Re-releases: Viva Hate and Suedehead

G

goinghome

Morrissey announces News about Viva Hate on the day of lurve! Typical Moz!

Viva Hate and Suedehead

14 February 2012

EMI Present:

'Viva Hate'
Remastered by Stephen Street
Release date: 26th March 2012

And

Record Store Day Single:

'Suedehead (Mael Mix)'
Remixed by Ron & Russell Mael
Release date: 23rd April 2012

EMI are pleased to announce the release through the classic Liberty label of a remastered version of Morrissey's debut album Viva Hate, and limited edition Record Store Day Ron & Russell Mael remix of his debut single 'Suedehead (Mael Mix)'.

Upon its release in 1988, Viva Hate announced to the world Morrissey's debut as a solo artist with an outstanding collection of songs which included the singles 'Suedehead' and 'Everyday Is Like Sunday'. The album charted at no. 1, having a chart stay of 20 weeks between March and August 1988, vindicating Morrissey in the face of those who doubted his ability to transcend The Smiths.

The album has now been remastered by original producer Stephen Street and the artwork - whose photo was changed for an EMI centenary edition in 1997 - has had the original photo restored. In addition, it features 'Treat Me Like A Human Being', which replaces 'The Ordinary Boys', and a written introduction from Morrissey's long-time confidant Chrissie Hynde.

Previously unseen, stunning photos from Jake Walters and Kevin Cummins adorn the sleeves and booklet. The album will be available on CD and vinyl. The LP version will be a 180g heavyweight, gatefold vinyl, housed in a wide-spine sleeve with a pull-out poster. The CD will be housed in a gatefold, card sleeve.

Following the album's release, on April 23rd EMI will release a limited edition 10-inch picture disc (Kevin Cummins' photo) of 'Suedehead (Mael Mix)', a remix of the song by Ron & Russell Mael, who have taken the track and given it their distinctive, inimitable touch: the perfect alliance between two artists who have great admiration for each other. The single will be b/w two previously unreleased BBC live tracks: 'We'll Let You Know' and 'Now My Heart Is Full', recorded at London's Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in February 1995.

Photos:

Viva Hate LP front sleeve artwork
View a larger version

Viva Hate LP back sleeve artwork
View a larger version
» - http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_120214_01

Putting a 17-year old live version of "Now My Heart Is Full" on the b-side to entice us to buy a reissue? ooh Moz, you bastard.

So this is Stephen Street's news.

Shame that Ordinary Boys has been dropped. Shame to mess with the artwork / type font as well. Interesting photo on the back - Morrissey stood outside a house with a funeral notice in the window - how very Moz.

Dave

Upon its release in 1988, Viva Hate announced to the world Morrissey's debut as a solo artist with an outstanding collection of songs which included the singles 'Suedehead' and 'Everyday Is Like Sunday'. The album charted at no. 1, having a chart stay of 20 weeks between March and August 1988, vindicating Morrissey in the face of those who doubted his ability to transcend The Smiths

Is Moz writing this shit himself? :rolleyes:

Shame that Ordinary Boys has been dropped. Shame to mess with the artwork / type font as well. Interesting photo on the back - Morrissey stood outside a house with a funeral notice in the window - how very Moz.

Dave

Seconded.

Since Jo Slee's departure Morrissey seems to lost artwork consistency. :(

Dave

Have to agree and to touch and change this masterpiece is sacrilege.

Doubt I'll buy this. I don't regard "The Ordinary Boys" as a classic, by any stretch, but it's part of the album I love. I'm not going to listen to the album without it, which means there'll be pristine-sounding tracks all the way through until "The Ordinary Boys", when the sound will drop out and a quieter, less polished track comes on, before leaping back into its remastered effulgence. Horrendous change, although I'm sure EMI pressured him to include a new track and maybe he had to chop one for space reasons. Which doesn't make it okay, just slightly understandishable.

And the artwork is terrible. The font is awful, on the front, and on the reverse it's a funny photo but it's clearly not Morrissey circa 1988. Why not another Anton Corbijn photo? Or any good photo from the year of our lord 1988? And what was wrong with the sky photo on the orginal, which is one of my favorite back cover sleeves? Baffling choices all around, possibly explained by the absence of Jo Slee, of which Kewpie reminded us, above.

I mean, "Little man, What now?" "Everyday is like sunday"? Hate it.

Maybe Morrissey released this information on Valentine's Day-- to ruin it. :censored:

Last edited:
Seconded.

Since Jo Slee's departure Morrissey seems to lost artwork consistency. :(
Yes.. Sometimes it doesn't look like a professional work - as Maladjusted and Bona Drag (and now Viva Hate) i the font type is a kinda bizarre. But I'll buy it surely. I like the YoR and ROtt ARTWORK.

I hope that booklet really has the unseen photos that's being promissed.

No way! :p

Still, he dropped Ordinary Boys? :squiffy: That's odd. That song is crucial to Viva Hate. Oh well, I'm sure it'll make sense once you listen to it.

Is Moz writing this shit himself? :rolleyes:

Almost certainly.
And he's right, wouldn't you say?

Personally, I find it all pretty thrilling. Saw it on tty, smiled, came on here....oh well, I'll never learn :o

Almost certainly.
And he's right, wouldn't you say?

Personally, I find it all pretty thrilling. Saw it on tty, smiled, came on here....oh well, I'll never learn :o

It's vulgar, conceited, unnecessary back-slapping and he doesn't need to tout his material like that - it makes him look insecure, in much the same way as those woeful "Of Which I am Most Proud" lists. It's like he's trying to convince himself of his ability.Viva Hate was obviously successful when it first came out, and it's a strong enough album to stand on its own merit. We don't need Moz glorifying his own songs, for God's sake. What could possibly be thrilling about yet another pointless re-issue? It just insults our intelligence - does he really think new cover art and a few old b-sides is all that's needed to make us fork out money for the same stuff twice, 3 times over? "Deluxe" editions, "legacy" editions, remastered editions, live cuts, "alternative" editions..it's all the same vacuous money-making rubbish. And don't get me started on his revisionist attitude towards his back catalogue. If he focused less on this time-wasting shit, he might write some half-decent new songs.

HELL!! I'm SO very happy with this. "Viva Hate" is one of my favourite... I DON'T F***** CARE if he re re re re release this; It's a wonderfull album and I will buy the LP and the CD again :D

It's vulgar, conceited, unnecessary back-slapping and he doesn't need to tout his material like that - it makes him look insecure, in much the same way as those woeful "Of Which I am Most Proud" lists. It's like he's trying to convince himself of his ability.Viva Hate was obviously successful when it first came out, and it's a strong enough album to stand on its own merit. We don't need Moz glorifying his own songs, for God's sake. What could possibly be thrilling about yet another pointless re-issue? It just insults our intelligence - does he really think new cover art and a few old b-sides is all that's needed to make us fork out money for the same stuff twice, 3 times over? "Deluxe" editions, "legacy" editions, remastered editions, live cuts, "alternative" editions..it's all the same vacuous money-making rubbish. And don't get me started on his revisionist attitude towards his back catalogue. If he focused less on this time-wasting shit, he might write some half-decent new songs.

At last! The master plan is revealed! With the past few albums he's been thinking ahead and writing shit songs so he can come out with reissues in ten years with B-sides and unreleased tracks replacing album tracks! It all makes sense now!

At last! The master plan is revealed! With the past few albums he's been thinking ahead and writing shit songs so he can come out with reissues in ten years with B-sides and unreleased tracks replacing album tracks! It all makes sense now!

I dread to think what he'll put on the Ringleader re-release (and we know it's coming).

I'm just praying he never decides to screw around with Vauxhall. Damn, that album is practically perfect.

Everybody just chill the f*** out. Jeez.

I dread to think what he'll put on the Ringleader re-release (and we know it's coming).

I'm just praying he never decides to screw around with Vauxhall. Damn, that album is practically perfect.

Now look what you did - he'll come on here and read your post and get all paranoid that no one likes Vauxhall and start planning the reissue with rejected tracks from Kill Uncle and B-sides from Your Arsenal on it. And it'll be ALL YOUR FAULT.

Everybody just chill the f*** out. Jeez.

^^^^^^THIS

Amy and mcrickson are a couple of pointless people, I've given up on them both. When you've lived Morrissey's life and walked in his shoes, then you can make your judgements, for now, get back to work at McDonald's or whatever it is you do and then we'll come to your work and point fingers at you, laugh and tell YOU how you're cooking the french fries WRONG. Adieu.

People get really worked out about these re-releases. I understand fan purism to a degree, but rage?
Nobody with a gun to your head to buy it.

Anyway, what I find interesting is the blurring of eras Morrissey is increasingly engaged in. Vauxhall-era b-sides and photos (Jake) combined with a 1988 release?
Hey, I think Moz circa '95 was at his best-looking, too, but surely there are some alternate shots from 88 kicking around. Would love to see the whole session from the original cover shoot.

Re-releasing is what it is, but dropping songs? First Roy's Keen, now The Ordinary Boys... It's getting a bit George Lucas.

Back
Top Bottom