The Sound of the Smiths Complete

I was wondering what the lot of you -- who care to discuss this sort of thing -- felt about 'The Smiths Complete' and 'The Sound of the Smiths' sets

particularily, the sound of both sets, in lieu of Marr and Arkwright's remastering job.

I have heard a lot of banter over the years regarding 'The Sound of the Smiths' sounding brickwalled-to-shit and sounding "too modern", but I couldn't find a whole lot of discussion in the Solo archives

I haven't heard much outside of good things regarding the sound of the 'Smiths Complete' remastering job, and I attest to this

the packaging of 'Complete'...not so much. Some serious errors in the super-deluxe box set which are inexcusable

but I'm interested to hear what you all think because I haven't heard much of any discussion on the matter of either...

I was wondering what the lot of you -- who care to discuss this sort of thing -- felt about 'The Smiths Complete' and 'The Sound of the Smiths' sets

particularily, the sound of both sets, in lieu of Marr and Arkwright's remastering job.

I have heard a lot of banter over the years regarding 'The Sound of the Smiths' sounding brickwalled-to-shit and sounding "too modern", but I couldn't find a whole lot of discussion in the Solo archives

I haven't heard much outside of good things regarding the sound of the 'Smiths Complete' remastering job, and I attest to this

the packaging of 'Complete'...not so much. Some serious errors in the super-deluxe box set which are inexcusable

but I'm interested to hear what you all think because I haven't heard much of any discussion on the matter of either...

The remasters are excellent. Are they necessary? No.

My recommendation, to anyone with some cash to burn, is to buy the least expensive format available, because the remasters do sound better. For those who either cannot or do not want to buy the same songs over again, the remasters are nothing a fan can't live without.

I think the original Rough Trade CDs sound much better. I bought both "The Sound Of The Smiths" and "Complete" and listened to them once, and then got back to my old CDs.

Hi Thesmithsmorrissey,

I don't think a lot of the board members are too concerned about sound, so don't expect too many replies. Here is an interesting discussion regarding the remasters vs old CDs from people who are more familiar with that sort of stuff:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=266650

Even if Marr and Arkwright kept all the levels at the same volume of the original CDs, the improvements in D/A technology alone would have provided a tremendous improvement. I even quite like the 2001 The Very Best of the Smiths compilation. Looks like the vinyl is still the way to go. Hope this helps somewhat.

I've asked this question many times, but never got an answer: What happened to the remasters that Stephen Street had been working on according to his website?

I think the original Rough Trade CDs sound much better. I bought both "The Sound Of The Smiths" and "Complete" and listened to them once, and then got back to my old CDs.

Yep, it goes Orig RT> Orig SIRE > New Remasters, IMO.

speaking of Complete...

During the TOTP performance clip of What Difference Does It Make? from the Complete Picture

at the beginning of the video, just before Mozzer starts singing, there's this goofy black dude in the audience who starts doing this funky robot dance for a few seconds, and then just sort of slides to the right out of frame, and there are two girls in front of him who look back and start laughing hysterically.

That shit is hilarious and sometimes when watching the Complete Picture I'll watch that guy dance multiple times before going any further into the video

Back
Top Bottom