Seeking fan photos of The Smiths for a major new bio of The Smiths

rstrenz

Hi

I hope this is okay to use this forum for the following; it seems like the right place to do so.

I'm the photo researcher for a major new biography that's being published this September: A Light That Never Goes Out: The Enduring Saga of the Smiths by Tony Fletcher, whom you may know for his previous biographies on Keith Moon, R.E.M., Echo & The Bunnymen and more. The book is being published by Crown in the States and William Heinemann in the UK. I am also a Smiths fan, so you know... Didn't get to see them when they were together as they broke up sooner than I would have imagined (and I was not living in the U.K.).

So many "professional" Smiths pictures have been seen before that I thought I would reach out to the fan base to see if anyone has a picture they took of the Smiths back in the 1980s that they consider to be of publishable quality. It could be a concert photo, candid photo, posed, un-posed... I'm just trying to reach beyond the obvious sources. Photographers would be paid a one-time standard usage fee. You can email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you. And please forward this to people you believe might have their own original Smiths photos they might like to see published and credited.

And thanks for running a great site. Between work, family, and other preoccupations over the years I haven't been able to participate in the forum culture that much, but it's fun diving in here and confirming how much love still exists for the Smiths. The aforementioned book has come about largely in recognition of the vast influence The Smiths have had on so many people in so many ways... to register their story and influence in history with a quarter century of perspective and reflection.

Thank you!

[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom