Re-releases: Viva Hate and Suedehead

I obviously have no evidence to back this up, but I also think it's quite naive to think that Morrissey was just going along with what the record company wanted. He seems like a man who sticks to his principals. And I think it's unlikely that he doesn't have anymore tracks that he could have used instead. I feel that Morrissey is probably doing what some novelists do, which is to release an "improved" version of the same novel they released years ago, "how it should have been" now that they have the benefit of hindsight.

He re-released "Viva Hate" in 2002. Why not use the song then? Wasn't it kicking around for 14 years at that point?

It will be interesting to see how Stephen Street's remastered 'Viva Hate' tracks compare with the versions remastered by Bill Inglot and Dan Hersch that were included on 'Bona Drag' Redux and Very Best Of

No, honestly. It will.

I think Frank Arkwright has been involved with this. I believe he and Stephen Street are remastering the Blur albums?

As far as I know, Moz is the only major artist who f***s with the original LP for a re-release. No way am I purchasing this. I'll spend my money on a used copy or just download it.

Also, I did find it chucklesome that he nixed 'The Ordinary Boys' but retains 'Bengali In Platforms'. I can just see the Zadie Smith op-ed 'Guardian' blog now. Such fun.

He re-released "Viva Hate" in 2002. Why not use the song then? Wasn't it kicking around for 14 years at that point?

Wasn't the 2002 re-release done without his input? I seem to remember that he wasn't happy with it.

EDIT: I didn't actually realise that 'Viva Hate' was re-released again in 2002. Was there anything different about this re-release, or was it the same as the original or the 1997 edition?

Last edited:
Also, I did find it chucklesome that he nixed 'The Ordinary Boys' but retains 'Bengali In Platforms'. I can just see the Zadie Smith op-ed 'Guardian' blog now. Such fun.

That was what struck me too. Really with these reissues it would be best if the original track-listing was retained (although nobody would probably argue with the inclusion of Hairdresser and I Know Very Well) and then an additional disc of extras rounds up the more obscure tracks, outtakes and unreleased demos - Oh Well, Please Help The Cause, Lifeguard, Lancashire Home, Treat Me, etc.

That was what struck me too. Really with these reissues it would be best if the original track-listing was retained (although nobody would probably argue with the inclusion of Hairdresser and I Know Very Well) and then an additional disc of extras rounds up the more obscure tracks, outtakes and unreleased demos - Oh Well, Please Help The Cause, Lifeguard, Lancashire Home, Treat Me, etc.

They have enough (or almost enough) CD space for all the known, complete outtakes and B-sides. No rhyme or reason as to why Lifeguard was on Bona Drag instead - barring that they didn't anticipate this release happening. (Why wasn't Striptease with a Difference on BD?) It certainly sounded like there was at least a more complete studio attempt of Safe, Warm Lancashire Home left on the shelf.

If we are getting at excising weaker tracks, surely Dial-a-Cliche should have been top of the pile? The title says it all.

With the swapping of OB for TMLAHB, the album will now clock in at under 42 minutes

and thus needs to be pressed on a double LP...why, exactly?

Again, plenty of room for extra session material. Just pure laziness and don't-give-a-rip mentality on the part of EMI

I've already got Viva Hate 3 times. Why's he dropping Ordinary Boys too? It's one of the best songs of the album, come on Moz! Get a grip.

The release date on Recordstore is the 2nd of April. Says 26th of March on true-to-you.... Might hang on for a bit before pre-ordering from recordstore.co.uk. They've let me down several times before.

Dear Lord! Haven't bought any Morrissey product since 2009 -- "Years of Refusal". What's up with all this "redesigned" bullshit? f*** that. Just retire, dude.

I agree with Theo.Why does anyone want 88 remastered versions of the same old songs.What do you do with them all? How do you decide which one to play? Does it depend on what mood you're in? Or are you just sad bastards? You can only play one at a time.f***s sake,spend it on beer or something.Or drugs or prostitutes,you could get run over tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom