Has Morrissey ever been forced to physically defend himself at a concert?

It wasn't the same people. And I never wrote that anyone had *kicked* Morrrissey or *burned merchandise*. In their over-enthusiasm as they rushed the stage they accidentally knocked Morrissey to the ground. Wasn't the first time for him, and not the last either!

I am from Montreal. I wasn't at the show, although all my friends were (long story, it was a bad phase in my life, running away from a bad home, etc, thought I'd catch the band on the next tour which of course never happened). None of my friends have reported anything else than over-enthusiastic fans. Montreal people can be very passionate. Nothing crazier than a Morrissey show in Southern California or Glasgow. I only mentioned the description's last line because someone mentioned it in a fanzine, although again none of my friends recall anything that exceptional.

Stephane

It wasn't the same people. And I never wrote that anyone had *kicked* Morrrissey or *burned merchandise*. In their over-enthusiasm as they rushed the stage they accidentally knocked Morrissey to the ground. Wasn't the first time for him, and not the last either!

I am from Montreal. I wasn't at the show, although all my friends were (long story, it was a bad phase in my life, running away from a bad home, etc, thought I'd catch the band on the next tour which of course never happened). None of my friends have reported anything else than over-enthusiastic fans. Montreal people can be very passionate. Nothing crazier than a Morrissey show in Southern California or Glasgow. I only mentioned the description's last line because someone mentioned it in a fanzine, although again none of my friends recall anything that exceptional.

Stephane

Thanks Stephane.

I hope someone who has a copy / reprint of Smiths Indeed is able to give more details of the article.

Stephane

Ok, thanks for clearing that up Stephane. Are Glasgow gigs particularly raucous? :lbf:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up Stephane. Are Glasgow gigs particularly raucous? :lbf:

My first Smiths gig was 16 July 1986 Glasgow Barrowlands.
A horrible woman in her late teens or early 20s was standing left between two people from me. She scratched my left hand for no reason.
I still have some scars on my left hand.

Earlier when I was queuing outside the venue a nasty drunkard spotted me and shouted at me about 10 minutes because I'm not Scottish / British.
He had a heavy Glasgow accent I didn't understand him at all, but he was threatening me because of his tone of voice.
No one bothered to stop his abusive behaviour.

Last edited:
In Newport on TQID tour, the gig was cut short after Morrissey fell off the stage. Grant Showbiz had to go on and tell the crowd the band wouldn't be coming back, got hit on the head by a bottle and had to go to casualty.

well it doesnt "count" as an physical attack but it could have turned out being dangerous :

in an free german music mag) from 2004 -in an short interview

morrissey mentioned an incident on an past american tour (dont remember the city/state have to look into the mag for it..will do that)
where someone climbed up on stage and had a gun with him and morrissey expected the worst to happen
but the guy "just" showing off his gun proudly without pointing it to anyone, smiling and then jumped back into the audience.
it doesnt seem to be one concert which has been off track and not being covered by the fanzine writers cause i reasd it there the first time.
i look for the mag and post it the next days.

They owned cats? What's that got to do with it?

26.jpg

never seen Johnny/Andy sit on his 'ead!

In Newport on TQID tour, the gig was cut short after Morrissey fell off the stage. Grant Showbiz had to go on and tell the crowd the band wouldn't be coming back, got hit on the head by a bottle and had to go to casualty.

yes you are correct cornflakes . i was there that night and got crushed near the front when this happened too

made headlines in the local newspapers the day after and the tabloids caught hold of the story the following weekend

still got photo's of that night :thumb:

Wonderful gif :guitar:

Johnny Marr mentioned one Smiths incident where Morrissey got dragged into the crowd and ended up with a lump "the size of an egg" on his head, while the sound guy had blood all over his arms. Morrissey went to the hospital but got sick of waiting and went back home without treatment, and the media tried to spin it that he was attacked by "Royalists" :lbf:. Considering that most would-be stage-rushers are battered just for trying to shake his hand these days, I'd say the security has got a lot stricter.

I presume these incidents were on the same night?

Back
Top Bottom