The Man City thread

I think FFP will prove to be a red herring, the wealthier clubs are already preparing legal action citing such a measure will be anti-competitive and against European laws concerning free trade. Which is quite ironic imho seeing as a lot of the top European leagues are anti-competitive and practically cartels. People cite the Bundesliga as a marvellous league yet one team is always there or thereabouts.

Anyway Test Match cricket is a far more rewarding sport. Imho

Yes, you're probably right, I guess the one thing it should mean are less clubs going on the brink of self destruction.

I fail to understand how this thread has gone.
It's supposed to be about Man City.
Not some silly little pub argument.
Do you silly people really think your stupid remarks are of interest to real football fans.
Get back to the football.
How about all the stories coming out now about the manner of Roberto Mancini's style of management.
Apparently not a very likeable chap.
I suppose that doesn't matter when your winning but when your not??
I see Gael Clichy has signed up for more.
Good solid player as is Pablo Zabaleta.
Shame about the sending off in the final although it was the justified.
I always liked Micah Richards earlier in his career but he seems to have stood still.
I think he's make a good centre half as I don't see Joleon Lescott staying.
It's going to be an interesting summer.

Apparently Platt is no better, loads of stories about here from when he was manager, was really disliked. Did he get the boot with him or is he still there?

Mancini was a great player but I'm not convinced about him as a manager, give him a job with no money and I reckon he'd be found out pretty quickly. City just don't seem to have the will to win that you need to be a proper class team.

Rowntree said:
So Roy, you hate all the big clubs because they're rich but you're happy for all the hangers on to support them because they're rich.

You're as contradictory and contrary and at least as bonkers as the real Roy Keane I'll give you that.

I agree with all you have to say, apart from that fans should support whoever they feel like. I guess you're calling us both stupid. f*** it.

I’ve noticed a pattern in your posts (in this thread and others): You tend to think in binary terms, but the world isn’t all 1s and 0s. There are plenty of other numbers that matter.

Consistently, you think that I hate big clubs because they’re rich. That’s mind-boggling because I specified how I disfavor Barcelona and Real Madrid for non-money and ‘bigness’ reasons such as their petulance, crowding of refs and flailing on the pitch. I also said that I disfavor Liverpool because of Suarez, Gerrard and how their management behaved particularly within recent controversies, which again has nothing to do with money. In that same vein, if Abramovich hadn’t been behaving like a twat, I’d not have much against Chelsea at all.

One can be rich, and back a club the right way such as, for example, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim. Also, a big, rich club can be majority owned by its fans like Bayern Munich (and most of Bundesliga for that matter), and I mostly don’t have anything against them except for a few of their petulant players. Big and rich, in and of themselves, are not the end all be all, contrary to what you’ve assumed about me.

And this ‘happy for all the hangers on to support them because they’re rich’ non-sense: This is just another bad statement all around.* Part of that statement is based on an erroneous assumption, which I addressed above. Part of that statement is based on erroneous assumptions about fan-dom, which I addressed in previous posts. It’s getting a bit dull when the discussion is about how you’re jumping to conclusions rather than debating the merits.

Bluebirds said:
No I don't have a reading comprehension problem, pray do tell what is the alternative?

Do you not dislike the Glazers then? Or the way Man Utd players constantly besmirch the ref? Or how referees rarely award penalties at Old Trafford?
Or Rio Ferdinand?

Let me guess your user name is actually in deference to Roy's spiky demenaour alongside Adrian Chiles on ITV's football coverage and nothing whatsoever to do with his 12 year career at Old Trafford?

Still I concur that Leeds are dirty scum :)

You still don’t believe that I don’t support Man Utd? I’m aware that this is partially my own undoing, but I’ve basically suggested that if Man City had won the title in, for example, 2006, I would’ve been delighted. If that isn’t a litmus test, I don’t know what is. Or if Liverpool didn’t have Suarez, Gerrard and different management, and would win a league title, I really wouldn’t care less. That’s obviously anathema to a Man Utd supporter, which I decidedly am not.

To your specific questions, you’re correct that there certainly are plenty of reasons to dislike Man Utd. I’m not a fan of Rooney. If accounts are to be believed, Giggs did some very awful things. I don’t like the Glazers. But there is one thing I really do appreciate about Man Utd (Fergie, Roy Keane, Evra, Vidic, Fletcher, et al.), and that is their immense drive to win. We hear it from fans all the time: I just want to see my team do their best, they say. But in the premiership at least, Man Utd have gone and done just that, and they’ve also withstood the money onslaught from both Chelsea and Man City no less. We also hear it from City players themselves about how Man Utd are like machines in their drive to win. That’s commendable and counts for a lot in my book especially in this modern age where we see apathetic, rich players lose interest at will. But still, does that mean that I support them? The answer is an affirmative no. The pros and cons of Man Utd sort of even themselves out as far as my perception of them is concerned. And besides, like I’ve said before, I’ve stopped supporting clubs years ago. I just want to be entertained by excellent, passionate, high-quality football.

Let me put it in terms of numbers: Man Utd = 0. Most other clubs = 0. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, City and a few others = -1. It’s really that simple.

malvachat said:
I fail to understand how this thread has gone.
It's supposed to be about Man City.
Not some silly little pub argument.
Do you silly people really think your stupid remarks are of interest to real football fans.

Get back to the football.
How about all the stories coming out now about the manner of Roberto Mancini's style of management.
Apparently not a very likeable chap.
I suppose that doesn't matter when your winning but when your not??
I see Gael Clichy has signed up for more.
Good solid player as is Pablo Zabaleta.
Shame about the sending off in the final although it was the justified.
I always liked Micah Richards earlier in his career but he seems to have stood still.
I think he's make a good centre half as I don't see Joleon Lescott staying.
It's going to be an interesting summer.

Are you also the chap who peers down his nose at football banter too? Relax mate. No need to get your knickers in a twist. This is all irrelevant if you want to get down to it.

You still don’t believe that I don’t support Man Utd? I’m aware that this is partially my own undoing, but I’ve basically suggested that if Man City had won the title in, for example, 2006, I would’ve been delighted. If that isn’t a litmus test, I don’t know what is. Or if Liverpool didn’t have Suarez, Gerrard and different management, and would win a league title, I really wouldn’t care less. That’s obviously anathema to a Man Utd supporter, which I decidedly am not.

To your specific questions, you’re correct that there certainly are plenty of reasons to dislike Man Utd. I’m not a fan of Rooney. If accounts are to be believed, Giggs did some very awful things. I don’t like the Glazers. But there is one thing I really do appreciate about Man Utd (Fergie, Roy Keane, Evra, Vidic, Fletcher, et al.), and that is their immense drive to win. We hear it from fans all the time: I just want to see my team do their best, they say. But in the premiership at least, Man Utd have gone and done just that, and they’ve also withstood the money onslaught from both Chelsea and Man City no less. We also hear it from City players themselves about how Man Utd are like machines in their drive to win. That’s commendable and counts for a lot in my book especially in this modern age where we see apathetic, rich players lose interest at will. But still, does that mean that I support them? The answer is an affirmative no. The pros and cons of Man Utd sort of even themselves out as far as my perception of them is concerned. And besides, like I’ve said before, I’ve stopped supporting clubs years ago. I just want to be entertained by excellent, passionate, high-quality football.

Let me put it in terms of numbers: Man Utd = 0. Most other clubs = 0. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, City and a few others = -1. It’s really that simple.

Fair enough; very good answer and you seem to know your onions! Although I may be in a miority but I feel giggs off-field acitivities should not distract from him being the most decorated Brtish footballer of al time (but maybe I'm biased)

I'd like to congratulate Yeovil on a wonderful achievement today, Ian Botham used to play for them. Another person whose off-field activities during his career often left a lot to be desired yet history has shown him to be one of England's greatest ever sportspersons.

Perhaps Kewpie could moderate this thread so non-related Man City posts are put in the other thread (or is this is a mod/ Kewpie free zone?)

Talking of which although Mancini was allegedly unpopular with players and staff there are many examples of managers not getting along with their team. This modern day "they lost the changing room" strikes of players with too much money and influence. eg certain elements of the Chelsea squad today not thinking Benitez was worthy of being involved in the lap of honour. His achievement at that club this season was fantastic against utter vitiriol from a lot of their "fans". Although his greatest achievement may prove to be finally undermining Terry's influence at the club.

I also thinkk the reason why Mancini was sacked lies with his ineptitude in certain crucial matches this season and the owenr's realisation that to success in Europe would not have happened under him. Mancini's record in Europe is pretty woeful. I think Benitez could be an outside bet for the City job, especilly as I believe Pelligrini for all his coaching accolades may struggle in the Premiership. I have no evidence for this whatsoever, just a gut feeling. Perhaps Benitez would be best advised to bide his time?

Last edited:
This screengrab would make Morrissey happy, right? I'm always confused as to his team of choice. I'm a fan of baseball, I root for the Dodgers AND the Angels, I wondered if he likes this thread's team too.

945291_10100302081233732_1780343939_n.jpg

I’ve noticed a pattern in your posts (in this thread and others): You tend to think in binary terms, but the world isn’t all 1s and 0s. There are plenty of other numbers that matter.

Consistently, you think that I hate big clubs because they’re rich. That’s mind-boggling because I specified how I disfavor Barcelona and Real Madrid for non-money and ‘bigness’ reasons such as their petulance, crowding of refs and flailing on the pitch. I also said that I disfavor Liverpool because of Suarez, Gerrard and how their management behaved particularly within recent controversies, which again has nothing to do with money. In that same vein, if Abramovich hadn’t been behaving like a twat, I’d not have much against Chelsea at all.

One can be rich, and back a club the right way such as, for example, TSG 1899 Hoffenheim. Also, a big, rich club can be majority owned by its fans like Bayern Munich (and most of Bundesliga for that matter), and I mostly don’t have anything against them except for a few of their petulant players. Big and rich, in and of themselves, are not the end all be all, contrary to what you’ve assumed about me.

And this ‘happy for all the hangers on to support them because they’re rich’ non-sense: This is just another bad statement all around.* Part of that statement is based on an erroneous assumption, which I addressed above. Part of that statement is based on erroneous assumptions about fan-dom, which I addressed in previous posts. It’s getting a bit dull when the discussion is about how you’re jumping to conclusions rather than debating the merits.

Are you also the chap who peers down his nose at football banter too? Relax mate. No need to get your knickers in a twist. This is all irrelevant if you want to get down to it.

I switched off when your post turned into yet another personal attack in the first sentence. I bet once you put the Internet away you couldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight to quote Jay Z.

I switched off when your post turned into yet another personal attack in the first sentence. I bet once you put the Internet away you couldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight to quote Jay Z.

Welcome to Thunderdome, bitch!

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Two men enter, one man leaves!

Johnny Marr, Mark E Smith, Eddie Large, Jukebox Jury, Curly Watts.... Your boys took one helluva Poznan

Johnny Marr, Mark E Smith, Eddie Large, Jukebox Jury, Curly Watts.... Your boys took one helluva Poznan

I doff my cap to you and your fellow Bluebirds. Job well done. Great atmosphere in the stadium.

And not to imply that you didn't deserve your victory, because you did. On a different note, what in the world has happened to Hart? His performance for team and country the past year or so has been shocking. A change for England?

Back
Top Bottom