Most Underrated/Overlooked Morrissey Songs?

I think All The Lazy Dykes is quite underrated - I listen to it all the time. Also, How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? (OLPSSTTI) is a firm favourite.

I love "Christian Dior" and his unforgettable version of "That's Entertainment". But I think the most underrated track is "Something Is Squeezing My Skull". Fans seem to like it, but I think it's among the very best songs he's ever recorded and it never seems to get its due. Should've been a worldwide smash #1.

Me too. That's why I did it. OLPSSTTI = Only Lazy People Shorten Song Titles To Initials. AICOW? (Am I clever or what?)

(No, I'm not, I'm an idiot ungrateful bloody lying sod!!!!)

Thought it was a song.Just couldn't be arsed to work it out.Speaking of AI COW,I'm a PMF.

Last edited:
An album's worth of my favorite Morrissey obscurities would read/play as follows:

1. Tony The Pony
2. I Knew I Was Next
3. Fantastic Bird
4. I Am Hated For Loving
5. Let The Right One Slip In
6. Do Your Best And Don't Worry
7. He Cried
8. Teenage Dad On His Estate
9. You Were Good In Your Time
10. Oh Phoney (not the horrible 2010 version)
11. A Swallow On My Neck
12. Driving Your Girlfriend Home
13. Christian Dior

10. Oh Phoney (not the horrible 2010 version)

They took everything away from the brilliant song in the Bona Drag remaster. It was terrible. Why would they have took away the piano and the other instruments? It doesn't make sense...

I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
Nobody Loves Us
Lost
Come Back To Camden
It's Not Your Birthday Anymore

Not underrated by many of the fans perhaps, but unknown and therefore overlooked by the public at large.

Apologies for replying to myself, but to this list I could actually add:

I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
Jack The Ripper (live)
Now My Heart Is Full
Speedway
Trouble Loves Me
And, perhaps, Life's A Pigsty

There's almost a hidden, alternate line of classic Morrissey songs that the public just doesn't know. I do wonder how it different his career may have been (and how differently he may be perceived) had this side of him been better served in terms of single releases. I mean, Please Please Please... seems to only now be getting the recognition it deserves.

I love "Christian Dior" and his unforgettable version of "That's Entertainment". But I think the most underrated track is "Something Is Squeezing My Skull". Fans seem to like it, but I think it's among the very best songs he's ever recorded and it never seems to get its due. Should've been a worldwide smash #1.

I don't disagree , Worm ( personally I love the cynicism of "... No true friends in modern life...") , but a worldwide smash ?

Apologies for replying to myself, but to this list I could actually add:

I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
Jack The Ripper (live)
Now My Heart Is Full
Speedway
Trouble Loves Me
And, perhaps, Life's A Pigsty

There's almost a hidden, alternate line of classic Morrissey songs that the public just doesn't know. I do wonder how it different his career may have been (and how differently he may be perceived) had this side of him been better served in terms of single releases. I mean, Please Please Please... seems to only now be getting the recognition it deserves.

Yeah, within his fans, those songs would all be ranked up with his very best. Actually, I'm pretty sure almost all would land in the top ten. So, it's hard to call them underrated. But, as you say, the general public doesn't really know them and that's a shame. They really are some of his greatest works.

I suspect that the general public actually knows fewer songs than we imagine, so I guess that an "underrated" song means in fact any song that isn't currently performed live - so Jack the Ripper, for example, is now underrated (too bad), although it wasn't underrated some time ago. By the same criterion, Sheila... isn't underrated right now.
Beyond this, anyone of us can very quickly name a lot of songs with less exposure, either because they were B-sides, unreleased, weren't played live or were considered "dated" and so on. Out of laziness, I could very well use Skylarker's list too, with He Cried, Teenage Dad On His Estate, You Were Good In Your Time, or It's Not Your Birthday Anymore. But the actual list is always changing. Lately I fell in love with My Dearest Love and My Life Is a Succession... Are these ones underrated? I don't know.

There are quite a few in the list of worst songs that I would rate among the best.

Heir Apparant, He Cried, Ambitious Outsiders and Sorrow Will Come to and End make Malajusted well worth it.

Tbe Draize Train is one of the best instrumentals that The Smiths did.

All the songs from Kill Uncle should not be here, as that is Morrissey's most laid back album, making it an easy, calming listen.

I always found At Amber and Pashernate Love great, and Sweetie Pie is a masterpiece.

Lastly, Death at Elbow is a fun, devilish tune that shows a great country side to the smiths, reminds me of Burn-Up, by Siouxsie Sioux.

Lifeguard Sleeping,Girl Drowning;I Am Hated For Loving,Trouble Loves Me,The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores,Dear God Please Help Me,It's Not Your Birthday Anymore,I Like You,I'd Love To,When Last I Spoke To Carol,Michael's Bones,Jack The Ripper,Interlude (especially solo version)...I guess that's not all.

of those given a rating below 7, not counting Smiths tracks and covers (cant believe some of the covers that are rated as low as they are), i'd say these are underrated to very underrated.

(192) 211 On The Streets I Ran (2006) 6,99
(201) 212 The Public Image (2004) 6,89
(190) 213 This Is Not Your Country (1997) 6,88
(197) 214 Christian Dior (2006) 6,87
(196) 215 Dial-A-Cliché (1988) 6,85
(198) 217 Roy’s Keen (1997) 6,84
(199) 219 At Amber (1990) 6,81
(200) 221 Dagenham Dave (1995) 6,80
(202) 224 Ammunition (1997) 6,69
(206) 225 Margaret On The Guillotine (1988) 6,69
(---) 227 You Were Good In Your Time (2009) 6,66
(207) 229 Mexico (2004) 6,64
(209) 232 Best Friend On The Payroll (1995) 6,60
(210) 236 Black Eyed Susan (1995) 6,52
(214) 237 America Is Not The World (2004) 6,50
(219) 242 Asian Rut (1991) 6,33
(217) 243 Ambitious Outsiders (1997) 6,30
(223) 246 All The Lazy Dykes (2004) 6,15
(221) 247 You’ve Had Her (1992) 6,11
(224) 248 Slum Mums (2004) 6,10
(225) 250 Tony The Pony (1991) 6,08
(228) 253 Found Found Found (1991) 5,82
(229) 254 The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye (1991) 5,77

"The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye" is likely his most underrated song of all-time- people juste don't get it.

of the last decade, "Slum Mums" and "All The Lazy Dykes" are his most underrated.

iabsolutely lov "Black-Eyed Susan"- can't fathom why it would be rated so poorly.

"The Public Image" is quite overlooked. so is "I Am Two People"

"You've Had Her" is a very special song for me- brilliant lyric.

"Dagenham Dave" and "Roy's Keen" are defintely his most underrated singles- great tracks.

most overrated song is likely "First Of The Gang To Die".

Im amazed "You know I couldnt last" is hardly mentioned if at all. very very good song in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom