An American in Georgia(the country)

I spent the night before I left in the company of
SAM_3959.jpg

SAM_3946.jpg

these fine people, we had all planned to see some of the sites of the capitol before leaving, but a blizzard kept us in
however, I had seen many of them on previous trips to the capitol, though the camera I had then eventually broke and I got rid of it without taking out the little memory chip with the photos on it
anyways here are some photos others took that give one idea of some of the sprawling capitol of Georgia which is
night-tbilisi.jpg

Tbilisi
kartlis-deda.jpg

just as you come in to TB from the north? is the "Kartlis Deda"(mother of Georgia) She symbolizes the Georgian national character:
in her left hand she holds a bowl of wine to greet those who come as friends, and in her right hand is a sword for those who come as enemies.
Nari_Kala_at_Night_Tbilisi.jpg

Narikala fortress, a steep walk to reach the top of it, but its worth it for the view, especially at night. Oh yeah, and it also seems to be where young Georgian couples go to "make out"
Tavisupleba_square_Monument_of_St_George.jpg

now known as "Freedom Square" this is where democracy was born in Georgia a decade ago
the monument of St. George slaying a dragon is pretty cool too
bridge-of-peace_tbilisi.jpg

the "Bridge of Peace" across Kura river, completed in 2010
most of the locals don't like the way it looks, referring to it as mshvidobis khidi or "always ultra"
for its resemblance to a ladies' maxi-pad
opera.jpg

the new opera house, supposed to be stunning outside, but I did not get a chance to in

Last edited:
final thougts & photos from Georgia

even though living in Georgia was very hard, I do really miss some fellow "non-Georgians" I met there
and my favorite students:
Sami.jpg

Sami
Lili.jpg

Lili
Gemaliko.jpg

Gemaliko
Asmali.jpg

Asmali
Nini.jpg

Nini
Irakli.jpg

Irakli
mari6.jpg

to 6 year old Mari, but of the Georgians I met, the one that improved the quality of my life there the most
was my always kind, main "co-teacher"
SAM_3942.jpg

Asmati

Last edited:
me update

so I accepted a job offer to teach in Chengdu, China
hopefully, I will be there by May
perhaps once there I will make a new thread about my adventures while there
perhaps not :o

Re: me update

gbHD2_zpse79bdc9f.jpg

finally left the
gbHD6_zps266a5b2c.jpg

"high desert"
gbHD5_zpsbea2bc1c.jpg

for good this time
gbHD1_zps7c8b04bf.jpg

there is nothing to come back to
gbHD6_zps266a5b2c.jpg

now that my mom is moved north
gbHD4_zps750efbd5.jpg

this was one of the hardest moves
gbHD3_zps77c3b9ac.jpg

but before I left, I made sure to say goodbye to "Horsie", really the only friend I made up in that hell hole, then
lfo_zps43b859d9.jpg

it was off to a night down in Hollywood, went to an old club called "Bar Sinister" there were a lot of people at it
most of them I did not recognize at all, clubbing is defo a young person's game
also, one of the people I did know told me some truly horrible news about someone that was once very close to me
at first I thought they were just messing with me, finally, much later another "ex-friend" did confirm that she had been gravely ill, but was better now
I was so happy to hear, isnt it weird how the well being of someone you have been exiled from the presence of can still have an effect on some of us?
guessing that will be on my mind for a while
anyways, I was planning on a thread like this one started as, but this time with me in China
however, some much of the internet is blocked there, I doubt I will even be able to visit this site...

Be safe in China, Robby. My friend did an internship there for a year and it changed his life, you'll love it. Take lots of pics. I love Kartlis Deda. She's my new hero. :D

Be safe in China, Robby. My friend did an internship there for a year and it changed his life, you'll love it. Take lots of pics. I love Kartlis Deda. She's my new hero. :D

Sure thing CG, and I will defo take lots of pics.
As for the "mother of Georgia" its weird, when you are walking up to get a better view of her, sometime it seemed like she was looking right at me :eek:

Sure thing CG, and I will defo take lots of pics.
As for the "mother of Georgia" its weird, when you are walking up to get a better view of her, sometime it seemed like she was looking right at me :eek:

She was. ;)

Back
Top Bottom