Sweet and Tender Talenless Twats

H

Hibernianbilly

You Americans need your ears cleaned out, I just heard the Sweet and Tender Hooligans, a band that I hear so much about on this site. It was truly awful, both in itself and as an impersonation. Thank god for the Atlantic.

> You Americans need your ears cleaned out, I just heard the Sweet and
> Tender Hooligans, a band that I hear so much about on this site. It was
> truly awful, both in itself and as an impersonation. Thank god for the
> Atlantic.

No self-respecting human being would ever consider them worth their time!
I am an American, and proud to say I would NEVER be entertained by such crap!

LWF

Sweet and Tender Hooligans

Bit sad review Hibs, I saw 'em in Manchester last year & I thought they were great, if you expected to see the Smiths then go get a video, if you want to see a TRIBUTE band then go see The Sweet & Tender Hooligans.
Grim O'Grady

Re: Sweet and Tender Hooligans

I can only tell you what I saw on a video Grim. I wasn't expecting the Smiths, I was expecting A TRIBUTE, not a guy singing like a muppet.It would be wiser to get a good pro band who interpret Smiths songs than a TRIBUTE band. Sorry, but i think this band have very little understanding of their material and serve only to produce awful cliche.

> Bit sad review Hibs, I saw 'em in Manchester last year & I thought
> they were great, if you expected to see the Smiths then go get a video, if
> you want to see a TRIBUTE band then go see The Sweet & Tender
> Hooligans.
> Grim O'Grady

I've not seen them on video so maybe you don't get the feeling or the atmosphere coming across but I'd recommend anyone to go see them live, were did you get the video from Hibs? Was it of the Manchester show 14/9/01 by any chance?
cheers
Grim O'Grady

No, it was an item about Moz and his mexican fans on 'Passengers' channel 4 show.

> I've not seen them on video so maybe you don't get the feeling or the
> atmosphere coming across but I'd recommend anyone to go see them live,
> were did you get the video from Hibs? Was it of the Manchester show
> 14/9/01 by any chance?
> cheers
> Grim O'Grady

From the shows I've attended, I'd say they are the best Smiths/Morrissey tribute band i've seen so far, I have seen a few bands and not any can sound as good as they do.

I can understand you thinking they sound awful, the recordings I've heard and seen really don't sound great, but when you see them in person they really are amazing! What else did you expect, a studio recording??

If you expected the smiths/Morrissey you should have watched one of their video's. You have to undrestand they do this as a hobby not a CAREER!!!!

Oh that recording was something else, they absolutely do not sound like that trust me on this one! I was supprised myself when I first seen it, and to think that was pro done? The place had a bad sound I should know, I was there. I don't expect any one to take it from me, but there is a major difference when you see them yourself.

I think you need to read my messages. I am clearly NOT expecting to see The Smiths or Morrissey. The singer in TSTH simply sounds awful, like a muppet.
I am not sure why you ask if I am expecting to hear a studio recording, a fella doing a really bad impersonation of Moz is gonna sound awful regardless of the manner in which he is recorded. Advising me to watch Smiths videos is quite infantile and avoids the debate completely.

> From the shows I've attended, I'd say they are the best Smiths/Morrissey
> tribute band i've seen so far, I have seen a few bands and not any can
> sound as good as they do.

> I can understand you thinking they sound awful, the recordings I've heard
> and seen really don't sound great, but when you see them in person they
> really are amazing! What else did you expect, a studio recording??

> If you expected the smiths/Morrissey you should have watched one of their
> video's. You have to undrestand they do this as a hobby not a CAREER!!!!

Dear oh dear me Hibernian.

Hibernianbilly, you are a daft sod aren't you? Your posting's are a bit silly, really. You come on here giving it all 'that' calling people this, being a critic of this, when really you don't have a bloody clue!

You haven't even seen the band and you think you have the right to call them 'twats'. You fool... the TV is no way to judge a 'live' band.

Please, think a little bit harder before you start mouthing off again. Just try.

Re: Dear oh dear me Hibernian.

Ok lets see. We will put your insults to one side. Try to remember that music is subjective and my opinion is as valid as yours and the next man's and so on. Try not to get so agitated by other's opinions. If you dont believe in debate and discussion then step aside and leave it to the rest of us. As I say, I heard a band and gave an opinion. Excuses about TV, being no way to judge a band doesnt wash with me or anybody else. TV is just a mix of moving pictures and sound, unless I am missing something.

> Hibernianbilly, you are a daft sod aren't you? Your posting's are a bit
> silly, really. You come on here giving it all 'that' calling people this,
> being a critic of this, when really you don't have a bloody clue!

> You haven't even seen the band and you think you have the right to call
> them 'twats'. You fool... the TV is no way to judge a 'live' band.

> Please, think a little bit harder before you start mouthing off again.
> Just try.

Hibernian strikes again.

Well yes my boy, you ARE missing something. My goodness child, we are talking about a LIVE band here. 'LIVE' being the operative word, and if I'm not mistaken (which I'm not), the ONLY way to really appreciate a live band is to go see them 'live'.

You mistakenly accuse me of getting agitated with the opinions of other people. Ha ha! How wrong can one person be? As wrong as you, obviously!

Actually, what I was most agitated about in your posting was the fact that you had the nerve... no hold on, that sounds like you have guts... erm, nearly there... the cheek (yes, that's better...) to call a Smiths/Morrissey tribute band 'twats' in your subject title. Now, having met the band and seeing them when they came over to the UK, I can vouch that they are indeed, not 'twats' (as you so intelligently put it) and very nice people who do this out of a LOVE for the music and as a hobby. Not for any other reason. Certainly not for the money by all accounts!

I recommend to you, my dear Hibernian, if you regard yourself as some sort of critic, that you start using the language of someone with a decent grasp of what is (and WHAT ISN'T) acceptable in debate and critique.

Take it on board my friend. It is good advice... I mean, we don't want you to look daft now do we!?

Please reply, this is fun!

Re: Hibernian strikes again.

Northerner,
did you go to the Star & Garter to see them?
I was there, most enjoyable evening.
Grim O'Grady

Re: Hibernian strikes again.

Hmmm..you clearly have a gripe against me and you have some sort of association with this 'band'. Sorry, I find them embarressing. You have no chance of a fight with me friend, I am too busy and too wise. Goodnight.

> Well yes my boy, you ARE missing something. My goodness child, we are
> talking about a LIVE band here. 'LIVE' being the operative word, and if
> I'm not mistaken (which I'm not), the ONLY way to really appreciate a live
> band is to go see them 'live'.

> You mistakenly accuse me of getting agitated with the opinions of other
> people. Ha ha! How wrong can one person be? As wrong as you, obviously!

> Actually, what I was most agitated about in your posting was the fact that
> you had the nerve... no hold on, that sounds like you have guts... erm,
> nearly there... the cheek (yes, that's better...) to call a
> Smiths/Morrissey tribute band 'twats' in your subject title. Now, having
> met the band and seeing them when they came over to the UK, I can vouch
> that they are indeed, not 'twats' (as you so intelligently put it) and
> very nice people who do this out of a LOVE for the music and as a hobby.
> Not for any other reason. Certainly not for the money by all accounts!

> I recommend to you, my dear Hibernian, if you regard yourself as some sort
> of critic, that you start using the language of someone with a decent
> grasp of what is (and WHAT ISN'T) acceptable in debate and critique.

> Take it on board my friend. It is good advice... I mean, we don't want you
> to look daft now do we!?

> Please reply, this is fun!

Hibernian... yoo hoo!

> Hmmm..you clearly have a gripe against me and you have some sort of
> association with this 'band'. Sorry, I find them embarressing. You have no
> chance of a fight with me friend, I am too busy and too wise. Goodnight.

Dear Hibs,

Too busy maybe, but by reading past postings by you on this matter, I know you're not too wise!

I don't want to 'fight' you either, but you've got to have the courage of your convictions my dear boy - you called them 'twats'. Now, you don't REALLY think this is acceptable behaviour do you? Your "I find them embarressing [sic]" excuse is pathetic, as you have already stated that you haven't even seen them in the flesh!

C'mon Hibernian boy, give it a go and try and point out why I'm wrong. I bet you can't come up with a good enough argument to make me see things differently. I'd love to read what you have to say though!

Oh, and I have no gripe with you. Like you and the Sweet and Tender Hooligans, I've never met you, and can only judge you by the postings on here. In which case, you seem like a passionate enough chappy.

Yours,

Northener. xxx.

(and if they're northern, that makes it even worse...)

Re: Hibernian... yoo hoo!

OK, I am not wise, if you say so. But I am not wasting energy on conflict. I saw the TSTH on TV, the singers voice was an appaling mockery of Morrissey's. Do you want me to pretend that I liked what I heard ? The fact that you had a great time at TSTH gig doesnt change my mind, because I have EARS !!! I think you are confusing the experience you had sharing a night out with friends, with the act you saw that night. My view is objective, it is not tainted by the rush of the live experience ,of a few beers or mates or whatever. In my living room, totally sober, I watched a band and they were AWFUL. What is your objection to my having an opnion ?

> Dear Hibs,

> Too busy maybe, but by reading past postings by you on this matter, I know
> you're not too wise!

> I don't want to 'fight' you either, but you've got to have the courage of
> your convictions my dear boy - you called them 'twats'. Now, you don't
> REALLY think this is acceptable behaviour do you? Your "I find them
> embarressing [sic]" excuse is pathetic, as you have already stated
> that you haven't even seen them in the flesh!

> C'mon Hibernian boy, give it a go and try and point out why I'm wrong. I
> bet you can't come up with a good enough argument to make me see things
> differently. I'd love to read what you have to say though!

> Oh, and I have no gripe with you. Like you and the Sweet and Tender
> Hooligans, I've never met you, and can only judge you by the postings on
> here. In which case, you seem like a passionate enough chappy.

> Yours,

> Northener. xxx.

> (and if they're northern, that makes it even worse...)

Cover bands are NEVER valid artists.

> Well yes my boy, you ARE missing something. My goodness child, we are
> talking about a LIVE band here. 'LIVE' being the operative word, and if
> I'm not mistaken (which I'm not), the ONLY way to really appreciate a live
> band is to go see them 'live'.

Perhaps it's too painful for him, a reminder of what the smiths once were 'live'. Either that or this band just plain sucks. hehehe

> You mistakenly accuse me of getting agitated with the opinions of other
> people. Ha ha! How wrong can one person be? As wrong as you, obviously!

This post alone is a perfect example of your agitation brought on by the opinions of others. Allow me to hand you a mirror, you should see yourself now.

> Actually, what I was most agitated about in your posting was the fact that
> you had the nerve... no hold on, that sounds like you have guts... erm,
> nearly there... the cheek (yes, that's better...)
to call a
> Smiths/Morrissey tribute band 'twats' in your subject title. Now, having
> met the band and seeing them when they came over to the UK, I can vouch
> that they are indeed, not 'twats' (as you so intelligently put it)

But the truth is that they ARE indeed, unfortunate as it may sound, twats.

and
> very nice people who do this out of a LOVE for the music and as a hobby.

I'm sure they're very nice and "sweet" and do it out of love for the music. No debate (please sedate)...

> Not for any other reason.

That is were you are wrong. They do it because they have NO creative talent of their own. The couldn't write an original song even if their lives depended on it. Fake wannabe "musicians" simply playing, no mimmicking, erm...stealing the songs of others, toying with the fools who long for the glory days of the smiths. It'll never happen...wake up, quit dreaming and realize that coverbands are talentless "twats" incapable of creating their own original tunes. ANYONE can play the smiths music if they rehearse long enough. Besides tattered levi's with 2ft. quiffs are so passe, so 1995, so mexican-american nowadays. Bottom line, they are not the smiths. RepeaT, they are not the smiths. Wannabe's suck damp ass.

> Certainly not for the money by all accounts!

LOL

> I recommend to you, my dear Hibernian, if you regard yourself as some sort
> of critic, that you start using the language of someone with a decent
> grasp of what is (and WHAT ISN'T) acceptable in debate and critique.

Oh, the hypocrisy! I love it! Feed me, feed me more. The drama, it kills me! This is better than being in a gay bar!

> Take it on board my friend. It is good advice... I mean, we don't want you
> to look daft now do we!?

Bon voyage, oh wait, your ship's already sailed.

> Please reply, this is fun!

Isn't it though!

> OK, I am not wise, if you say so. But I am not wasting energy on conflict.
> I saw the TSTH on TV, the singers voice was an appaling mockery of
> Morrissey's. Do you want me to pretend that I liked what I heard ? The
> fact that you had a great time at TSTH gig doesnt change my mind, because
> I have EARS !!! I think you are confusing the experience you had sharing a
> night out with friends, with the act you saw that night. My view is
> objective, it is not tainted by the rush of the live experience ,of a few
> beers or mates or whatever. In my living room, totally sober, I watched a
> band and they were AWFUL. What is your objection to my having an opnion ?

Hibernian,

Do I REALLY have to repeat myself? My objection isn't with your opinion... instead it's with the ease and willingness that you wrote 'twats' in the subject title of your original posting. STILL, you do not make an appropriate excuse/apology for this. The fact you are wrong on this matter seems to have passed you by. Can you be this naive? Please say "no", and either apologise or explain why you saw it appropriate to call some people who love the same music you do SO MUCH, that they decided to get up on stage and try their best and replicate it. I mean, is THAT such a crime?

And for your information, (and I've said this ALREADY...) you really need to see the band live before you make a judgement. INSTEAD, what you did was come on to a website and try and be as offensive as you could by calling them what you did. And for what? 'Oh, Hibernian has an opinion, so that's okay'... NO, it's not okay. And you should apologise... cos it's not acceptable to call people 'twats'. Especially if you don't even know them.

You see, Hibernian, it's so safe writing on the internet. You can say WHAT YOU LIKE, and be anonymous. I've taken an exception to your posting because I feel it's unacceptable for someone to call someone a 'twat' on this website (A website dedicated to the marvel that is Morrissey). You wouldn't do it to their faces, so why here? Well, we all know the answer to that I guess.

Oh, and in reply to your last posting... I went to the Sweet And Tender Hooligans gig on my own (not with mates, as you said), didn't drink (cos I had to drive...) and went purely because I have never seen some of the songs they play, in a live music environment. I'm not old enough to have seen The Smiths and I have only been lucky enough to have seen MOZ once (it was like a dream, by the way...).

C'mon Hibernian... try your best. Find it within yourself to excuse yourself for what I find offensive. If you can't excuse yourself, you'd better come up with a bloody good reason for the wording you used. 'Twat' isn't a nice word and I've a feeling you realise that now.

You've got to remember, the people who play in the Sweet And Tender Hooligans are actually VERY pleasant and GOOD at what they do. The Passengers programme you saw (I saw it too, incidentally) was inaccurate and it wanted to mickey take... that was the whole idea of the piece. "Oh, look at THESE guys... still into a musical movement WE left behind nearly 20 years ago!!!". Oh please.

Yours, Northerner.
(Fresh from the MOZ night at the Star and Garter, Manchester).

This is quite ridiculous. You are now going for the 'oh you are hiding behind your computer, wouldn't say it to their faces' nonsense. I wouldn't walk up to TSTH and say 'you are twats' because it would make me look like a lunatic and they could quite rightly say, 'well, don't come and see us then'. If TSTH approached me and asked me whatI thought of them, I would say, 'I am sorry but I didn't enjoy your show'. The fact that you are so upset by my provocative use of the term 'twat' on an internet site demonstartes a level of immaturity and oversensitivity that I do not understand. You seem determined to get an apology. I think you are taking this too seriously and getting too involved in what is just an internet site for opinions that you don't have to respond to. Again, they sounded lousy and I wouldn't waste time on them.

> Hibernian,

> Do I REALLY have to repeat myself? My objection isn't with your opinion...
> instead it's with the ease and willingness that you wrote 'twats' in the
> subject title of your original posting. STILL, you do not make an
> appropriate excuse/apology for this. The fact you are wrong on this matter
> seems to have passed you by. Can you be this naive? Please say
> "no", and either apologise or explain why you saw it appropriate
> to call some people who love the same music you do SO MUCH, that they
> decided to get up on stage and try their best and replicate it. I mean, is
> THAT such a crime?

> And for your information, (and I've said this ALREADY...) you really need
> to see the band live before you make a judgement. INSTEAD, what you did
> was come on to a website and try and be as offensive as you could by
> calling them what you did. And for what? 'Oh, Hibernian has an opinion, so
> that's okay'... NO, it's not okay. And you should apologise... cos it's
> not acceptable to call people 'twats'. Especially if you don't even know
> them.

> You see, Hibernian, it's so safe writing on the internet. You can say WHAT
> YOU LIKE, and be anonymous. I've taken an exception to your posting
> because I feel it's unacceptable for someone to call someone a 'twat' on
> this website (A website dedicated to the marvel that is Morrissey). You
> wouldn't do it to their faces, so why here? Well, we all know the answer
> to that I guess.

> Oh, and in reply to your last posting... I went to the Sweet And Tender
> Hooligans gig on my own (not with mates, as you said), didn't drink (cos I
> had to drive...) and went purely because I have never seen some of the
> songs they play, in a live music environment. I'm not old enough to have
> seen The Smiths and I have only been lucky enough to have seen MOZ once
> (it was like a dream, by the way...).

> C'mon Hibernian... try your best. Find it within yourself to excuse
> yourself for what I find offensive. If you can't excuse yourself, you'd
> better come up with a bloody good reason for the wording you used. 'Twat'
> isn't a nice word and I've a feeling you realise that now.

> You've got to remember, the people who play in the Sweet And Tender
> Hooligans are actually VERY pleasant and GOOD at what they do. The
> Passengers programme you saw (I saw it too, incidentally) was inaccurate
> and it wanted to mickey take... that was the whole idea of the piece.
> "Oh, look at THESE guys... still into a musical movement WE left
> behind nearly 20 years ago!!!". Oh please.

> Yours, Northerner.
> (Fresh from the MOZ night at the Star and Garter, Manchester).

I must say though I've thouroughly enjoyed this 'debate'; I'm 100% with Hibernianbilly on this one. I would wager every person trying to reprimand him for his original post is either 1) IN the band, or 2) Sleeping with or hopes to someday be sleeping with a member of the band. Why? because even the most devout amongst us Smiths/Moz fans are not going to be so passionate about defending a band receiving credit for songs they didn't write and couldn't aspire to. They are NOT the Smiths, and therefore Smiths fans would not be crying so loudly about an alleged offense against them unless they had a personal stake in the matter. Furthermore, I would have to say that if you ARE in fact in the band (Northerner, you seem the most likely suspect for this) I really recommend you learn to take some criticism. There's plenty more where that came from in the 'big bad world' of the music industry, and even if this is 'only a hobby' you need to have a thicker shell if you hope to continue enjoying it.

Back
Top Bottom