YouTube Discoveries Thread

MORRIZSEY

Wrong species
I think it's worth collating these finds into one thread, and this YouTube account, which has nothing to do with me personally, has 182 Smiths/ Morrissey videos uploaded in the last three weeks, and counting. Many, but certainly not all, I've seen before, and then not all in their entirety as they are here.

If you have five days to spare, click this link

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePriviligeIsMine/videos

Last edited:
I think it's worth collating these finds into one thread, and this YouTube account, which has nothing to do with me personally, has 182 Smiths/ Morrissey videos uploaded in the last three weeks, and counting. Many, but certainly not all, I've seen before, and then not all in their entirety as they are here. If you have five days to spare, click the link

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePriviligeIsMine/videos

This Headmaster Ritual Version is fantastic. The video quality is so good, and Morrissey doesn't really seem like he's changed, love it!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPt7ERTDN44&feature=colike[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
2012 Tour

TerraTV HD Sao Paulo - FULL SHOW

Festival de Viña del Mar 2012 HD - FULL SHOW

Re: TerraTV HD Sao Paulo Footage on YouTube

Love the "Barbarism" video......amazing!

This Charming Man (Acapella)

This Charming Man (Instrumental)

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before (Acapella)

Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before (Instrumental)

Did he sneak in "Stalk me" instead of "Stop me" at 40 seconds? :squiffy:
Not sure, but it's interesting to hear the vague sounds of the guitars and drums in the background, and Morrissey's breathing, like at 0:53 on TCM Acapella. I also like the Funkdoobiest mash in a strange way

Full length Smiths concert videos

Assembly Rooms, Derby, UK, 6 December 1983

The Hacienda, Manchester, UK, 6 July 1983

Paseo De Camoens, Madrid, Spain, 18 May 1985

Report from Smiths exhibition at the Holden Gallery, Manchester

"Music Made in Manchester", 2002 German documentary includes Johnny Marr interview from 14:50

(In English with intermittent German dubbing)

What difference Does It Make - The Smiths Live, Paris 1984
(with unusual "Da-da-da-da-doh" vocal addition)

How Soon Is Now - (Same concert in Paris)
(4:25 - 5:25 is pure joy, credit to Johnny)

This Charming Man (Parc Des Expositions, Paris) (1984)

Rusholme Ruffians (Parc Des Expositions, Paris) (1984)

Barbarism Begins At Home (Parc Des Expositions, Paris) (1984)

Still Ill (Parc Des Expositions, Paris) (1984)

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (Parc Des Expositions, Paris) (1984)

What She Said (Parc Des Expositions, Paris) (1984)

From the same Youtube Channel, ThePriviligeIsMine, I found one of the more personal and touching Morrissey videos I've ever seen.
It's a 5 minute documentary called "Back to the Old House" from 1985, wherein Moz takes viewers to some of his old childhood haunts. I only came across it a few months ago. Definitely worth a look if you haven't already seen it.

Around 8.40 - Johnny says that "Stop Me..." is the crowning moment of his songwriting career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txq9J-0JxEY&feature=fvst

It's nice that he spoke so highly of it. There are one or two others I like more, now, but "Stop Me" was the song that changed my life and made me a Smiths apostle forever. Great tune. I'm glad he looks back on it as fondly as he does (even if he might have changed his mind the next day, as the interviewer joked).

Bernard Butler was wonderful in Suede. Would have been fantastic as a Morrissey collaborator, maybe post-Street, but as you can plainly see in the interview he would have been seen as a copycat of Marr. The press and critics would have savaged them.

Last edited:
It's nice that he spoke so highly of it. There are one or two others I like more, now, but "Stop Me" was the song that changed my life and made me a Smiths apostle forever. Great tune. I'm glad he looks back on it as fondly as he does (even if he might have changed his mind the next day, as the interviewer joked).

Bernard Butler was wonderful in Suede. Would have been fantastic as a Morrissey collaborator, maybe post-Street, but as you can plainly see in the interview he would have been seen as a copycat of Marr. The press and critics would have savaged them.

I must have listened to "Stop Me.." hundreds of times over the years, and on each listen I still laugh the moment Moz gets to "shy bald Buddhist..". Every single time. It's simply one of the best lines he's ever written, and as Marr says, the vocal melody is brilliant. It's lovely to see Johnny praising him openly - for a moment there I thought he was going to start banging on about "Get The Message" :rolleyes: - and sweet to see Butler trying (and failing) to hide his fanboy enthusiasm. Suede were always undermined by the critics as a "Smiths lite" or Smiths for the 90s, but hell...since when was that a bad thing!

I must have listened to "Stop Me.." hundreds of times over the years, and on each listen I still laugh the moment Moz gets to "shy bald Buddhist..". Every single time. It's simply one of the best lines he's ever written, and as Marr says, the vocal melody is brilliant. It's lovely to see Johnny praising him openly - for a moment there I thought he was going to start banging on about "Get The Message" :rolleyes: - and sweet to see Butler trying (and failing) to hide his fanboy enthusiasm. Suede were always undermined by the critics as a "Smiths lite" or Smiths for the 90s, but hell...since when was that a bad thing!

I always found them very different. The Anderson/Butler Suede did the sex thing a lot better than The Smiths ever did. But, unlike The Smiths, they came across as utterly humorless. Anderson took himself too seriously. To me those things really set them apart from The Smiths and I never regarded them as clones, despite some of the obvious parallels.

Butler's work on "Dog Man Star" was tremendous, though, and it's a shame they couldn't go on developing.

Back
Top Bottom