Exclusive Stephen Street interview on Viva Hate remastering and getting back with Moz

fergal_41

http://louderthanwar.com/stephen-street-exclusive-interview/

Stephen Street interview on Viva Hate, getting back with Moz, why 'Ordinary Boys' was dropped and much, much more

"I knew that if it all went badly I would be one of the most unpopular people in the country"

"So I was thinking “Right, we’re really finding out feet now”, but around then I realised that you can never really relax with Morrissey and...."

"I think it came as a shock to him but he was pleased..."

"As far as I’m concerned, the album should not have been changed. I kind of argued this with Morrissey..."

Re: Exclusive Stephen Street interview on Viva Hate remastering and getting back with

"As far as I’m concerned, the album should not have been changed. I kind of argued this with Morrissey..."

Stephen Street sounds like a very wise man. :cool: :p

Re: Exclusive Stephen Street interview on Viva Hate remastering and getting back with

It's a great interview. Once again, fascinating to hear about the musical side of the songs.
Also, Street makes it very clear that it was Morrissey's decision to remove Ordinary Boys. I can't believe that people thought Morrissey was pressured into it by the record company. Also, sounds like he's edited parts of Maudlin Street for the new release. Morrissey doesn't write the music to his songs so he shouldn't be allowed to change other people's work.
It would be like Street demanding a lyric change!

Wonder why Morrissey decided to chop that ringing electro-thrill intro to "Suedehead" ? Having a quick listen back to his various live versions over the years , he's obviously felt this way for some time as I couldn't actually find one that included those initial few seconds...

Last edited:

It's a great interview. Once again, fascinating to hear about the musical side of the songs.
Also, Street makes it very clear that it was Morrissey's decision to remove Ordinary Boys. I can't believe that people thought Morrissey was pressured into it by the record company. Also, sounds like he's edited parts of Maudlin Street for the new release. Morrissey doesn't write the music to his songs so he shouldn't be allowed to change other people's work.
It would be like Street demanding a lyric change!

Sounds like it fades early:

"There’s also a big chunk of ‘Late Night, Maudlin Street’ that’s been taken off, and I’m really not happy about that, but what can I do – it’s Morrissey’s album and I’m the producer... The fade-out section of ‘Late Night, Maudlin Street’ was there for a reason and to take it out I think is personally a bit wrong."

I remember when he did it live he dropped certain lyrics, so I do hope he's not done a Ouija Board, Ouija Board and edited some other sections out too...

Last edited:

Street seems like a top guy. Vini Reilly is a f***ing twat. Anyone see him interviewed in 'The Jewel in the Crown'? Utter Muppet. Delusional.

Interesting. Thank you for posting fergal 41.

"With thanks to Stephen Street and Gail Colson." That made me smile.

Reading between the runes it doesn't much sound like new collaboration is a possibility. But you never know.

I agree , The Album should not have been changed but here you go...It's Morrissey you are dealing with, no chance of winning..:D
Cheers Moz

Reading between the runes it doesn't much sound like new collaboration is a possibility. But you never know.

Yes, I think Street might have mentioned it if so. But I do think, as they're now back on friendly terms, there's an outside chance of him producing the next album if/when it is recorded.

Yes, I think Street might have mentioned it if so. But I do think, as they're now back on friendly terms, there's an outside chance of him producing the next album if/when it is recorded.

There might have been, but probably not now that Street has criticised Moz in public for 'meddling' with 2 of the tracks on Viva Hate (ie. the removal of Ordinary Boys and editing of Late Night, Maudlin Street).

There might have been, but probably not now that Street has criticised Moz in public for 'meddling' with 2 of the tracks on Viva Hate (ie. the removal of Ordinary Boys and editing of Late Night, Maudlin Street).

Why? He said he argued with Moz about it in person (and I'm guessing he used stronger language), so it's not really offensive to refer to the "meddling" in public. He's just being honest.

Why? He said he argued with Moz about it in person (and I'm guessing he used stronger language), so it's not really offensive to refer to the "meddling" in public. He's just being honest.

That is only my view Amy.
I know he is just being honest, and good on him.
I just get the general impression that Morrissey does not like certain details to be made public by his collaborators.
Particularly in a case such as this, where the changes to the track listing are likely to attract criticism from many of his fans.

Steven, You Don't Eat Meat.

Which considering you're butchering some of your most cherished songs is quite ironic. To meddle with a masterpiece such as Late Night, Maudlin Street is insane.

Not that I would have bought this reissue but I might even burn it now if I see it in my local record emporium. Which I probably won't as anyone who distributes it is losing money.

Perhaps its time someone put a fatwa on Morrissey for reissuing sh*t. "They'll buy anything. The fools."

I would seriously love to know what actually goes through Morrissey's head when he's making these decisions...

What did he do to Maudlin Street???? It's not that I was seriously considering buying VivaHateRemastered... but now I am just sure.

I would seriously love to know what actually goes through Morrissey's head when he's making these decisions...

Agreed. The ones made for this release are execrable. He sees fit to shorten Late Night, Maudlin Street yet not use the already-significant free space on the CD to add anything new or useful for his die-hard fans? Shabby.

Agreed. The ones made for this release are execrable. He sees fit to shorten Late Night, Maudlin Street yet not use the already-significant free space on the CD to add anything new or useful for his die-hard fans? Shabby.

Agreed, baffled but not surprised.

That is only my view Amy.
I know he is just being honest, and good on him.
I just get the general impression that Morrissey does not like certain details to be made public by his collaborators.
Particularly in a case such as this, where the changes to the track listing are likely to attract criticism from many of his fans.

Irregular is right.
Unfortunately, Morrissey cannot take any criticism - even when it is well judged.
Morrissey is an absolute genius lyricist and singer - but his musical judgement is mediocre to non-existent.
Imagine if, say, Strangeways was re-released and Morrissey said to cut the intro to Last Night I Dreamt?
Marr would, quite rightfully, tell him to f*** right off. Unfortunately, none of Morrissey's post-Street collaborators have the gravitas to stand up to him. And that's a huge part of the problem of his 'solo' career. Huge kudos to Street for a) taking the initiative to get back in touch with Morrissey and b) having the balls to tell him that he's making a bad decision with regard to the VH re-release.
How Morrissey dearly misses someone with Street's fantastic musical ability and wonderful judgement.

Last edited:

How Morrissey dearly misses someone with Street's fantastic musical ability and wonderful judgement.

*cough*Viva Brother*cough*

Back
Top Bottom