Best Morrissey Song: The Bracket

Gentler Words

It's Morrissey March Madness!!

I have created a bracket to determine the best Morrissey song. Go here to vote. It's free and easy. :)

Know going in, however, that it was incredibly difficult to narrow the songs down and seed them. I tried to be as objective as possible, but there are some notable songs excluded: Alsatian Cousin, Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed, I Am Hated For Loving, Southpaw, Lost, Sweetie Pie and Good Looking Man About Town (a couple of my favorite b-sides), etc etc etc. In the end, those probably wouldn't have advanced very far anyway, but know that it pained me not to not include everything and I put great thought into what I did.

Please vote and share. (If you want to.)

Thanks! :thumb:

In case you're interested, here are the 1st Round match-ups:

• Everyday Is Like Sunday vs. All You Need Is Me
  • Seasick, Yet Still Docked vs. Ouija Board, Ouija Board
  • Jack The Ripper vs. I Like You
  • You Have Killed Me vs. Nobody Loves Us
  • The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get vs. A Swallow On My Neck
  • Tomorrow vs. The Never Played Symphonies
  • Alma Matters vs. There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends
  • Hold Onto Your Friends vs. I Have Forgiven Jesus
  • The Last Of The Famous International Playboys vs. Spring-Heeled Jim
  • I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday vs. Boxers
  • Trouble Loves Me vs. Do Your Best And Don't Worry
  • Sister I'm A Poet vs. Certain People I Know
  • Hairdresser On Fire vs. Our Frank
  • Sing Your Life vs. Picadilly Palare
  • Life Is A Pigsty vs. Satan Rejected My Soul
  • Will Never Marry vs. Break Up The Family
  • Suedehead vs. America Is Not The World
  • Irish Blood, English Heart vs. It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
  • Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself vs. Something Is Squeezing My Skull
  • Come Back To Camden vs. Interesting Drug
  • November Spawned A Monster vs. Used To Be A Sweet Boy
  • Disappointed vs. You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side
  • The National Front Disco vs. The Ordinary Boys
  • In The Future When All's Well vs. You're The One For Me, Fatty
  • First Of The Gang To Die vs. That's How People Grow Up
  • I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris vs. Glamorous Glue
  • Speedway vs. The Boy Racer
  • We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful vs. Let Me Kiss You
  • Now My Heart Is Full vs. I'm Not Sorry
  • I've Changed My Plea To Guilty vs. Sunny
  • Late Night, Maudlin Street vs. The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
  • My Love Life vs. Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference

The winner of all the songs on the left will end up battling the winner of the songs on the right. :boxing:

(I'd list the seedings, but it might just confuse things, as it looks like the seeding logic is incorrect for the site. For example, it has the winner of the 1v16 match-up going up against the 5v12 winner when it should go up against the 8v9 winner. Each seed is slightly off like that. However, it still should play out where the #1 and #2 seeds meet in the Elite 8 and the 4 #1 seeds would meet in the Final 4 if they aren't upset along the way. I have a feeling there will be some upsets and tough battles, though!)

Last edited:
I had a lot of fun filling this out, thanks for doing it! Pretty easy choices for me, except First of the Gang vs. That's How People Grow Up. Decisions!!

The best song was already voted in the huge poll organised some years ago on the site, can't find the lnk though.

The best song was already voted in the huge poll organised some years ago on the site, can't find the lnk though.

Yeah, I actually used that as a reference when picking/seeding the songs. It was in 2006, so I figure we're due for another vote. Also, that was just through this site. There are a large number of Morrissey fans that don't go here; I'm hoping to tap into them as well.

Five more days to vote for the 1st Round.
(The later rounds aren't nearly as drawn out.)

Thanks everyone who has voted so far. I'm quite intrigued as to how all this will play out.

There are several 1st Round match-ups that I'm really unsure which way they'll go (Hold Onto Your Friends vs. I Have Forgiven Jesus; Will Never Marry vs. Break Up The Family, to name a couple), and I'm really interested to see how a couple of the seemingly popular (to the hardcore fans) b-sides fare, such as Nobody Loves Us (vs You Have Killed Me) and The Never Played Symphonies (vs Tomorrow).

Thanks! That was a lot of fun.

but Alsatian Cousin is my favourite song! oh well...thanks for setting it up, it's fun :)

Yes! I love that song. At least "Our Frank" was included, IMO, another passed over gem.

but Alsatian Cousin is my favourite song! oh well...thanks for setting it up, it's fun :)

Yeah, sorry about that. Alsatian Cousin was one of the last cut. Morrissey just has so many songs. It's quite impressive, really.

Thanks for voting, everyone! We've got quite a bit of votes so far. One more day till the 2nd Round!

And... then there were 32. The 2nd Round has begun! Vote here.

Biggest 1st Round surprises to me:

Nobody Loves Us took down You Have Killed Me. I thought it would do well, but I didn't think the b-side would actually overtake the hit.
Piccadilly Palare crushed Sing Your Life. I'm not incredibly surprised Picadilly won that match-up, but I at least thought it would be close.
Come Back To Camden lost to Interesting Drug. :tears: This is the saddest loss for me. Nothing against Interesting Drug, but I simply love Come Back To Camden and thought it had a good chance to advance.
Sister I'm A Poet DESTROYED Certain People I Know. Sure, I voted for it too, but 79%?! I thought that would be a close one. Guess not.

There are other interesting results besides those, but those really stood out for me. And now it really gets interesting, as all the match-ups get tough from here on out.

King-of-the-Ring-1991.jpg

Tags
best song bracket morrissey -solo poll vote
Back
Top Bottom