Morrissey in Brazilian press

Marcos Gouvea

Today (fev 27) 'O Globo', the most important newspaper in Rio and one of the most read in Brasil, comes with an almost 2-page interview with Moz. This interview, with a big Moz picture, is the front page of the cultural section of the newspaper.
This can be read (in Portuguese) here:
http://oglobo.globo.com/cultura/morrissey-ex-lider-dos-smiths-fala-sobre-sua-vida-sua-musica-4073348

http://oglobo.globo.com/cultura/morrissey-ex-lider-dos-smiths-fala-sobre-sua-vida-sua-musica-4073348
thanks for the info!
the online version seems to be much shorter.right.?
and does the newspaper have another picture printed than the one from approx. 2004 the online version of the interview uses?
maybe a new one?if so, can someone either scan it or make a picture of it with their camera or cell phone. thanks.
please please if someone can find the time to translate the FULL newspaper interview? much much appreciated.thanks.

thanks for the info!
the online version seems to be much shorter.right.?
and does the newspaper have another picture printed than the one from approx. 2004 the online version of the interview uses?
maybe a new one?if so, can someone either scan it or make a picture of it with their camera or cell phone. thanks.
please please if someone can find the time to translate the FULL newspaper interview? much much appreciated.thanks.

Geehrte Schwester aus Hamburg!,
Leider I think the interview is just that. In Folha de Sao Paulo they tell that Moz now only accepts journalists to ask 4 questions, by e-mail, so they couldn't do better.
The picture is indeed that old one (old but nice one...), but it occupies about 1/3 of the first page.
"O Globo" is like our Frankfurt Allgemeiner, and Folha is like our Sueddeutsche Zeitung. They are, together with "O Estado de Sao Paulo", the most prestigious and serious newspapers in the country.

Later I'll try to translate it (even though Google's translation to English is not that bad).

Geehrte Schwester aus Hamburg!,
Leider I think the interview is just that. In Folha de Sao Paulo they tell that Moz now only accepts journalists to ask 4 questions, by e-mail, so they couldn't do better.
The picture is indeed that old one (old but nice one...), but it occupies about 1/3 of the first page.
"O Globo" is like our Frankfurt Allgemeiner, and Folha is like our Sueddeutsche Zeitung. They are, together with "O Estado de Sao Paulo", the most prestigious and serious newspapers in the country.

Later I'll try to translate it (even though Google's translation to English is not that bad).

thats very lovely of you thank very much!..so have you lived in germany for a student exchange
or does your knowledge of the language-and our newspapers -come from relatives?

thats very lovely of you thank very much!..so have you lived in germany for a student exchange
or does your knowledge of the language-and our newspapers -come from relatives?

I study German for 4 years, and have visited the country many times. I like it very much, Brazilians have a lot to do with Germans - when Germans drink and party.
This is the picture of the front page of the cultural section, the interview continues in the second page:

tn.jpg

Mr. Morrissey - One of the greatest lyrics writers of the English rock, the former leader of The Smiths, who will play March in Rio, says that modern pop has no salvation (by Bernardo Araujo, O Globo)

Aged 52, Stephen Patrick Morrissey, known only by his last name, could well be a character of Charles Dickens, the face of a typical English (with Irish blood, as certified by the name Patrick and the song "Irish Blood English Heart", one of his top successes), now with wrinkles and grey eyebrows. The dexterity with words, the bitter humour and the suffering inherent to his poetry would fit as in a glove in a romance of the venerable author of "David Coperfield", "Big Hopes" and "Oliver Twist". One of the greatest rock lyrics author, first heading The Smiths, in the eighties - the band lasted only 5 years and ended, so says the legend, in a pub talk between peas and beer - and his solo career since 1988, maybe the only sport that Morrissey practices better than music is oppinion. "In England, obviously, my life is summarized mainly as legal battles, racism accusations and murder criticism", says Morrissey, who's already left his mother land to live in Italy and in the USA, and nowadays affirms to be in love with Santiago, in Chile, where he has been one of the attractions of the festival in Viña del Mar, last week. Today he will do a show in the chilean capital and follows across South America, with shows in Argentina, Peru and Colombia. In Brasil, he'll sing songs like "First of the Gang to Die", "Everyday is like Sunday" and maybe even The Smiths' "I Know It's Over", on March 9th, ... [follow the name of the venues]. In this conversation by e-mail, Mr. Morrissey speaks that modern music has no salvation, although he's very proud of his own work.

[I'll try to translate the questions/answers after]
Just to explain, in Brasil we would never call him "Mr. Morrissey" (as journalists in Belarus would possibly do). The "mister" before Morrissey is just a way the journalist found to enphasize his British origin and the fact that now he's a middle-aged mature man (not that 80's boy anymore). It's not a sign of "distance and formal respect", as it could happen in other countries. Here we are very informal.

So Morrissey always loved Reggae after all

derrickb.jpg

from O Globo

Você já emitiu opiniões radicais sobre música, ao falar de gêneros como o reggae e o rap. Você ainda os acha tão ruins?
Sempre adorei reggae. Em 1984, eu disse, brincando, a um jornal musical britânico que "o reggae é nojento". Eles me levaram a sério, e essa afirmação está por aí até hoje. (Ele inclusive tem reggaes no repertório, como "Redondo Beach".) Não gosto de rap porque nele não há melodia vocal, e porque eu me sinto como se estivesse sendo golpeado na cabeça, em vez de me permitirem simplesmente ouvir uma obra musical. Além disso, o rap geralmente é ouvido por pessoas que querem mais o barulho do que a substância. O rap hoje em dia é tocado por toda parte, em situações que não têm o menor significado, porque as pessoas parecem não estar ouvindo. Ele simplesmente está lá, enchendo o saco.

You have said some strong things about music, specifically when it comes to reggae and rap. Do you still think they're so bad?
I've always loved reggae. In 1984, I said, jokingly, to a British newspaper that "Reggae is vile". They took me seriously and this quote is still going around. (He [Morrissey] has some reggae songs in his repertoire, such as "Redondo Beach"). I don't like rap because there's no vocal melody, and I also feel as if I'm being hit in the head instead of listening to music. Besides, rap is mostly for people who are more interested in noise than substance. You can hear rap everywhere now, even in situations where it doesn't make any sense, because people are not listening. It's simply there, annoying me.

Re: So Morrissey always loved Reggae after all

oh yeah... legend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Morrissey - One of the greatest lyrics writers of the English rock, the former leader of The Smiths, who will play March in Rio, says that modern pop has no salvation (by Bernardo Araujo, O Globo)

Aged 52, Stephen Patrick Morrissey, known only by his last name, could well be a character of Charles Dickens, the face of a typical English (with Irish blood, as certified by the name Patrick and the song "Irish Blood English Heart", one of his top successes), now with wrinkles and grey eyebrows. The dexterity with words, the bitter humour and the suffering inherent to his poetry would fit as in a glove in a romance of the venerable author of "David Coperfield", "Big Hopes" and "Oliver Twist". One of the greatest rock lyrics author, first heading The Smiths, in the eighties - the band lasted only 5 years and ended, so says the legend, in a pub talk between peas and beer - and his solo career since 1988, maybe the only sport that Morrissey practices better than music is oppinion. "In England, obviously, my life is summarized mainly as legal battles, racism accusations and murder criticism", says Morrissey, who's already left his mother land to live in Italy and in the USA, and nowadays affirms to be in love with Santiago, in Chile, where he has been one of the attractions of the festival in Viña del Mar, last week. Today he will do a show in the chilean capital and follows across South America, with shows in Argentina, Peru and Colombia. In Brasil, he'll sing songs like "First of the Gang to Die", "Everyday is like Sunday" and maybe even The Smiths' "I Know It's Over", on March 9th, ... [follow the name of the venues]. In this conversation by e-mail, Mr. Morrissey speaks that modern music has no salvation, although he's very proud of his own work.

[I'll try to translate the questions/answers after]
Just to explain, in Brasil we would never call him "Mr. Morrissey" (as journalists in Belarus would possibly do). The "mister" before Morrissey is just a way the journalist found to enphasize his British origin and the fact that now he's a middle-aged mature man (not that 80's boy anymore). It's not a sign of "distance and formal respect", as it could happen in other countries. Here we are very informal.

Brasil is a wonderful country. Last year, at a small regional airport there, I saw a young guy wearing a Morrissey t-shirt. I thought, "Could Brasil be any cooler?" :rolleyes:

I've never heard a less reggae-sounding song than Redondo Beach.

I'd say this one is a bit less reggae than Redondo Beach:

The writer would have been better off citing Morrissey's choice to revive the old reggae label Attack.

One of Morrissey's favourite songs:

I'd say this one is a bit less reggae than Redondo Beach:

:lbf: I stand corrected. I've just never really liked Redondo Beach so I was being a little snarky about its reggae "cred". I've never really understood Patti Smith, either. I like "Free Money" and that's about it.

One of Morrissey's favourite songs:

Taken and slightly reworked to become Girlfriend in a Coma :thumb:

This question Flax translated was the first question of the second page.

Now going back to the first page, after the introduction by the reporter:
First question:
O GLOBO: How do you feel when you're called a legend? Do you listen to your own music a lot? What do you think about it?
MORRISSEY: I think the word "legend" means something that can be true or not. It doesn't mean what people usually think it does! Historically, I've always been in a credibility position, and, after 30 years, no one can accuse me of being a slut or a slave. This certainly means something. The pride I have of my own music certainly annoys a lot of people, but I think it's truthful, besides being meaningful until today. Please, don't throw me the same place where the rest of the pop whores are.

[considering that the inverview was done in English, it's strange to try to guess the words originally used]

This question Flax translated was the first question of the second page.

Now going back to the first page, after the introduction by the reporter:
First question:
O GLOBO: How do you feel when you're called a legend? Do you listen to your own music a lot? What do you think about it?
MORRISSEY: I think the word "legend" means something that can be true or not. It doesn't mean what people usually think it does! Historically, I've always been in a credibility position, and, after 30 years, no one can accuse me of being a slut or a slave. This certainly means something. The pride I have of my own music certainly annoys a lot of people, but I think it's truthful, besides being meaningful until today. Please, don't throw me the same place where the rest of the pop whores are.

[considering that the inverview was done in English, it's strange to try to guess the words originally used]
hi dear, someone else who speaks spanish but is not a native speaker had translated the whole text already...so you dont have to go through it anymore;) but thanks a lot..

http://allyouneedismorrissey.com/single/?p=616555&t=4707641

another interview emerged -from another BRAZILIAN newspaper
thanks to julie and meg

http://www.divirta-se.uai.com.br/ht...sessao=19&id_noticia=49957/ficha_musica.shtml
Translation via Google thanks to Meg's wonderful FB page: "Mozzerians of the world, unite and take over"

- You've said several times you did not expect to live long enough to re-record a record. It is a great paradox of not having a contract, as it has a very strong fan base. As a composer, don't you feel like writing again, because there are options that are independent of a label?

M: ''I wrote two albums that will not be released by any label. I have 17 years. Nobody knows what to do with me. Yes, I've a huge fan base in many, many countries. But that seems to make no difference to the record companies. Of course, I'm a big challenge. Perhaps it was always like that, huh? Yes, I'm sad for failing to introduce new songs. However, I do not want to join an obscure indie label that does not have a strong structure of disclosure, because it will give the media another reason to ignore me. I want to be the in the main place, along with everyone.''

- You've always been a fierce critic of politics in your songs. We live in an era of economic and political crisis. How do you see the world today?

M: ''I do not think that nowadays one has illusions about politicians, prime ministers and presidents. All of them have outdated ideas and, once elected, do absolutely nothing for the people who elected them. Democracy is an illusion and this was evident in the United States Occupy protests, the police immediately suppressed with violence. In England, the royal family is a dictatorship and you can not go against, unless it is out of sight of them. I strongly believe in the power of the people, and everything that happened in the Middle East is a great incentive. All world leaders, without exception, are dictators, and they will never give up power without hurting their own people. Politicians are pure ego and power, and absolutely nothing. And that's why people all over the world, lost faith in them. If you look at the Republican candidates for the next U.S. presidential election will be simply impossible not to laugh. They are the best that America can produce? Obama does not deserve a second term, but will succeed because the Republicans seem like residents of a hospice. This is not the way the world should be treated. Genuinely good people do not enter into politics. ''

- For a time it was believed that you were the author of the blog Morrissey's World, which you denied. What about everyone having an opinion about everything these days and post on social networks?

M: ''I am not the author of Morrissey's World, which is dangerous and has caused me problems. The Internet means that anyone becomes a critic and, in general, the thrust of some is hurt and destroy because they can do it in the safety of their rooms with Star Wars in little, friendly Iowa. On the other hand, internet is the power of the people, and that's good because it makes the music critics useless. People are thinking for themselves, which means the death of innocence. Newspapers try to tell you what is happening, but now people see how the Middle East can make their own reports on their phones and laptops. The Syrian government, for example, can no longer hide the truth out. It makes you think about all the injustices of the past and how we were always at the mercy of the controlled press. ''

- You are a great campaigner for vegetarianism and animal rights. Do you think that we evolved in this regard in the last 30 years?

M: ''The abuse of animals is now discussed everywhere. The restaurants have vegetarian options just because the owners have concluded that most customers would go away if vegans could not eat. Interestingly, the death industry - meat - is struggling very strongly. This is because they know they are losing. My belief is simple: thou shalt not kill. I also think you can judge a person by how they treat animals. Generally, people who are cruel to animals too are human beings and the planet itself. The most important issue is that people are now seriously thinking about food. Consequently, there is a general understanding that networks such as KFC and McDonald's are not only bad for the animals, but also for the people and the environment. The meat industry is called a disaster for the environment, but world leaders have not made restrictions because of the amount of money that the killing of animals generates. ''

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom