andy and mike article in the guardian

I think Mike had a bit of a boy-crush on Johnny!

"...orgbox
24 January 2012 5:33PM
Response to bingleyjason, 24 January 2012 4:37PM
I have never been less than pleased about being kicked out, maybe you just imagined meeting me? This whole article is shoddy, apparently a piece about the first gig, which Andy wasnt actually at, so its a solo piece from Mike. Surely this barrel has been well and truly scraped? This gig and subsequent ones have been well documented in numerous books, some accurate, some cobbled together with the help of Google.

It's irrelevant, there is no mystique around a first gig, the only question that an experienced journalist might ask, is how did a band with 4 songs to it's name, and no track record, secure a support act with one of the UK's top bands ? There were so many "known" bands in Manchester at that time, that would have jumped at a support slot like this......"

This was in the comments under the article implying it was Dale Hibbert.... I have not read extensively but is there record of how they got the 1st gig?

"...orgbox
24 January 2012 5:33PM
Response to bingleyjason, 24 January 2012 4:37PM
I have never been less than pleased about being kicked out, maybe you just imagined meeting me? This whole article is shoddy, apparently a piece about the first gig, which Andy wasnt actually at, so its a solo piece from Mike. Surely this barrel has been well and truly scraped? This gig and subsequent ones have been well documented in numerous books, some accurate, some cobbled together with the help of Google.

It's irrelevant, there is no mystique around a first gig, the only question that an experienced journalist might ask, is how did a band with 4 songs to it's name, and no track record, secure a support act with one of the UK's top bands ? There were so many "known" bands in Manchester at that time, that would have jumped at a support slot like this......"

This was in the comments under the article implying it was Dale Hibbert.... I have not read extensively but is there record of how they got the 1st gig?

I never imagined there was any mystery or intrigue involved in starting their gigging career. Is the original ,allegedly, Hibbert-ian quote meant to imply perhaps that Hibbert organised the first gig through music contacts (acquired through his engineering job) and would now like this role acknowledged in Smiths history ? I'm confused and the plot, as ever, thickens.

Last edited:
I think Mike had a bit of a boy-crush on Johnny!

I have a bit of a boy crush on Mike... esp. when he was young. I don't care if he's "dumb" and everyone hates him and he looks like Frankenstein's monster, I think he's swell... Not being sarcastic either.

Haters gonna hate.

Back
Top Bottom