Best Morrissey Song: The Bracket

Too bad about both "...Camden" and "Spring-Heeled Jim"- I really like both of them. Anyway, thanks for doing this. I just voted in round 2! :)

Thanks for voting!

It's super early, but Seasick Yet Still Docked currently has a narrow lead over Everyday Is Like Sunday. I doubt it'll last, but that would be a colossal upset if it did.

(I voted for Seasick:) It's my 4th favorite Morrissey song, while Sunday is my 10th. Tough competition.)

Here are the 2nd Round match-ups:

• Everyday Is Like Sunday vs. Seasick, Yet Still Docked
  • Jack The Ripper vs. Nobody Loves Us
  • The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get vs. Tomorrow
  • Alma Matters vs. Hold Onto Your Friends
  • Last Of The Famous International Playboys vs. I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
  • Trouble Loves Me vs. Sister I'm A Poet
  • Hairdresser On Fire vs. Piccadilly Palare
  • Life Is A Pigsty vs. Will Never Marry
  • Suedehead vs. Irish Blood, English Heart
  • Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself vs. Interesting Drug
  • November Spawned A Monster vs. Disappointed
  • The National Front Disco vs. You're The One For Me, Fatty
  • First Of The Gang To Die vs. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
  • Speedway vs. We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful
  • Now My Heart Is Full vs. I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
  • Late Night, Maudlin Street vs. My Love Life

Some of these are pretty brutal. Again, the winner of the songs on the left will play the winner from the ones on the right in the finals.

Vote here.

Last edited:
i love come back to camden too, beautiful lyrics and wonderful song. however, interesting drug is pop perfection. a true morrissey classic, and therefore it got my vote. that was the hardest match up in the 1st round though in my opinion. i also hope seasick beats everyday is like sunday in this round.

i love come back to camden too, beautiful lyrics and wonderful song. however, interesting drug is pop perfection. a true morrissey classic, and therefore it got my vote. that was the hardest match up in the 1st round though in my opinion. i also hope seasick beats everyday is like sunday in this round.

They're currently tied. :boxing:
Also, somehow, Tomorrow is pulling away from The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get. I didn't see that one coming.

Hairdresser on Fire vs Piccadilly Palare = Sophie's Choice

Only two days left to vote for the 2nd Round and the three match-ups they are showing results for (Everyday Is Like Sunday vs Seasick Yet Still Docked; Jack The Ripper vs Nobody Loves Us; Tomorrow vs. The More You Ignore Me...) are all real close.

Last day to get those votes in for the 2nd Round, folks! And, if the three results they're showing are any indication, every vote will matter.

Hold onto your friends beat out, I have forgiven Jesus?
Are you kidding me?

The dream is real.

I had a feeling that one would be close, but Hold Onto Your Friends actually won out fairly easily.

Currently, Tomorrow vs. The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get is 50.9%-49.1% in favor of Tomorrow. It's coming down to the wire!

This bracket thingy is fun! Thanks for a great thread!

Thanks! Glad you like it. :) I love these kinds of things, but I know they're not for everyone.

Quick update:

The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get has just passed Tomorrow after several days of trailing. It's still incredibly close, though, with one last day till the next round.

Here are the match-ups for the 3rd Round (Sweet Sixteen):

• Everyday Is Like Sunday vs. Jack The Ripper
  • The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get vs. Hold Onto Your Friends
  • The Last Of The Famous International Playboys vs. Trouble Loves Me
  • Hairdresser On Fire vs. Life Is A Pigsty
  • Suedehead vs. Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
  • November Spawned A Monster vs. The National Front Disco
  • First Of The Gang To Die vs. Speedway
  • Now My Heart Is Full vs. Late Night Maudlin Street

I've been thinking that this selection of Sweet Sixteen songs would make an excellent foundation for a career-spanning "Best Of" for Morrissey. It's a great mix of his classic hits and his strongest album tracks and the selections would have the approval (I believe) of the majority of his fan base.

I'd imagine the record companies would bring it to about 21 total songs to make it complete. That leaves 5 more songs to choose. There would have to be a new song, of course. I'd choose Art-Hounds, as I think it's the strongest of the new ones we've heard, but who knows what they'd end up going with. I also imagine that they'd want to represent Morrissey's more recent hits. My guess would be the inclusion of Irish Blood English Heart, You Have Killed Me, and I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris. That would leave one more slot, which I imagine would go to one of his hits that have graced these sort of compilations before. Alma Matters actually tied Hold Onto Your Friends in the 2nd Round of the bracket, so I'll go with that, but I could also see another track off of Your Arsenal making it (probably Tomorrow) or something from one of the so-far unrepresented albums (Kill Uncle: Sing Your Life or Southpaw Grammar: Do Your Best And Don't Worry), or maybe a track like Sister I'm A Poet, etc etc...

Such a "Best Of" comprised of a foundation made from this Sweet Sixteen might look something like this:

1. Suedehead
2. The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
3. The National Front Disco
4. First Of The Gang To Die
5. Trouble Loves Me
6. Jack The Ripper
7. The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
8. You Have Killed Me
9. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
10. Speedway
11. Art-Hounds
12. Irish Blood, English Heart
13. Life Is A Pigsty
14. Alma Matters
15. Everyday Is Like Sunday
16. November Spawned A Monster
17. Hairdresser On Fire
18. Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
19. Late Night, Maudlin Street
20. Hold Onto Your Friends
21. Now My Heart Is Full

I dare say, that would be the best compilation ever! I might even buy it even though I have all the songs (save for Art-Hounds, of course). Of course, he already has too many compilations, but if you're going to do it, it might as well be done right. :) One can dream.

Tags
best song bracket morrissey -solo poll vote
Back
Top Bottom