Why does music make us zone out?

Because it's the only art form that connects and interfaces with the subconscious, the unconscious, the inner self. In a visceral way. Everything else, as strong as it may be, requires vision, attentiveness. Music is different. It finds us wherever we are, be it awake or asleep or driving or working or f***ing or talking or whatever- and gets in and takes over. It's better than sex and it's better than depression. It's the sublimation of every feeling and thought and experience and it's the only real way that we can feel released, expressed, connected. Everything else falls short: drugs, love, alcohol, you name it. Music is the closest we can get to the other side without dying. For most of us, that's close enough.

Exhibit A:

"I age by years at the mention of your name
"

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember the exact quote by Jane's A bassist Eric Avery but it was something like "Music is the only medium that can change your mood immediately". I agree with this....if you think about it, a movie or TV show you have to watch to get to a certain scene that might change how you feel....same for a book. For music, you could put on something angry and it will get you energized or something sad which might make you cry.

Back
Top Bottom