Madonna

CrystalGeezer

My secret's my enzyme.
When it comes to symbolism and being a voice for the muse, Madonna is doing slightly interesting things. When it comes to being human and money and fame and all that, Madonna kinda seems like a sellout asshole. She signed a contract with clear channel (In radio they are basically the mind numbing devil that makes radio not worth listening to anymore) to guarantee airplay. Is this common? Ethical? Fair? The music industry has been infiltrated by some dark shit as far as I can tell.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Clear Channel is giving Madonna all its luvin'.

Indeed, in what has become another notch under Madonna‘s commercial belt, her latest single ‘Give Me All Your Luvin‘ has commanded a 14 million audience on US radio, a day after being released to its stations. To be exact, the single reached a total of 14.262 million listeners yesterday following the release of its video, which features Rap star Nicki Minaj and Brit sensation MIA. This places the cut alongside a select number of songs which have fared this well in this space of time. Two name two, 2006 saw Beyonce‘s ‘Deja Vu‘ make major waves with an audience of 10 million in a single day, followed by Mariah Carey‘s 2008 cut ‘Touch My Body‘ with 7 million.

While this is no doubt a commendable feat for the icon, it is worth noting that her label recently inked a deal with the Clear Channel conglomerate, which guarantees the song will be played non stop on the stations they own.

This, despite the transparency of the deal, has forced some to question how well ‘Luvin’ would have done had it not been put in place. Clear Channel, which owns 850 stations nationwide, estimated the promotional campaign would reach more than 150 million people around the world.

Beginning on Friday morning, "Give Me All Your Luvin'" is scheduled to premiere simultaneously across 95 radio stations and on more than 1,600 digital billboards in the United States, France, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Singapore, Belgium, Finland and the United Kingdom, as well as on demand at iHeartRadio.com, Clear Channel's customized online radio service.

"This first-of-its-kind multimedia premiere with Madonna demonstrates the unequalled scope and strength of the entire Clear Channel platform — a range and depth that enables us to work with the most talented and creative artists in the world to develop truly groundbreaking promotional opportunities," said Bob Pittman, CEO of Clear Channel, in a statement.

Mr Pittman has combined US and international outdoor businesses under one executive; hired a former cable executive to expand into television, events and digital entertainment; and taken a stake in a TV production company run by Ryan Seacrest, host of American Idol. Clear Channel has pushed its digital billboards as a timely means of promoting live events and TV and radio schedules. On Friday, the group aired her new single repeatedly on its radio stations and music websites from the US to Australia and played her new video on digital billboards from Times Square to Piccadilly Circus.

The Material Girl push is the latest multimedia endeavor from Clear Channel, which organized a two-day concert in Las Vegas last year that featured the likes of Jay-Z and Lady Gaga and announced last month that it was taking a minority stake in the production company of "American Idol" host Ryan Seacrest, who produces E!'s "Keeping Up with the Kardashians."

Madonna is expected to perform "Give Me All Your Luvin'" and three other tunes at her Super Bowl halftime performance Sunday in Indianapolis. Her new album "MDNA" is set to be released in March.

Madonna’s performance during Sunday’s Super Bowl game will be only part of a multimedia promotional blitz that could prove critical in determining whether her landmark deal with Live Nation pays off.

The performer struck a “revolutionary” 10-year deal with the events group in 2007 worth an estimated $70m-$100m from albums, touring, merchandising, films and other areas, but has not released an album since 2008 and has not toured since 2009.

In addition to the Super Bowl, the most watched US broadcast of the year, Madonna showcased the video on American Idol, and is planning promotions with Apple’s iTunes digital music store Google’s YouTube video site, said Guy Oseary, her manager.

“She wants to reach as many people as possible,” Mr Oseary told the FT. “I don’t remember any time with Madonna when she’s ever talked about sales. I don’t think she has any idea how many records she’s sold.”

Clear Channel’s promotion reflects efforts by Bob Pittman, chief executive, to reposition the indebted group as a broader entertainment company. “There are lots of other artists we could do this with,” said Tom Poleman, president of Clear Channel media and entertainment national programming platforms.

Radio remains an important launch platform for musicians, despite the rise of digital music services such as Spotify, Pandora and Mog, Mr Oseary said: “Radio is still a huge asset and one of the ways people get their information and connect to what is going on today.”

Read more at ONTD: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/66315255.html#cutid1#ixzz1lXlCjipc

Funny you should start a madonna thread today, Alain Whyte has just posted on Facebook how honoured he was to have had a part in a track on her new album. Doesn't say with production, writing, or playing, but had a part.

Do not flush the toilet at the same time during half time of super bowl you americans. I hear that causes major problems sometimes. We cannot see it or I guess we can but not even I is up at that time of the morning here.

I thought Kelly Clarkson did an excellent rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. And Madonna wasn't bad either. She sure doesn't look 53! :eek:

I thought Kelly Clarkson did an excellent rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. And Madonna wasn't bad either. She sure doesn't look 53! :eek:

I think you are just the victim of stereotyping people cause of their age here. There are plenty of people in this world who do not look like their actual age or live in a way you'd expect from someone in a certain age.

Having said that I saw that she is now a bit more limited in the way she moves and she is desperate to get her career back on track as I suspect she has been living up the money. Imagine having to use your looks at the age of 53 instead of doing a proper real job out there in some factory. She should be ashamed of herself and start contributing to the BNP instead of making music that always makes money that ends up in the hands of criminals who do not pay tax.

I think you are just the victim of stereotyping people cause of their age here. There are plenty of people in this world who do not look like their actual age or live in a way you'd expect from someone in a certain age.

Having said that I saw that she is now a bit more limited in the way she moves and she is desperate to get her career back on track as I suspect she has been living up the money. Imagine having to use your looks at the age of 53 instead of doing a proper real job out there in some factory. She should be ashamed of herself and start contributing to the BNP instead of making music that always makes money that ends up in the hands of criminals who do not pay tax.
Do I take it that you are a supporter of the BNP Urban?

I thought the "World Peace" message was a little trite. You can read about Kabbalah all day long and have your army of sexy men haul you out on a chariot and remove your crown for 10 billion people to watch, but you aren't truly going to understand the nature of Kether so long as you're in the business to be making a gazillion dollars and covering up your true self with surgeries and hair extensions and bleh. I obviously don't know her story and her intentions and whatnot and she is an artist channeling stuff, the plot of her new movie intrigues me a bit, I just get conflicted when the money and fame aspect of it trumps the music aspect. Whatever. It'll all be forgotten by tomorrow but the quiet workers will keep on working.

Do I take it that you are a supporter of the BNP Urban?

Are they still around?

BNP is the brutto national product or the money generated from producing products and services in a country during a year. It is often discussed on BBC so there is no way you can get away with not knowing about it but you always came across rather illiterate on here.

Are they still around?

BNP is the brutto national product or the money generated from producing products and services in a country during a year. It is often discussed on BBC so there is no way you can get away with not knowing about it but you always came across rather illiterate on here.
Hey Urban, I forgot to tell you, I'm from Sweeden. Any chance of you not posting me?

I thought about this when I first saw her new video the other day. Putting myself in Kristeen Young's shoes, I'd be a little peeved by all this Madonna hype. I mean Madonna's music and Kristeen's are like light years apart in who they attract, and it's interesting that both Madonna and Kristeen share a feeling of dismissiveness about Lady Gaga ripping off their style, but when I heard Madonna spell out the words in her song, my first thought went to Kristeen's A-P-P-L-E song and I thought, "Really? Again?"

God oughtta line up a quiet record deal for that poor girl. And it's not like she can go out and say "MADOONA STOLE MY IDEA" because she probably didn;t, but it doesn't make anyone feel any less hosed when the hyped celebutard gets all the recognition for something you tuned into a year before. AND being famous is probably the worst curse a person could ask for, but I'm sure she wouldn;t mind being comfortable on the merits of her artwork and not being a waitress or whatever she does in her off season.

6841984103_f43ae2a181_z.jpg

Just to put this idea on the table one more time. :mad:

Image compliments of reddit.

Did anyone know that Madonna supported The Smiths in their short 1986 American Tour? What a weird thing to watch....Madonna followed by The Smiths.

Did anyone know that Madonna supported The Smiths in their short 1986 American Tour? What a weird thing to watch....Madonna followed by The Smiths.

Not surprised as I think her first UK gig was in Manchester. Saw that way back in some documentary or special on her or maybe it was about the Manchester music scene.

Back
Top Bottom