticity,' Zuckerberg 'wrong' - 2011

Setting up a profile allows some customizing of views / profile display. While it is true everybody can post, I feel those who post with a profile are taking more of a risk as they are putting a name behind their words. Especially in your case if that is your real name.

It doesn't mean that the words from those who choose to post anonymously aren't worth anything though. Yes, there is more abuse but sometimes, when the risk is removed there is more authenticity and more creativity, as suggested by this link I posted in June 2011 on a discussion of a similar topic.

4Chan Founder Moot: 'Anonymity is authenticity,' Zuckerberg 'wrong' - 2011

in other words.....

tumblr_m1b1qfn7PP1rqdb2fo1_250.gif

:rofl: OMG Corny, you're funny.

Those who register and post on a forum such as this do so for reasons
that are often very different to those who post anonymously. Most prominent and irritating to regulars is
the licence it appears to give them to abuse and insult people whilst hiding behind their anonimity. Witness the
rotten abuse of CrystalGeezer.
Secondly, the problem with moderators, and giving them even more scope, is the danger of site's character being
determined by them and not the members. Ofcourse, it's right and proper that we should have someone to overlook and
when necessary intervene but, I guess, it comes down to trust, that they'll ignore their own predujices and try and do what's right.
I think I do trust our moderators and they appear to act fairly and impartially( I particularly like Uncle Skinny).
I think they made an error, though by re-admitting Urban. He posted a straight forwardly racist post. So now he promises not to be rude to people. So amenable fascism is OK?
Anyway, it was probably a mistake post that last bit as I will now have to suffer some kind attack from our blond friend.

Those who register and post on a forum such as this do so for reasons
that are often very different to those who post anonymously. Most prominent and irritating to regulars is
the licence it appears to give them to abuse and insult people whilst hiding behind their anonimity. Witness the
rotten abuse of CrystalGeezer.
Secondly, the problem with moderators, and giving them even more scope, is the danger of site's character being
determined by them and not the members. Ofcourse, it's right and proper that we should have someone to overlook and
when necessary intervene but, I guess, it comes down to trust, that they'll ignore their own predujices and try and do what's right.
I think I do trust our moderators and they appear to act fairly and impartially( I particularly like Uncle Skinny).
I think they made an error, though by re-admitting Urban. He posted a straight forwardly racist post. So now he promises not to be rude to people. So amenable fascism is OK?
Anyway, it was probably a mistake post that last bit as I will now have to suffer some kind attack from our blond friend.

On the first point, anonymous posts to forums require moderator approval so there shouldn't be many posts that are personal attacks. Perhaps there was a post that you find disagreeable that you feel shouldn't have been allowed through - such as the 'rotten abuse' post you are thinking of. I did some searching and couldn't find what post you are referring to. You an always report the post and we'll take a second look. Sometimes it's borderline - a user will make some points but then throw in a mild insult. But in general, if an anonymous post leans towards an off-topic personal attack it will not be approved.

On the second point about moderators, you can post in the site feedback forum if you feel there is any abuse by the admin / mods as others have done. Urban's ban wasn't lifted but he is able to post anonymously, again these are moderated so no racist / personal attack posts should get through. I realize this is not a perfect system and over time may make some more changes such as removing anonymous posting altogether.

Racist attacks?? Truly if words offend you now a days, what will you do in the inevitable race wars coming to a town near you? Think not? Look around! Or are you deliberately blind?Best cowboy up, or cowgirl up in some cases. It's gonna be a fun Summer here in the USA. Hoodies now moving targets! Enjoy.

:rofl: OMG Corny, you're funny.

tumblr_m11t4xE5wN1qko769o1_r1_500.gif

Racist attacks?? Truly if words offend you now a days, what will you do in the inevitable race wars coming to a town near you? Think not? Look around! Or are you deliberately blind?Best cowboy up, or cowgirl up in some cases. It's gonna be a fun Summer here in the USA. Hoodies now moving targets! Enjoy.

thewalkingdead2.gif

I'm looking for coherence, but I can't find it.

P.

I'm looking for coherence, but I can't find it.

P.

I'm not sure what this dodo was initially referring to regarding racism on here, but his comment about race wars and hoodies as moving targets comes from a recent event over here where a kid wearing a hooded sweatshirt was shot to death by a man who claimed he attacked him. The man hasn't been arrested for shooting him because there's a law in Florida where it happened that states you can use a weapon to protect yourself against an attacker. And everyone's using this kid as a martyr to play the race card and vent years of pent up racism protest.

I'm not sure what this dodo was initially referring to regarding racism on here, but his comment about race wars and hoodies as moving targets comes from a recent event over here where a kid wearing a hooded sweatshirt was shot to death by a man who claimed he attacked him. The man hasn't been arrested for shooting him because there's a law in Florida where it happened that states you can use a weapon to protect yourself against an attacker. And everyone's using this kid as a martyr to play the race card and vent years of pent up racism protest.

I got that, but it was kind of lost in the delivery. In my opinion.

P.

Shane was the greatest thing about the walking dead, hands down.

tumblr_m1sceiRpzO1qctbvlo1_250.gif

you sure about that?

Look at all the banned people who can now post anonymously!

tumblr_loahdxikK91qjp24go1_500.gif

free for all.....
tumblr_lvwjmh2Ckl1qcay1ao1_500.gif
:)

Way to go David!! Your basically a Free-Speach advocate. Thank God in Heaven, someone still is. We're the ones who posted in favor of your going to the S.D. show. My pal is a para-legal, with great connects. Just let the security trash remove you, with your paid for ticket and "Trouble Loves Me", becomes his nightmare come true. The legal rangle and paper work envolved will all be worth it when you've gained about 100,00GBP. They'll have to settle out of court and pay you a tidy sum, or have their passports suspended until they make restitution and compensation. Enjoy. Till then friend. Dish it out, git ready to rumble.

Sorry, but check your ticket. Somewhere on there it will say promoter has the right to refuse entry - like they do in any bar / nightclub / entertainment venue.
The person baring you doesn't even have to give a reason why (certainly in the UK) - though they should give a full refund.

I get that some people are more tolerant than others. I have been lobbying the software makers for an option to 'ignore anonymous posts' setting that users can configure in addition to the current ignore specific user functionality.

I went ahead and added a hack to the software so that anonymous / unregistered users may be added to or removed from the ignore list.

I went ahead and added a hack to the software so that anonymous / unregistered users may be added to or removed from the ignore list.

You make those glitches your bitches!

Meh, I still think it's a shit idea if I'm honest....It's not going to help anything. It's a pain the ass. I don't know who's post I'm reading now. There's no f***ing community now and I thought the whole point of a forum was about the community?? You've ruined it. If this forum is going to be full of annoymous people posting in a few months time, I'm going.

Last edited by a moderator:

You may aswell get rid of the f***ing reputation thing if everyone is now gonna be annoymous....

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom