Nicky Wire, MSP, still likes Morrissey

Nicky Wire speaks about his love of John Lydon and Morrissey - Electric Banana

Nicky Wire has spoken of his love for lyricists such as Morrissey and John Lydon.

The Manic Street Preachers bassist revealed that the Sex Pistols ‘God Save the Queen’ featured his favourite lyrics, adding that the lyrics by John Lydon (aka Jonny Rotten) are what made the song so special.

Speaking about the famous anti-monarchist lyrics to the NME, Wire said: “‘When there’s no future how can there be sin? / We’re the flowers in the dustbin / We’re the poison in your human machine / We’re the future, your future,’ it’s still so powerful, so situationist and so real. For that to come from a 20-year-old John Lydon is quite staggering, really.”

Nicky also added that he was greatly influenced by The Smiths’ Morrissey and the poems of Philip Larkin.

He said: “I was really good at sports, I wasn’t a kid who was bullied and stuff like that, but all of a sudden I became swathed in this realisation that there was something else around me, and Philip Larkin and Morrissey made that really vivid and true.

“It made me and the rest of the band think, ‘f**k this is good, it’s the four of us against the world, isn’t it great to be unpopular?”

Manic Street Preachers released the 38 track singles collection, National Treasures – The Complete Singles, on 31 October 2011.

Words by David Huxley

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom